How to order antelope choices for Wyoming

Looking for a little advice from you guys on how to order my choices for antelope this year. Lets say I have the following hunt choices:

Hunt 1: 10% draw odds
Hunt 2: 12% draw odds
Hunt 3: 30% draw odds

Does the Wyoming Draw work similar to Arizona, where if i put Hunt 3 with the highest draw odds as my first choice, then the other two hunts are essentially worthless? How would you guys order these hunts given the draw odds? Any other stats I should be paying attention to in ordering my choices? thanks for the help

wapitibob

WKR
WY looks at your 1st choice only till they get thru everybody. Apply for the hunt you want and think you can draw, then look at the random odds and pick a 2nd choice that, should you not draw 1st, could draw as a 2nd.

Remember, 1st choices go thru the point side then drop to the random for the last 25% so you could draw in either if there are enough tags (no points in the random side).

For 2nd choice odds look at the random odds; quota minus remaining 1st choice apps = tags remaining for 2nd choices.

ps; you won't be hunting antelope with the choices in your post. WY has never seen a drop in applicants but has seen some pretty big tag cuts the last half dozen years. If you want to hunt I'd be a half point min above what was needed last year and hope for the best.

Last edited:
OP
S
WY looks at your 1st choice only till they get thru everybody. Apply for the hunt you want and think you can draw, then look at the random odds and pick a 2nd choice that, should you not draw 1st, could draw as a 2nd.

Remember, 1st choices go thru the point side then drop to the random for the last 25% so you could draw in either if there are enough tags (no points in the random side).

For 2nd choice odds look at the random odds; quota minus remaining 1st choice apps = tags remaining for 2nd choices.

ps; you won't be hunting antelope with the choices in your post. WY has never seen a drop in applicants but has seen some pretty big tag cuts the last half dozen years. If you want to hunt I'd be a half point min above what was needed last year and hope for the best.
Thanks for the advice super helpful. Thinking about rolling the dice on some "stretch" units that I listed in my post as the drive is not short and for me to find myself in a unit with access headaches doesn't sound worth it to me..... struck out in AZ this year and still recovering from that gutshot to the confidence so if I don't draw at least it won't be the first let down this year haha. There's always next year! But hey, somebody's got to get lucky! Torn between the "I just want to hunt antelope this year where can I go with 1 point" thought process and sticking it out for a cool hunt 3-4 years down the road or getting lucky this year or next year

Bryan B

FNG
In 3-4 years there’s a good chance those 1 point units will be 3-4 point units.

Rich M

WKR
If you don't shoot for the moon, will you ever be satisfied?

I need a low hunter pressure, more public access kind of hunt to be happy this time around. Gonna apply this year but then it looks like will be 2 or 3 years to go the next time. Figured out the unit and the hunt. Rolling with it. if we don't get pulled this year, will draw in 2 or 3 years.

If you don't shoot for the moon, will you ever be satisfied?

I need a low hunter pressure, more public access kind of hunt to be happy this time around. Gonna apply this year but then it looks like will be 2 or 3 years to go the next time. Figured out the unit and the hunt. Rolling with it. if we don't get pulled this year, will draw in 2 or 3 years.

Yea the low points units are not a fun hunt lots of guys and few spots to hunt can make it frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk