How to go about antelope hunting for the first time?

Jamis

FNG
Me and a buddy have been talking about going out west for a long time. We're thinking about trying Wyoming or South Dakota for a diy antelope hunt. We have no preference whether it be with a bow, rifle, muzzleloader. I would prefer to kill a buck, but would be fine with a doe if a buck tag is too hard to get. My question is how would you go about this for a first time hunt? Are there states that offer otc licenses? Do you have to build up points? Etc. We aren't going to be picky, just looking to have fun and make some memories.. Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
Go on the Wyoming game and fish page and look at draw odds. There are buck tags that can be drawn with zero to one point in a lot of the eastern units. You will want to have onX or some other mapping software due to a high amount of private lands.

Look for Walk in areas and avoid weekends and the opener.

Also apply for doe tags for sure. Look at those odds too. Find a unit or two that give a bunch and get a few tags.

Antelope hunting is a great first western trip. It’s really not that difficult due to typically high numbers of animals and mild terrain. It’s a hunt that you will enjoy and want to do again that’s for sure

zacattack

WKR
Me and a buddy have been talking about going out west for a long time. We're thinking about trying Wyoming or South Dakota for a diy antelope hunt. We have no preference whether it be with a bow, rifle, muzzleloader. I would prefer to kill a buck, but would be fine with a doe if a buck tag is too hard to get. My question is how would you go about this for a first time hunt? Are there states that offer otc licenses? Do you have to build up points? Etc. We aren't going to be picky, just looking to have fun and make some memories.. Thanks for any help

Yeah Wyoming’s website is great. They give draw odds for does and bucks. You also will want to look at public access in that unit. I did a doe hunt last year and had a blast chasing them. Like the above poster said timing is everything. I went late October and saw no one Monday to Thursday. It got crowded on Friday.

OP
J

Jamis

FNG
I just did an archery antelope hunt in SD for my first antelope hunt it’s basically OTC and it was a blast pm me if you want details and I can help you out
I'm a new member on here. So I'm unable to pm just yet but I will when I can.

Thanks for the advice fellows. We're just wanting to find a way to get some tags. And put some miles on our boots going after some speed goats. Thanks!

Don’t mess around with the archery option in SD, do it right. Pick a unit in eastern Wyoming where you can get a buck and 2 doe tags, there are plenty of them and even with limited public there will be antelope there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the others. I’ve went to eastern Wyoming 2 of the past 3 years. We were in a one point unit, can draw with zero in the special draw. Do your research on line and pick a unit with access and watch the roads your on. Not all roads are legal to drive on and they will ticket you. That being said it’s a blast, you will have a blast and fill your tags. Our group of 4 easily filled both our buck and doe tags.

I agree with the others. I’ve went to eastern Wyoming 2 of the past 3 years. We were in a one point unit, can draw with zero in the special draw. Do your research on line and pick a unit with access and watch the roads your on. Not all roads are legal to drive on and they will ticket you. That being said it’s a blast, you will have a blast and fill your tags. Our group of 4 easily filled both our buck and doe tags.
I've been looking into doing the same as the OP, I think this has what made me the most nervous about the whole deal. Will an app like OnX show the roads that you can drive on also or is it only for the land itself showing public vs private? I guess I should try one of the free trials.

Laramie

WKR
Your hunt will be a lot more enjoyable if you save a couple of preference points imo. Those areas in NE Wyoming have leftover tags for a reason.

If you really want to hunt next year, buy a couple of doe tags in one of those easy to draw areas and by a PP for a better buck tag to be used down the road.

zacattack

WKR
I've been looking into doing the same as the OP, I think this has what made me the most nervous about the whole deal. Will an app like OnX show the roads that you can drive on also or is it only for the land itself showing public vs private? I guess I should try one of the free trials.
Yes they will show you land not roads. I also found if I really needed a road legal question answered then calling the local wildlife and fisheries department. The ones in Wyoming were very helpful in answering any questions about roads.

Last edited:

Biggie

FNG
I wouldn't rely on OnX for legal roads. I've found they have a lot of non public two tracks marked as a road. Especially out west. Check with the county roads department.

manitou1

WKR
Been going to WY for 24 yrs. Actually building a house there right now. Antelope in the Buffalo are of WY took a serious hit this year due to drought. We found lots of dead ones. Saw about 5%- 10% of normal. I quit hunting them they were so scarce. Talked to two other hunting parties that threw in the towel and left early due to lack of pronghorns in the area. Actually visited with eleven experienced antelope hunters who didn't pull the trigger last season... myself in the same boat. My wife is living there (working) until I get retired and I get out the in a few weeks. Never dreamed I could spend eleven days hunting antelope in WY and eating tag soup. I get 3-4 every year. Had a few opportunities at does, but felt so bad I couldn't shoot one for lack of animals.
I say this just to help with your immediate future planning.

I wouldn't rely on OnX for legal roads. I've found they have a lot of non public two tracks marked as a road. Especially out west. Check with the county roads department.

What Biggie posts is correct. You CAN NOT tell what roads are public roads by looking at OnX.

Do as some have suggested, use the County Road and Bridge maps to locate a possible road and then contact that R&B office to make sure the road is available for access when hunting. Many roads shown on a County R&B map are not open for public access.

ClearCreek

PRC_GUY

WKR
Go on the Wyoming game and fish page and look at draw odds. There are buck tags that can be drawn with zero to one point in a lot of the eastern units. You will want to have onX or some other mapping software due to a high amount of private lands.

Look for Walk in areas and avoid weekends and the opener.

Also apply for doe tags for sure. Look at those odds too. Find a unit or two that give a bunch and get a few tags.

Antelope hunting is a great first western trip. It’s really not that difficult due to typically high numbers of animals and mild terrain. It’s a hunt that you will enjoy and want to do again that’s fo

bdg848

WKR
Go to the county website and print off a map of their county maintained roads to compare to your GPS and you are good to go.

Since you don’t have a preference, go rifle. The song goes like this, thank me later.

Find a unit that is a 0 point unit.

Find a unit with mostly private and small blocks of public access.

Arrive opening day, get on those small slivers of accessible land and shoot your bucks.

I did it with a 12 year old kid for 3 years, a girl at that. Don’t over think WY....... shooting an antelope there doesn’t get any easier.

bdg848

WKR
thank you, that will help for my 2021 trip there
We were driving down a road that looked good to go on the gps, looked good to go on county map, but it had a fence right up to the road and a cattle guard grate thing across the road and then a big no trespassing sign on each side of the road. It threw us for a loop. We called the non emergency number for the sheriff's office who confirmed that the road was definitely public and our county road map was up to date.