how to lift weights???

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I train harder every year for my hunts. coming from the flat land it is extra tough. I am really pushing hard for my moose hunt for september.I mainly jog and hike with a loaded pack. I have never been a weight lifter but done some last summer trying to be overall stronger. I have been using mainly machines focusing on my legs, rowing, and torso
My question is how do you properly lift weights?
how many reps?
how hard do you push?
do you go till failure? or should you do more manegable weigths a bunch of times?
is slower better?
how long between reps?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Men's Health has some pretty good books out there with pictures on form, reps, purpose for lifting etc.

Dead eye

FNG
I switched over to the videos and i'm really enjoying them! I've done triathlons the leadville 100 mtn bike race and lots of different kinds of training and have seen the best results from these videos that are out there. They concentrate on total body fitness.....for example you may be doing dumbbell presses on a stability ball or push-ups on 4 med balls so your core and balance are also getting a great workout!

OP
slim23

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
Wich videos? I have really been looking at insanity and p90x. Others? One over the other? Doing it at home could help

Dead eye

FNG
Wich videos? I have really been looking at insanity and p90x. Others? One over the other? Doing it at home could help

Started with p90x then went to insanity, onto chalean, now 6 weeks into P90X-2!
Insanity was great for cardio....little hard on knees.
p90x was great for card and strength.
Chalean was more weight training with great core and body workouts....seemed kind of slow after the other videos but I stuck it out and had some of my best physical results.
Then I went the next 9 months and just took my favorite days from all the different videos and mixed it up......worked great!
Now I'm halfway into P90X-2 and I can't believe how different it is from the first one. A completely different way of training....it's awesome! He claims anyone can go to the gym and lift dumbbells but this is the new way to train the entire body! And I'm now a believer.

Mkinz

FNG
As others have alluded to, it depends what you're interested and doing and why? Recommendations for health will be much different than if you're preparing for something specific.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
The book Starting Strength is applicable for your first ~2 years of lifting until you plateau. For form, I learned from watching Elliot Hulse videos back in the day.

People will tell you you have to rest muscle groups 2+ days for recovery, but that’s BS unless you’re already fairly strong and lifting very heavy. I used to do full body workouts 5x per week. Lumberjacks swing axes every day - no rest needed.

I’d aim for 8 - 10 reps (6 - 8 for deadlift). If you can do 12, increase weight.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Squat
Bench press / incline press
Overhead press
Pull-ups / chin ups
Bent rows / machine rows

And one day a week, throw in deadlift / sumo DL.

That routine will work well for the first couple of years. Don’t get fancy or bother with small muscle group lifts. It’s a waste of time until you plateau.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5, Wendler 5/3/1 all are worth looking at

they all give you a very specific plan on weights and reps, when to increase, when to ease back, etc. no guess work involved

all put the major focus on deadlifts, squats, bench and overhead press- compound exercises that will help you regardless of your endeavor- hunting or otherwise

this would not be a substitute for hiking/rucking, but in addition to

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
One topic that hasn’t been mentioned is “variation”. Our bodies are incredible and will build resistance to near anything and we should fight to avoid this because it’s typically the plateau that is hit long before the genetic limit. Also, if you’re pushing yourself to exhaustion at every training day then I believe rest is very important but 48hrs is typically sufficient for me for most muscle groups. I would certainly focus on building core and lower body strength for a few weeks then follow up with capitalizing on the added strength with pushing the endurance then back around, something like 6-8wks each. I am am iron guy personally but my wife loves them dang beach body video deals that were mentioned, not for me at all. You could also look into a push/pull/legs split which typically incorporate more combination exercises and keep the reps around 12ish with 45sec rests, weight training for 3 days should allow ample time for the hiking as time as well.You’ll need the calories and water so don’t overlook good nutrition.

Never been on a moose hunt I’m sure it has the same basic challenges with the right addition of some mighty intense insects, they were sure rough when I worked Alaska.

FYI…EXO MTN gear guys have same trading prep stuff on their website that is from a cross fit guy that I thought was interesting.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
Nine year old thread..justdoit
Dang! I didn’t even look at how old it was. Sitting here bored getting ready for a long drive back home and was giving the ol Rokslide some attention lol.

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider
I just want to know how slim’s workouts have gone for the past 9 years. What did you end up deciding to do since 2012?