How to get into waterfowl hunting.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve been a big game hunter all my life and when I do go after small game it’s either upland or rabbits. Been thinking about waterfowl hunting for a few years. Any suggestions on how to get started? Just moved to Idaho from Michigan if that changes anything but there’s a few rivers and small lakes nearby. What basic gear do you need and what’s the learning curve compared to other styles of hunting?

Rob5589

WKR
Basics: Waders, gun, decoys, calls, ammo, place where there are ducks. If you're going to river hunt then a boat comes into play. Most of my hunting is done on wildlife refuges, state and federal, through a draw and lottery system. I'd look into that within Idaho. Someone experienced to help out will go a long way.
Just beware, it's addicting. Pretty soon you're checking every puddle for birds. 😁

4ncaDhf.jpg

The struggle is real.

ianpadron

WKR
No different than big game in that scouting is mission critical. Spring is the best time of the year to be finding spots, as the birds will be moving back North, hanging out in the same spots they hit during the fall migration. Depending on what part of Idaho you're in, you'll want to explore the local rivers, marshes, and creek bottoms...wouldn't hurt to get to know some farmers as well.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
Find spots with birds, learn to call a little bit, get a few decoys and you'll be shooting birds and then you'll keep learning as you go

Lamont22

FNG
Consider picking up a kayak if you don’t have one already. (I purchased a sit on top style made by Lifetime for $250 at Wal Mart). As was already mentioned, spring is a great time to scout and learn your area. Paddling a kayak around in the spring will help you learn the local waterways and find spots that hold birds. When the season opens, you can load the kayak up with decoys and gear to transport yourself to the areas you want to hunt. I stash the kayak in the brush and setup a hide in the cattails/brush while I sit on a small tripod seat. A dozen decoys or fewer works well on smaller rivers and waterways. Stay safe and enjoy! There is nothing like paddling around a dark marsh in the early morning or watching those circling mallards respond to your calling and cup up into the decoys.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
For waterfowling I would recommend finding a local that will let you tag along for the price of breakfast & gas or helping brush blinds in the off season. Instead of making a bunch of purchases of generic gear, figure out what your area specifically needs and then go from there.

Vandy321

WKR
Id go join duckhuntingchat.com forum as well, and start reading under the Michigan tab, get a feel for what and how folks waterfowl there. Being end of the season, also a good time to snag used gear

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
A) Birds will be where they want to be. I cant tell you how many times despite my decoys and calling the birds landed right over there, for what seems like no reason at all. That being said, If you are in "the spot" the birds will land there with just a couple of decoys and minimal calling.

B) Call to wing tips and tails. NEVER CALL TO BIRDS COMING TO YOU. They will spot you and they will flare.

C) A duck would never win a duck calling contest in Stuttgart. No stupid hail calls and no "feeding calls". Get a simple double reed and learn to do a simple quack and to do a 3-4 cadence quack.

D) Use a IC or mod choke. 2, 3, or 4s steelshot.

E) If there are no ducks around, take a leak, pour up a cup aof coffee, of adjust the dekes, those actions will bring in a suicide mallard from 3 counties over.

P.S. Before you shoot a duck, think about how youre going to retrieve the duck... (water depth) and if the "dead duck" starts swimming away, aim for the head.

adefect

FNG
Whistles work great and they have several books out there for ID purposes.

This is the book I bought when I started many years ago.

Rob5589

WKR
A) Birds will be where they want to be. I cant tell you how many times despite my decoys and calling the birds landed right over there, for what seems like no reason at all. That being said, If you are in "the spot" the birds will land there with just a couple of decoys and minimal calling.

B) Call to wing tips and tails. NEVER CALL TO BIRDS COMING TO YOU. They will spot you and they will flare.

C) A duck would never win a duck calling contest in Stuttgart. No stupid hail calls and no "feeding calls". Get a simple double reed and learn to do a simple quack and to do a 3-4 cadence quack.

D) Use a IC or mod choke. 2, 3, or 4s steelshot.

E) If there are no ducks around, take a leak, pour up a cup aof coffee, of adjust the dekes, those actions will bring in a suicide mallard from 3 counties over.

P.S. Before you shoot a duck, think about how youre going to retrieve the duck... (water depth) and if the "dead duck" starts swimming away, aim for the head.

Every time 😁

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies guys! Sorry I haven’t responded sooner, new job and boards have been keeping me busy.
Seems like some good advice here, might just need to jump In and get started somewhere. I moved from somewhere where I had a ton of farm ground to hunt to the middle of high desert where I don’t know any ranchers so I might have to build a few friendships as well.
Side note, I’m always looking to add to the gun collection but moving recently I don’t have a lot to spend. Any recommendation for a entry level duck gun?

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
Duck guns.......
Here's the thing, you aim a rifle and you point a shotgun. if a gun doesn't fit you well you wont point it well. Generally a Remington 870 fits "most people" well, I don't like them because the manual of arms is opposite of what I grew up with using. I've had Berettas and Brownings semi autos, the Beretta was a fantastic shotgun but the LOP was too long and got worse as I got more muscle in my shoulders. Aslo it's important to remember that I shot gun that fits you well in July with a t shirt on fits different in December wearing a jacket and waders. A cheap Winchester 1300 or SXP with its shorter LOP fits me like a gloves. It's kinda like asking which boot is best....depends on the foot! I would suggest taking a deep dive researching shotgun fit, a $100 skeet class at the local range will tell you a lot!

For what it's worth, I wrote that assuming you haven't done much wing shooting. For all I know you might be a pro!

Step one don't. The meme above said it all but in all honesty it's a blast and if you like it as much as some of us you will spend lunch breaks rigging long lines and tuning calls. Or atleast I do.....

Rob5589

WKR
Entry level shotgun; I use a Mossberg 500 with a Carlsons choke. Kills ducks, goes bang every time, and I don't care if it gets beat up. My buddy shoots a Benelli Nova and it does the same things for a few bucks more. Of course the Rem 870 is always in the mix for entry level shotguns.

Brendan

WKR
So, been watching this one from the background. Anyone have any recommendations on calls and decoys? Duck and Geese (Canadas). Don't want a huge spread - something I could haul by backpack or in my canoe or kayak.

Have spent plenty of time hunting big game, and some trap and skeet, but am making a commitment to starting some waterfowl this year. Probably a lot better Duck and Goose hunting near me than deer.

Lamont22

FNG
So, been watching this one from the background. Anyone have any recommendations on calls and decoys? Duck and Geese (Canadas). Don't want a huge spread - something I could haul by backpack or in my canoe or kayak.

Have spent plenty of time hunting big game, and some trap and skeet, but am making a commitment to starting some waterfowl this year. Probably a lot better Duck and Goose hunting near me than deer.

This is a pretty forgiving call and good to learn on:https://www.cabelas.com/product/ZINK-CALLS-INC-POLY-ATM-DUCK-CALL/1980540.uts

There are a lot of great looking decoys out there, but I question if all of the realism, flocked heads, etc is more for the ducks we are hunting or the hunters doing the buying!

I have an old Avery backpack style decoy bag that fits a dozen mallards on Rig em Right lines, my blind bag and Lucky Duck spinner and puffy jacket inside a dry bag. I like to put everything inside the decoy bag and cinch the top down when I am using my kayak or canoe to paddle back to a hole. I strap the decoy bag down to the back of the kayak and it is a good way to keep everything contained and together if I need to pull over a beaver dam or other obstacles.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Personally, I think set up is more important than the dekes themselves. Most of the time the weather is rainy, overcast, dark, etc. I highly doubt a duck can tell the difference between a flocked head or not. Most of my dekes are old and faded, birds still come in.