How to maximize quality & comfort?

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like the Q Core SLX has become the Rapid SL. Same construction but a touch warmer and a few ounces heavier.

I wasn't too sure but I got that impression. Rapid SL on the way. I'll get this figured out. Thanks for the help.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
Update: The Big Agnes Rapid SL 25 x 78 just arrived. I blew it up with the provided inflation sack. I tried it out, rotating between it and the Thermarest XTherm Max Large and man what a difference. So much more support and comfort with the Big Agnes Rapid SL. I'm pretty sure I could sleep through the night no problem on this. I actually prefer it fully inflated which is weird, I though I would like it deflated to 85-90%, but felt like support suffered when I tried this. Things might change when I try it overnight. With the XTherm, I could feel my hip on the hard floor. For lighter guys this might not be an issue. For a 6' 225 lbs side sleeper, I could feel it.

Still waiting on the Sea to Summit Ether Light XT to arrive. Should be here Thursday. We'll see if it can get any better.

I think I might be able to find a better pillow as well. I'll be testing some other brands. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
What about sleeping in a hammock if temps aren't too low?
I haven't tried a hammock as a side sleeper though I have heard of guys doing it. I really like my tent and have always been a tent guy. Might give a hammock a try some time.

You’re on the right track.

My sleep system is one place I don’t skimp. I’ll gladly carry the extra weight to ensure a good nights sleep.

Too many guys get caught up in trying to go as light as possible thinking they’ll get used to it or be so tired it won’t matter. I know - I used to be one of them. Nowadays I don’t go anywhere without a wide 4” pad and a big enough pillow. It does weigh more, but I sleep better.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A good down bag which you already have and some nice light layers that slip around in the bag as you change sleep positions in the night. I can pass the hell out in my western mountaineering bag and often I sleep as well as I do at home.

Maverick1

WKR
You won’t have a hard time falling asleep after a good hard day of chasing elk in the mountains. It may not be the best sleep though!

Good suggestions above. One way to “try” a quilt without actually buying a quilt is to just sleep with your sleeping bag unzipped. I have a 15 degree bag that I use unzipped. Works pretty well in 45-50 degree weather. Side sleeper.

OP
BenchToField

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
Update: Sea to Summit Ether Light XT arrived.

Initial impression: Though the inflation sack is super innovative acting as both a stuff sack and and inflation sack with built in handle. It just doesn't work as well as the Big Agnes inflation sack which is super simple. This is one area where the K.I.S.S method really stands out. Big Agnes is much easier to inflate and you don't have to blow hot air into the sack.

The material on the Ether Light seems thinner and lighter. Seems a bit louder than the Rapide SL. Support is good. Definitely better than the Xtherm for side sleeping (on hard ground at least). Overall comfort without spending the night on it goes to the Rapide SL. Things could change after a nights sleep. One of these two will definitely make the cut. Both comfortable with the edge going to the Big Agnes.

I ordered a zenbivy light bed 10°. Adding weight but the quilt design plus the sheet design for the pad looks very versatile and comfortable. We shall see...

shepaloop

FNG
What about sleeping in a hammock if temps aren't too low?
i have recently switched over to a hammock set up(warbonnet XLC) and i was skeptical when it came to nasty weather. The last weekend of my rifle season it got into the 20s with wind and snow. Let me just say i was blown away at how comfortable i was. the under quilt is the key to the whole set up a believe. I stayed dry and wind never touched me. the set up is a pound and a half heavier than my normal set up but ill gladly carry that for a decent nights sleep.