How to find elk in dark timber?

Wallows and trail cans are my best friend. Also elk maybe be super vocal you're just not close enough to hear them. Sounds stupid but I run into a lot of out of staters who say they're not talking. As I'm packing meat out after a rut fest.
Definitely don't rely on bugles. That's a horrible stradegy. Rely on knowing an area and how the elk use the landscape. Bugles are just a badass bonus!

OP
S
Wallows and trail cans are my best friend. Also elk maybe be super vocal you're just not close enough to hear them. Sounds stupid but I run into a lot of out of staters who say they're not talking. As I'm packing meat out after a rut fest.
Definitely don't rely on bugles. That's a horrible stradegy. Rely on knowing an area and how the elk use the landscape. Bugles are just a badass bonus!

I do understand your logic, but I do not know any area really so I was thinking hoping for bugles would be second best. But I think I have decided to go to this area and try to expand on the little knowledge I have of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ What he said....

Go slow into the wind the best you can and really, really, really, listen. If you hunt the timber like I do you notice every branch snap. And you soon learn the difference between a "thunk" "thud" "tick" "Pop" and a "snap". All of which I over analyze 90% of the time. lol
I feel like I have a good eye for game in the thick stuff. But I did spend 30 minutes once looking at a stump that I just KNEW was and elk butt.