How to pick a Pack (Kifaru vs. Exo Mountain vs. Stone Glacier)

Yeah man, I gotch ya. The first post I thought you were saying that the frame height was adjustable. I think you are better off having too much height than not enough.

Agreed, but I have a 23.5" torso which Aron said is tied for the longest he's measured so no one makes one too long for me. I have a 28" for backpacking and a 26" for day trips. I've carried 100lbs on the 26" before they made the 28 and it wasn't too painful, but at about the 6 mile mark it started to get to me. This year I did the exact same trip with my 28" being even a little heavier and it was a piece of cake with absolutely no discomfort.

colersu22

WKR
You should call all the companies, I thought EXO and Kifaru had a 30 day return policy but if that is the case and you can swing it but all three and return the two that you like the least.

frankrb3

WKR
How to pick a pack (Kifaru vs. Exo Mountain Gear vs. Stone Glacier)?

Best answer I can give you with the three companies you have narrowed it down to.

View attachment 65551

All three are excellent. Go with your gut. You've got to have one already picked out in your mind that you are hoping all of us recommend. ;)

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
What btbowers said... The decision is going to have a lot to do with your style and how you plan on using it. If you're going to regularly be hauling 100lb+ loads or like modularity and changing loadouts depending on trip you should go with a Kifaru. If you're a weight weenie minimalist and your backpack being the lightest it can possibly be then you should go with Stone Glacier. Kifaru is coming out with a lighter frame soon, but I doubt they'll beat SG in the lightest category, but they will be closer. Exo is a great pack for those coming from the REI/Osprey backpack world but want some load hauling capability if they need it. Keep in mind that Exo packs are fixed at 25", so if you're too tall or too short it won't work for you. Your torso length should probably be 17-20" for a good fit.
Have you used an sg? My xcurve handles 100+ easy. I trained with 95 too many times to count and I can't find any signs of wear. and their straight frames are supposed to be able to haul more than the curved. I don't disagree that kifaru, with some taller frame heights should have more overall load hauling ability, but certainly not necessary to go with them to carry 100+

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru offers frames in 22", 24", 26" and 28", which they will help you order the correct one for your height.

Exo only offers their frame in one height: 25". This can be an issue if you're tall or very short.

SG also only offers one frame height. I think theirs is 26" though, but could be wrong as they don't specify on their site that I can find.
SG is fixed frame height, but there's infinite adjustment in the harness to frame connection to adjust for torso length to accommodate most anyone. I'm 6'2" average torso length for height, and there's still plenty of load lift from shoulder straps up to top of frame. If you were over 6 4 or super long torsoed I could see the need for the extra 2 inches kifaru offers, though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Have you used an sg? My xcurve handles 100+ easy. I trained with 95 too many times to count and I can't find any signs of wear. and their straight frames are supposed to be able to haul more than the curved. I don't disagree that kifaru, with some taller frame heights should have more overall load hauling ability, but certainly not necessary to go with them to carry 100+

I didn't mean to imply that SG doesn't carry weight well or it won't hold up to doing so. When we're talking about these high end packs we're splitting hairs. I have tried one on, but due to my build an SG just won't work for me (will discuss later). As such, it would be unfair to base an opinion off my experience but instead off of feedback I've heard from others that have used both extensively and the general trend that multiple people have said that while they both haul 100lbs very well, the Kifaru just hauls it slightly better. My point was that Kifaru weighs more, so there is a cost so you need to look at how you use your pack on whether it's worth it to you.

SG is fixed frame height, but there's infinite adjustment in the harness to frame connection to adjust for torso length to accommodate most anyone. I'm 6'2" average torso length for height, and there's still plenty of load lift from shoulder straps up to top of frame. If you were over 6 4 or super long torsoed I could see the need for the extra 2 inches kifaru offers, though.

There may be adjustment in the harness, but that doesn't fix an adjustment in the load lifter angle. A 25 or 26" frame will fit MOST people fairly well, so I don't blame them for just offering that. While Kifaru does offer a 28" frame, they don't put it on the website because so few people actually need it. The actual number of 28" frames they even had made was very small. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I know of several people (guys and gals) under 5'6" that would be too short for a 26" frame to fit very well and the load lifter angle would be way wrong.

Again, we are splitting hairs when it comes to packs of this quality and I made some generalizations in that earlier post about the types of folks that generally migrate to the different pack companies. My base weight for my large Kifaru backpacking pack is approx 8lbs, which I would bet that almost every SG customer would freak out at, but that's what you get with a 28" tactical frame and a 9000 cu in bag (+ pockets).

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What btbowers said... The decision is going to have a lot to do with your style and how you plan on using it. If you're going to regularly be hauling 100lb+ loads or like modularity and changing loadouts depending on trip you should go with a Kifaru. If you're a weight weenie minimalist and your backpack being the lightest it can possibly be then you should go with Stone Glacier. Kifaru is coming out with a lighter frame soon, but I doubt they'll beat SG in the lightest category, but they will be closer. Exo is a great pack for those coming from the REI/Osprey backpack world but want some load hauling capability if they need it. Keep in mind that Exo packs are fixed at 25", so if you're too tall or too short it won't work for you. Your torso length should probably be 17-20" for a good fit.
Have you personally tried the Exo and Stone Glacier?

