How to NOT piss off others on public land

Hi all,
New to hunting, and looking for tips on how to not piss off other hunters on public land.

I plan to give rifle hunting a shot this fall - specifically the High Buck hunt here in WA. I'm an experienced backpacker and am looking at spots I can hike in 8-12 miles, but I know I'm still likely to run into a lot of other hunters. I'm completely new to the hunting game, and one of biggest concerns is being respectful of others while on public land. Any suggestions on best practices? I'm specifically thinking along the lines of:
- If I had a planned glassing spot and see others on a nearby ridge - how close is too close? Keep hiking and find a new spot clear of blaze orange regardless of how far away they may be?
- Where not to set up camp (folks may planned to hunt that area)?
- Any other tips that can save me from an awkward confrontation that could ruin my first time out.

Thanks!

sndmn11

WKR
I wouldn't give a second thought about glassing from the same ridge as someone else. If you are close enough to think you are intruding, you are close enough to chat with them. You might be hunting different species, they might be scouting, who knows. If it's more than a 2 minute walk, you arent intruding.

Pretty basic when it comes to camp site selection, certainly dont go to the bottom of a basin and set up camp. The high hunt can be loaded with people or not, depending on where you go, And what wildfires pop up and push people around. 8-12 miles gets you away from most of the people, although Washingtons trail systems carry a lot of hikers that time of year. A lot of people that do the HH every year, have their plans and spots, communicate with everyone you see and have fun. Find water early and plan for all the weather. Ive seen 75° during the day and 18" of snow that same night... Good luck, Maybe ill see ya up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to think the golden rule applies -- treat others as you want to be treated. Yep sometimes the other guy will still think your crowding "his" spot and likely plenty more times the other guy will go out of his way to screw up your hunt. Firm believer that KARMA always comes back around.

I've been the guy that's screwed up someone else's opportunity but never on purpose. You don't control all the variables so do the best you can with what you do control.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Good question. When I figure it out, I'll fill you in.

Biggest thing is to not be a complete dufus idiot and be aware of what's going on around you. And by all means, never pretend you own the drainage, ridge, or mountain.

If you are actually 8-12 miles from any trailhead or road you're not going to see a lot of people. Pack out sounds terrible.

If I see someone glassing the same area I'm at I move on. I prefer solitude. If I was there first I'll stay and see how things go. If they were there first I'm moving on.

DanimalW

WKR
It’s so situational. I’d rather stomp on and hunt an area with less animals if it means less people. But then when you do find game, some other hunters are likely to find you too. If there’s a vehicle parked there, or a fresh set of tracks in the snow, then don’t walk in there. The fact that you’re asking about it tells me you’re less comfortable hunting around other folks than most other public land hunters are. You’ll be fine.

If you're in a ground blind or obscured by vegetation, it's a good idea to hang up an orange item so that it can be clearly seen, especially if you're hunting the edge of a field.

I was hunting one evening & less than an hour before dark, prime time, a guy comes walking through the middle of the damn field heading back to his horses so he wouldn't have to walk back in the dark. This happened to me twice in 3 days, different places, different people. DON'T DO THIS!! Sit your ass down & wait till dark to walk out.

There's not really a great way to articulate it in writing, but if you just try to be courteous and not selfish that'll accomplish 99% of the goal here. Basically just don't be a prick and it'll be fine.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to think the golden rule applies -- treat others as you want to be treated. Yep sometimes the other guy will still think your crowding "his" spot and likely plenty more times the other guy will go out of his way to screw up your hunt. Firm believer that KARMA always comes back around.

I've been the guy that's screwed up someone else's opportunity but never on purpose. You don't control all the variables so do the best you can with what you do control.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. Be nice if everyone had this attitude.

Randy

Fatcamp

WKR
I wouldn't give a second thought about glassing from the same ridge as someone else. If you are close enough to think you are intruding, you are close enough to chat with them. You might be hunting different species, they might be scouting, who knows. If it's more than a 2 minute walk, you arent intruding.

Yup. Lots of country out there. We all wish we had it to ourselves, but thats just not the case.

SWOHTR

WKR
Bury your turds.

Not kidding actually. We could compile an entire book on backcountry ethics. Lots of what is said here is true.

def90

WKR
I have to say bury your turds and paper as well, lol, it's amazing how you can be somewhere that you think no one else has even been and then you see something white on the ground and closer examination ends in a turd.. Come on people..

Otherwise, give other hunters friendly wave and move on.