How to find the right back bar

Vandy321

WKR
Have a new (to me) Mathews Triax...sold an RX-1 for it. Love the overall feel (and deadness) of the Triax, but as many reviews have stated, it does feel pretty top heavy, even in the 28"ATA. I also am going from the MBG ascent verdict to a fast eddie XL and expect it to be slightly more top heavy with the XL mounted all the way out.

Have a 10" Bee Stinger on the front right now...but not sure how to size or setup a back bar?

Looking to keep it simple and small...was leaning towards just the simple/separate 6" bee stinger coming off angled...figure it'll be a trip into my local shop to help get it dialed in, but is that an easy/simple addition to help balance a hunting bow a little more? Trying to go more simple and less expensive than the bee stinger counter slide.

Thanks for the inputs.

big44a4

WKR
Experiment. Sounds like you might want to try a 6” on the front and 10” off the back (as you already have a 10). Or add more weight to the back bar to make up the difference etc. longer bars mean less weight will be needed to achieve the balance you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Yep - it's all about experimenting what works best for you. I personally run an 8" run on the bottom / rear mount of my triax with 8 oz (I think) and then a 10" on the front stabilizer mount with 4-6 oz if I remember correctly.

A good rule of thumb / starting point is:

Front Bar Length * Front Bar Weight = Rear Bar Length * Rear Bar weight. (example: If your front bar is twice as long as your rear, you'd start with twice the weight in the rear.)

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Any specific mounts I should be looking at for just a 6" bee stinger?

Brendan

WKR
I use this for the rear mount, not sure if there's anything better, but I like the quick release

Front mount, either no disconnect or one of these two. Theoretically the 10 degree down helps stabilize the bow vertically and keep you from canting:

I have the Beestinger Elite Side Bar Bracket, that I saved off a used bow i flipped. LAS #6890071 I failed to find it on their website. It works great on my Defiant 34 with 10 in/3oz front and 8 in/4oz back Bee stingers. I like a neutral balance, i.e. the bow naturally balances every direction at the grip, with the bottom every so slightly heavier, and this is perfect for my preference.
You will definitely need more rear weight on the Triax than I did to accomplish the same balance. If you have a rear stabilizer insert, I would probably use that. I like to be able to aim my back bar toward the ground somewhat, as opposed to parallel with the inserts, so I would go with something that lets you adjust up/down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
I like bowfinger or CBE mounts. Have stripped and seen other bee stinger side bar mounts get stripped when bow gets knocked over on accident etc. those were on target bows with 12-15” bars and 15-30oz on the back so not typical hunting bow scenario but wasted $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of guys I have talked to with newer Mathews all place the longer stab on the side/rear with a shorter one up front. When I was testing the Vertix, it seems t was balanced to tip straight forward after the shot which is nice, but does seem to hold a little funky.

BigWoods

WKR
On my Traverse (yes, its a bit longer!) I have an 8" stab (Fuse) and 2oz with a quick disconnect on the front and a 6" CBE Affect with 3oz mounted with a Mathews Static mount off the back. Its a simple and cheap setup, but the bow settles on target fast.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
thanks fellas! ...gonna swing by the shop today and have him mount up a few different setups, see what feels best.

figure that'll be quicker and more cost efficient than doing trial and error order stuff on my own. I see the answer is most likely not a one size fits all type of scenario.

Dshaft171

FNG
Yep - it's all about experimenting what works best for you. I personally run an 8" run on the bottom / rear mount of my triax with 8 oz (I think) and then a 10" on the front stabilizer mount with 4-6 oz if I remember correctly.

A good rule of thumb / starting point is:

Front Bar Length * Front Bar Weight = Rear Bar Length * Rear Bar weight. (example: If your front bar is twice as long as your rear, you'd start with twice the weight in the rear.)
Great info. Thanks!!

wapitibob

WKR
You’re creating a moment arm, and with a 10” bar on front, you don’t get a lot. I’d ditch the front bar and go to a 12-15 back bar. Add weight slowly to get the recoil management you need. 15 on the back will greatly reduce/remove the “yaw” that you typically see without a front bar.

ndbuck09

WKR
I run a 10 degree quick disconnect as the back bar mount on my hunting bow, mounted sidways and the bar comes off 10 degrees left, which allows the bar to clear the cables. It's a lot lighter than a true backbar mount for a hunting bow; allows more weight for the stabilizer while keeping the overall rig weight lower.