How to maximize quality & comfort?

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
I've been preparing and training for an OTC archery hunt for months. Yesterday I hit some pretty steep terrain with 100lb ruck for 3.5 miles, then spent the rest of day seeding whitetail food plots for the landowner, checking trail cameras, and scouting new part of the property I hadn't explored yet. Long story short, it was a long day, lot's of walking, and I was pretty tried at the end of the day. I figured my days activity level was somewhat comparable to a day on my hunt and wanted to test out my sleep system to start working out any kinks now, and see how I felt in the morning.

Current sleep system:

Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Xtherm Max Large OR Klymit Static V Luxe SL
Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering VersaLite 10°
Sleep Liner: Western Mountaineering - Silk
Pillow: Thermarest Compressible Travel Pillow
Shelter: Tarptent Double Rainbow - Vargo Ti Tent Stakes

I'm a side sleeper. I tested out both the XTherm and Static V Luxe SL on the hard ground in my basement. Decided on the XTherm in the end. Slept in my sleep liner only, on top of my bag as I'm hot sleeper and that WM bag was sweatin' me out. Long story short, I woke up pretty sore and stiff.

I realize I'll never get as comfortable as my bed setup in my house. I also realize there's an inherent element of suck that goes along with chasing elk in the backcountry. But, if I could be doing something now to prepare for or make gear adjustments to increase my sleep quality, I'm all for that. We plan to set up a spike camp 3-5 miles in and will spend 8 nights in our sleep systems.

Question: What can I do to maximize my sleep quality and comfort so I'll be more well rested and ready to get after it day after day? Any tips or tricks for side sleepers? What part of your sleep system was game changer?

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I am also a side sleeper and found that inflating my pad to 85-90% made it a lot more comfortable. Fully inflated is hard as a rock and makes me sore when I wake up. I also try to make sure I am well hydrated and full of food when I go to bed.

I often sleep poorly the first night and then am tired enough to sleep well the rest of the trip. I also take advantage of mid-day naps to catch up on zzz's. Good luck and have fun!

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Fellow side sleeper. I got the Sea to Summit Ether Light XT and found it to be much more comfortable for sleeping on my side. Also upgraded my pillow to a Klymit Luxe pillow and WOW that made a difference. The above comment about not inflating to 100% is also accurate.

That said...still woke up sore. 🤣 Can't escape it, although it wore off pretty quick once I got up and moving.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
I am also a side sleeper and found that inflating my pad to 85-90% made it a lot more comfortable. Fully inflated is hard as a rock and makes me sore when I wake up. I also try to make sure I am well hydrated and full of food when I go to bed.

I often sleep poorly the first night and then am tired enough to sleep well the rest of the trip. I also take advantage of mid-day naps to catch up on zzz's. Good luck and have fun!

I did try the 85-90% inflation and it did help a lot. Thanks for the tips on hydration and being full. Hopefully day 2-8 I can also be sleeping well.

Trade off between weight and comfort IMO. Here are a few thoughts:

- I second @Cali hunter on the ether lite. 4.5” thick for the win. Haven’t used any other pad since I bought it.
- build a decent pillow. I use an inflatable inside a stuff sack along with clothes.
- ear plugs. Dark masks. Depending on the environment they may help. Surprisingly, the woods at night can have more and more unfamiliar sounds than the average bedroom and you may hav e higher ambient light depending on conditions.

mlgc20

WKR
Also a side sleeper. The Xtherm is my go to when R value is the priority. And I use my Uberlite when weight is the priority. But, I go with my Big Agnes Q-Core SLX when I really want comfort. It is fantastic. The "quilted" baffling (similar to the Ether Lite) is much more comfortable than the horizontal baffles on the Thermarest pads.

Also, I would go with a different pillow setup. Desk Jockey has a great suggestion above. I did that for years with a lot of success. I now just use an Exped pillow with tabs on the sides. I tie shock cord to the sides and fix the pillow to my sleeping pad. Makes a world of difference in overall sleep comfort when the pillow stays where it's supposed to.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think the carrying the 100lb pack for 3.5 miles probably contributed more to your stiffness and soreness than your sleeping pad. It takes a while to get used to carrying that kind of weight off trail. I'd wake up sore from that on a TempurPedic mattress

*zap*

WKR
^echo this comment^

Plus how did you sleep? You never said if you slept thru the night in a good sound sleep....or woke up a bunch of times.

A little zanax will help you sleep very well if your waking up during the night.

