How to keep pot/mug handle cool

jm1607

WKR
So I used a Jetboil for a long time and never had this problem. If you use a pot with a heat coil on the bottom it seems to fan out the flames from the stove to the side so as soon as your water is boiling you can pick the pot up.

I'm trying to switch to a different pot. I have a Vargo 700 BOT and a Snow Peak mug I'm playing with. Each time I cook water in either one the flames lick up the sides and make the handle scalding hot. I can turn the flame down some but then it takes a long time to boil..

I tried putting some heavy duty heat shrink wrap on the handles (the stuff they use on battery cables) but after a couple boils it started to blister and burn.

The Olicamp has some nice rubber on the handles (which I was trying to copy with my shrink wrap) but I think it may stay cool because the handles are like 6" long and set way higher and away from the stove further.

Any ideas?

Napperm4

WKR
I don't worry about letting the handle cool. I use either my bandana or a thick sock as an oven mitt to handle the pot.

I tried adding a few things like shrink wrap and plasti dip to the handles but it would either melt off, still be hot or take forever to boil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an old frying pan without insulation on the handle so I put two pieces of phenolic on it. Works really well. You could call around to some local machine shops for a few small pieces. Its a surprisingly common material.

The ollicamp does fine, but the real issue is the flames going up the sides. It's horribly inefficient because you get the heat transfer to your handles.
Maybe wait a little longer, get a more efficient pot/stove combo, or carrying something to shield your hand from the heat.

Esse quam videri

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Ya, the Olicamp is fine. It's just too big for a solo stove for me.. Perfect for 2..

I'm thinking about just living with it and turning the flames down a little lower...

I'm thinking about getting some exhaust header wrap but it will probably turn out janky..

What's phenolic? Is it similar to asbestos?