how to lift weights???

slim23

I train harder every year for my hunts. coming from the flat land it is extra tough. I am really pushing hard for my moose hunt for september.I mainly jog and hike with a loaded pack. I have never been a weight lifter but done some last summer trying to be overall stronger. I have been using mainly machines focusing on my legs, rowing, and torso
My question is how do you properly lift weights?
how many reps?
how hard do you push?
do you go till failure? or should you do more manegable weigths a bunch of times?
is slower better?
how long between reps?

sreekers

Men's Health has some pretty good books out there with pictures on form, reps, purpose for lifting etc.

Dead eye

I switched over to the videos and i'm really enjoying them! I've done triathlons the leadville 100 mtn bike race and lots of different kinds of training and have seen the best results from these videos that are out there. They concentrate on total body fitness.....for example you may be doing dumbbell presses on a stability ball or push-ups on 4 med balls so your core and balance are also getting a great workout!

OP
slim23

slim23

Wich videos? I have really been looking at insanity and p90x. Others? One over the other? Doing it at home could help

Dead eye

Wich videos? I have really been looking at insanity and p90x. Others? One over the other? Doing it at home could help

Started with p90x then went to insanity, onto chalean, now 6 weeks into P90X-2!
Insanity was great for cardio....little hard on knees.
p90x was great for card and strength.
Chalean was more weight training with great core and body workouts....seemed kind of slow after the other videos but I stuck it out and had some of my best physical results.
Then I went the next 9 months and just took my favorite days from all the different videos and mixed it up......worked great!
Now I'm halfway into P90X-2 and I can't believe how different it is from the first one. A completely different way of training....it's awesome! He claims anyone can go to the gym and lift dumbbells but this is the new way to train the entire body! And I'm now a believer.

trevore

I'd take a hard look at Starting Strength. Barbell training. Focuses on squats, press, dead lifts, bench. You can work your cardio stuff in on days you lift.

www.startingstrength.com