How to find spot for wall tent (MT in Nov)

CJinGA

FNG
We'll be heading to MT in Nov for our first elk hunt. It will also be our first time camping with a canvas wall tent. How do you find a place to set up a camp like that? The areas we're looking at are mostly National Forests and I think they allow disbursed camping - is that the ticket for being able to set up camp? Is it just a matter of finding a suitable/flat spot along the side of the road and pulling over? Or do you target trail heads? Something else entirely?

TIA,
CJ

Generally there are designated campgrounds that are reasonably flat. Where I hunt these campgrounds have zero amenities, no restrooms...
Most trail-heads have places to park and set-up a camp

If I recall correctly Dispersed camping can be done anywhere in the forest, but requires you to be 1/4 mile or more from roads.

I generally take a spade shovel, a flat shovel, a pick and a rake, just to be sure I can improve the camp if necessary.

If there is snow make sure you dig down to bare dirt to check for evidence of horses. I made the mistake of setting up on a spot that had horses tied up earlier in the season. After a few days it was pretty evident. Took a couple heavy cleanings to get most of the horse piss stink out.

hobbes

WKR
Read the Forest Service regulations to make sure of the require. You will be able to camp almost anywhere that you want. There will be a maximum distance that you can drive/park off a designated road. It's just a matter of finding a suitable spot. Almost anything with that description has likely been used before and it will be evident, often by a fire ring.

OP
C

CJinGA

FNG
Thanks folks. That's what I had assumed, but wasn't sure and wanted to double check. In the Chattahoocee NF here in GA, you can 'dispersed camp' in as long as it isn't flagged as not available, but there really aren't any spots big enough to put a wall tent in those spots, so I wanted to see if that was the typical approach out west.

Thanks for the help! If you're in the area and see some rednecks with a GA tag wrestling with a wall tent feel free to come say hello. ha!