How to not lose carter release

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody run like some sort of cord through the small holes on the carter releases? I’m using the too simple. Just wondering if anybody has thought of any good ideas to use them in hunting situations and keeping track of it easier.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Love my Carter releases but I practice with the Too Simple and Evolution in the summer and switch the RX-1 that has a wrist buckle in season. I have wondered the same as you though....If I wanted to carry the hand held releases in season, how would I keep it ready for the shot and not lose it?

Trial153

WKR
I hate keeping track of my handhelds. I switch over to a quickie too or Rhino xt for hunting season.

If anyone finds a new tru ball blade in a certain wy elk unit, watch wear your stepping...it feel out of my pocket when I was taking a dump. That was an expensive shit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Gumbo

WKR
Does anybody run like some sort of cord through the small holes on the carter releases? I’m using the too simple. Just wondering if anybody has thought of any good ideas to use them in hunting situations and keeping track of it easier.

When I shot that release I used to put a little loop of D braid through the hole on the trigger lock button, but it seemed like it stretched the spring a little. I then wrapped and tied a length of very thin cord around the middle finger "groove" to make a loop. I then attached the loop to a carabiner on my bino harness. Then I switched to the Nock2It to get a little longer head length and it has a hole. But, the Too Simple has large solid internal areas with no mechanisms that you could just drill a hole through, which is what I'd do.

rm06

WKR
There's a recent bow build series that gohunt put out on youtube. The guys has a standard wrist strap that he uses with his handheld release, secured with paracord, I believe

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
I had some Cord on my wise choice and it worked great until I stuck in on the side of my Bino harness and it fell out during a hike. I think using maybe a range finder pouch or custom holder would work out better.

Certainly one of the drawbacks to using a handheld but to me the risk is worth it. I hunt all big game with a silverback and keep a religious handle on it. I have it stashed a certain way in the side pouch of my AGC chest harness. I've never had an issue losing it because it is zippered in. If im on a tight stalk, I will put it in the side cargo pocket of my apexs. As much as I dont miss punching the trigger of a wrist strap (was an issue for me) I do miss having the convenience of hunting with it on your wrist.

TravisIN

WKR
You can buy just wrist straps from scott or tru ball and just attach it to that. It’s pretty clunky when it’s just dangling so I just tuck it in between the strap and my wrist to hold it secure and bang around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
Put it in your pocket and leave it there until you need to draw your bow. Never have had an issue with mine hunting or shooting 3D. I did buy a spare to keep in my pack but haven't needed it yet, I really don't see any reason to keep it on the string unless your sitting a tree stand with very small windows. I run and gun elk hunt and spot and stalk deer, stays put until I know I'm getting ready to shoot. Takes about 2 seconds to pull it out of my pocket and clip it to the loop to shoot.

I actually deflected off of a branch last year at my bull at about 15 yards and was able to nock another arrow, draw and kill him at 25 a few seconds later with no issues. Shooting a Simple 1.

FlyGuy

WKR
Agree with above. There are too many advantages to not having a wrist strap. You just have to not lose it, but that ain’t really all that hard. I mean, you don’t strap anything else to your body just to keep from losing it.

I keep mine in my right front pant pocket, which is a natural place to reach for without looking. It’s the only thing in that pocket, so it never falls out digging for car keys etc, and I can pat it and feel it’s there all day. The other thing I do to mitigate the risk of losing is I keep a back-up in my pack. It’s a fairly cheap one off of amazon, but the shape is similar to my Stan.

I moved away from a wrist strap very intentionally. It never failed that at the worst possible time the release would swing free and clang into something. Also, if you attach it to your wrist, then once you clip into your d-loop, you are attached to the bow with your draw hand. If you need to re-range an animal, then you have to unclip to use that hand, and look back down to the d-loop to click back in. That might not seem like much, but that extra half second it could cost you a shot at a trophy. Without a wrist strap I can just let go of my (thumb) release to do whatever I need to do and then grab it again after without ever taking my eyes off of the target.

You can’t cheat the mountain

nphunter

WKR
After using my handheld I can't even imagine having to deal with a wrist strap again. Wearing gloves, taking it on and off to take off my jacket or shirt, taking it off to take a dump!! Having a sweaty wrist all the time sucks, I get one elk tag and one deer tag a year and a month to hunt, typically I call for buddies and we take turns on who gets the first shot. Not having the wrist strap on day in and day out is very nice after years of dealing with it.

Shraggs

WKR
I use truball blade. I ran a thin leather shoestring thru one if the holes and fashioned something I can put my wrist thru. Western elk hunting it stays in my pack side pocket until needed. Should I need to move/stalk I have the option to have it dangle on my wrist. For see tree stand hunting I get set up and attach the release to the d loop and leave it on the bow while it’s haging.

Stalker69

WKR
One of the things I like about a thumb release is not having it strapped to my wrist. I can clip it on when I am getting within range , and range, or sneak in closer, move easier with both hands. Then just reach for the release and draw without looking. In stead of clipping on and off all the time. I carry mine in a fanny pack with my range finder. Love it that way.

nanuke22

FNG
I just use a small piece of para cord and make something simple like this, I only use this when spot and stalking, when in tree I just clip it on D loop, I always have two releases on me.

I have drilled and installed para cord for a wrist sling. But I find, if I practice enough, I always remove the string, and put the release in my pouch. It becomes second nature and habit. So I have just put a small pouch on my pack belt, because that is what will become natural for me. It is always in my pouch anyway, unless I am shooting. It's the repetition for me that prevents me from losing it.