How to make your rifle dual purpose?

That's super interesting! Tell me more about that stuff. Do you bake it on? Spray it on? Is it more for restorations, or protection of the finish you already have?
My gunsmith put it on. It is a baked finish. I don't know about the restoration part. I do know that he told me he likes it a lot and it's a lot easier to apply than Cerakote.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
not mine :) I am going to have my Featherweight Cerakoted though- just not sure what color(s)
Not sure where you're located, but I saw Mike at Hells Canyon Armory d some really good prices for this on his website
I'm having the rifle sent to Bansner for a stock, bed and will have him do the Cerakote. He has a M70 mold, but is coming out with a Featherweight specific mold (smaller contour barrel) soon and am waiting on that :)
Sweet, they do outstanding work! Ask them to install one of our gunsmith adapters in the stock for a flush fit if you ever want to use one of our bipods/tripods. I like it much better than the universal adapter, and it would just give you more options in the future while it's already in his shop.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My gunsmith put it on. It is a baked finish. I don't know about the restoration part. I do know that he told me he likes it a lot and it's a lot easier to apply than Cerakote.
That's super interesting. Please let us know how your experience goes with it, because it would be nice to have another alternative to something like cerakote

brushape

WKR
I just pick the rifle I like and shoot it at what’s in front of me I’ve killed squirrels with .17 air rifles to 300 win mag and bears with bows and rifles they all died

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's super interesting. Please let us know how your experience goes with it, because it would be nice to have another alternative to something like cerakote
I can only go by my experience so far. It still looks really nice and it hasn't rusted or anything. Seems like it's holding up well to the snow and rain. I'm happy with it.

John Norrell Arms Moly Resin

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can only go by my experience so far. It still looks really nice and it hasn't rusted or anything. Seems like it's holding up well to the snow and rain. I'm happy with it.

John Norrell Arms Moly Resin
Can you tell me what the scratch resistance is like? Sorry if I come off like a noob, I've just never had any first hand experience with coatings

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just pick the rifle I like and shoot it at what’s in front of me I’ve killed squirrels with .17 air rifles to 300 win mag and bears with bows and rifles they all died

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your brain is more sensible than mine hahaha. I'm always thinking how I could improve something a little bit, when it would probably make more sense just to use what I have. But tinkering with stuff is so much fun!

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I've wondered if a black Cerakote would still look good with a wood stock, and make it so we don't have to worry about scratching the bluing?
Both of these rifles are Cerakoted. The one in front is is a high gloss "blued" look on a SS barrel. The back is a matte black similar to the SPS finish. I hunt fox and Coyote occasionally with that one so both the stock and rifle are matte.
DSCN3465.jpg

wyosam

WKR
Older blueing is pretty durable. I find it “wears” off more than scratches, And I’ve got a few that have had the tar beat out of them for decades. I think the worn look is still classy. Modern blueing I believe is akin to water colors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in western WA and its fairly wet during modern rifle season for deer and elk. I use blued/walnut rifles and they still look great. I just have to put some work into it.

When I first buy it, I add pillars and bed the action. I prefer to float the barrel and use bedding material to replace pressure points if needed. I then make sure to seal the stock. Biggest culprits are under the recoil pad. Once it’s back together, I polish the rifle with carnuba wax.

This rifle has BTDT and it still looks great. I do, however, have a stainless version of the same gun just in case.
7E7929B7-0319-4251-9C00-C4841F96531F.jpeg

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Both of these rifles are Cerakoted. The one in front is is a high gloss "blued" look on a SS barrel. The back is a matte black similar to the SPS finish. I hunt fox and Coyote occasionally with that one so both the stock and rifle are matte.
DSCN3465.jpg
Thank you so much for sharing these two examples so we can see the difference! Which one do you like the look of better with your wood stock?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Older blueing is pretty durable. I find it “wears” off more than scratches, And I’ve got a few that have had the tar beat out of them for decades. I think the worn look is still classy. Modern blueing I believe is akin to water colors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's good to know. I've got two pretty new rifles with blued barrels, and have been surprised at how easily they show scratches. I wonder if older bluing was done with a different style?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just have lots of stuff that mixes and matches. Its a solid option. None of my stuff is pretty though.
I live in western WA and its fairly wet during modern rifle season for deer and elk. I use blued/walnut rifles and they still look great. I just have to put some work into it.

When I first buy it, I add pillars and bed the action. I prefer to float the barrel and use bedding material to replace pressure points if needed. I then make sure to seal the stock. Biggest culprits are under the recoil pad. Once it’s back together, I polish the rifle with carnuba wax.

This rifle has BTDT and it still looks great. I do, however, have a stainless version of the same gun just in case.
View attachment 280203
It's fun to see another west sider! Tell me more about that wax? Does it help keep your stock from soaking up water? Or does it protect against scratches?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got a few wood stocks rifles I used back in the day. Every ding ,scratch and rub is a good memory. I say take that wood stock and get to it. Make a few memories.
I feel that way with my rifles that have "regular" quality stocks. With my fancy Cooper though I get a bit vein and like to keep it looking nice

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you so much for sharing these two examples so we can see the difference! Which one do you like the look of better with your wood stock?
for straight looks I like the hi gloss look with the bowling pin finish on the bull barrel 220 swift. It's not a replacement for a good rust blue job, but when you are working with a SS barrel it's about the only option.
On the little 17 FB I removed all the old finish off the factory stock, removed the white line spacers, recut the checkering and refinished it in true oil. Not a job I'd do again, but I do like the way it came out.
DSCN3467.jpg