Muscle soreness from the activity?
Or from the sleep system.
In your at home bed you believe you would have been fine?
Ibuprofen ot Tylenol pm.

I also hold at least 20oz of water back and drink BCAA before bed.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
I think the carrying the 100lb pack for 3.5 miles probably contributed more to your stiffness and soreness than your sleeping pad. It takes a while to get used to carrying that kind of weight off trail. I'd wake up sore from that on a TempurPedic mattress
I've been training with 95-100 lbs 2-3 times per week for months. 5-6 miles if on flatter ground. 3-4 miles if I'm working some steeper inclines and hills. There's some soreness in my calves and legs that I know well from keeping this workout up. I'm more concerned with the stiffness in my back, between my shoulder blades, the hip I slept on. I just need to dial in my system a bit. I typically wake up pain free except for some mild muscle soreness in my legs after my hikes.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
Muscle soreness from the activity?
Or from the sleep system.
In your at home bed you believe you would have been fine?
Ibuprofen ot Tylenol pm.

I also hold at least 20oz of water back and drink BCAA before bed.

My calves and legs have some normal soreness from my workout. The stuff in my back, between my shoulder blades, and hip are from not being able to sleep comfortably on my side. My wife did mention, which I didn't know at the time of this post, that she came in an checked on my at 5 am and apparently I was sleeping on my stomach which always messes up my back. I used to be a stomach sleeper until I started having constant back issues. Once I moved to slide sleeping with a leg pillow, never had any issues since. I just need to find a system that I can sleep comfortably on my side. In my home bed, I would of work up with only regular muscle soreness in my legs. I actually did take BCAA's before bed and had at least 16 oz of water. I may try some Tylenol PM when sleeping on the ground.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
^echo this comment^

Plus how did you sleep? You never said if you slept thru the night in a good sound sleep....or woke up a bunch of times.

A little zanax will help you sleep very well if your waking up during the night.

I slept ok. I mentioned above, my wife did tell me she saw me sleeping on my stomach at 5 am which was probably the culprit of most of what I'm feeling. I just need a system comfortable enough to sleep on my side. I woke up a few times. I just remember thinking "8 nights of this is going to be rough". I mean, I'm not going to quit due to crappy sleep and long days but if I can figure out a better sleeping arrangement before I go, I'm all for it.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
Trade off between weight and comfort IMO. Here are a few thoughts:

- I second @Cali hunter on the ether lite. 4.5” thick for the win. Haven’t used any other pad since I bought it.
- build a decent pillow. I use an inflatable inside a stuff sack along with clothes.
- ear plugs. Dark masks. Depending on the environment they may help. Surprisingly, the woods at night can have more and more unfamiliar sounds than the average bedroom and you may hav e higher ambient light depending on conditions.

I ordered a Big Agnes Rapide SL and Sea to Summit Ether Lite XT. I'll try both a pick a winner. I like the pillow build idea. Thanks for the comment.

Bearsears

WKR
I'm a side sleeper also. I agree on the Big Agnes Q core SLX. I switched to it this spring for turkey season and it made a huge difference from most of my other pads. I am pretty much comfortable on anything with vertical baffles or quilt construction. Anything with horizontal baffles contours to my body and the ground too much and I end up really sore. The vertical pads seem to resist this much better. My favorite late season pad is an exped downmat. Crazy warm and really comfortable.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a side sleeper also. I agree on the Big Agnes Q core SLX. I switched to it this spring for turkey season and it made a huge difference from most of my other pads. I am pretty much comfortable on anything with vertical baffles or quilt construction. Anything with horizontal baffles contours to my body and the ground too much and I end up really sore. The vertical pads seem to resist this much better. My favorite late season pad is an exped downmat. Crazy warm and really comfortable.

I couldn't find the Big Agnes Q core SLX is a wide long. Did they discontinue it?

*zap*

WKR
I side sleep and do fine on a klymit static v but I sleep on it all the time. Maybe you need to sleep on the pad quite a bit to get used to it...if your not used to sleeping on a pad. I think the same thing applies to sleeping in a bag.

Bearsears

WKR
It looks like the Q Core SLX has become the Rapid SL. Same construction but a touch warmer and a few ounces heavier.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
I side sleep and do fine on a klymit static v but I sleep on it all the time. Maybe you need to sleep on the pad quite a bit to get used to it...if your not used to sleeping on a pad. I think the same thing applies to sleeping in a bag.
^^This can't hurt.