The only way to pick one that fits your body properly is to try them ... I have used Kifaru, mystery ranch, kuiu, eblerlestock, badlands, sitka and SeekOutside. The SeekOutside is the one that fits me best and feels the most comfortable from being a day pack to packing heavy meat loads.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If you're a weight weenie minimalist and your backpack being the lightest it can possibly be then you should go with Stone Glacier.

With the release of the X-Curve frame I don’t think Stone Glacier can be totally summarized that way. That frame prioritizes comfort and sacrifices weight to get there. I think what you’re saying is totally fair in reference to the Krux frame, but I wouldn’t say SG is solely for weight conscious people anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

handwerk

WKR
I've had 2 kifaru packs, a couple genrations of exos and finally came to land on the SG Xframe/5900 as the best one for me. Like has been, said to a degree pack fit is a lot like boots so I'd try to get your hands on your top picks before you decide what's best for you body type/hunting needs. they are all good packs from great companies but to me it's pretty hard to beat the current line of SG packs.

bmart2622

WKR
SG may be lighter than Kifaru and MR but dont be fooled; they in no way sacrifice durability for weight savings. SG, IMO, is every bit as durable as a Kifaru or MR, they save weight by reducing webbing, zippers, pockets, excess material...

Yeah man, I gotch ya. The first post I thought you were saying that the frame height was adjustable. I think you are better off having too much height than not enough.

To me, that's the best part about using a 26" Kifaru frame. If I'm not need all the lift I can change from the loops on the top of the frame at 26" down to the 24" loops. Get an animal down and need the extra lift, bump right back up to the 26" loops, strap a quarter on and go.

If you're a weight weenie minimalist and your backpack being the lightest it can possibly be then you should go with Stone Glacier.
Yup, that’s me for sure! For years I packed waaay too much heavy shit into the mountains, either it was stuff that never got used, or stuff that was much heavier than other stuff that served the same purpose. Several years ago I made a decision to try and fix both of these issues, I figured 1. I’m not getting any younger, and 2. I would like to be doing this type of hunting well into my later years in life. I think a key element in accomplishing that is to not take any unnecessary risks, ie., packing too heavy of loads that increase the risk for injury. There was a time when I felt invincible and no load was too heavy, those days are long gone. Fortunately, I never sustained any serious injuries like blown out knees, ruptured discs, or any broken bones from falling. The first sheep hunt I ever did was a 10 day trip and, my pack weighed just over 70 lbs, not including water or my rifle. I could do that same trip today with a pack weighing just a little over half of that and I believe that I would be more comfortable in camp using the lighter weight gear. This way of thinking, IMO, starts with the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yup, that’s me for sure! For years I packed waaay too much heavy shit into the mountains, either it was stuff that never go used, or stuff that was much heavier than other stuff that served the same purpose. Several years ago I made a decision to try and fix both of these issues, I figured 1. I’m not getting any younger, and 2. I would like to be doing this type of hunting well into my later years in life. I think a key element in accomplishing that is to not take any unnecessary risks, ie., packing too heavy of loads that increase the risk for injury. There was a time when I felt invincible and no load was too heavy, those days are long gone. Fortunately, I never sustained any serious injuries like blown out knees, ruptured discs, or any broken bones from falling. The first sheep hunt I ever did was a 10 day trip and, my pack weighed just over 70 lbs, not including water or my rifle. I could do that same trip today with a pack weighing just a little over half of that and I believe that I would be more comfortable in camp using the lighter weight gear. This way of thinking, IMO, starts with the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
A couple of guys have mentioned that fit is a personal preference. I agree with this for the most part. I don't know enough about all the frames out there to make an intelligent comment on everything, but I do know from my experience that the Exo packs can only be adjusted for torso length (within limits) and waist size. The Kifaru Packs can be adjusted for torso length, waist size, and the curvature of your back (depending on the stay options you get). Not everyone needs the added adjustment to get the frame to fit comfortably, but I've heard Aron Snyder say he can get a Kifaru pack to fit just about anyone. I don't think that's the case for the other frame options out there. I think Exo, and probably Stone Glacier, will fit the grand majority of people very well. If you are in that category you are probably fine. If you fall outside the norm I feel a Kifaru will be your best bet for getting the correct fit. I'm sure there are others who can comment on this in greater detail but I thought it was worth bringing up.

Boreal

WKR
I could have written the OPs question, as I've narrowed my choices to those three companies as well. I've configured bags on the websites to check cost (minimal difference) and scoured local classifieds to try to get packs to try on. Not much success with the classifieds, I think lots are waiting for the mythical new Kifaru frame before offering up what they currently have. My local shop has the SG, and MR packs, and the Barney's frames. Seeing as I want to try a pack on before I buy it, I think my best bet is to head to Barney's and try them on. Someone posted that these questions are often seeking confirmation of a choice already made. Not for me in this case. [sarcasm filter] Thanks for nothing, guys! [sarcasm filter off]

id go down to one of the expos if you can and try them all for yourself. but try them with weight.

next best thing would be to try and find in the classifieds if you can or see if anyone on here lives by you, im sure theyd let you try one out.

you could also order all 3 and return the ones you didnt like but shipping em back can be pricey. (what i did)

theyre a little like boots what fits you might not fit someone else so its pretty hard to tell until you try them all out with weight.

IMG_20171220_161825806.jpg

id go down to one of the expos if you can and try them all for yourself. but try them with weight.

next best thing would be to try and find in the classifieds if you can or see if anyone on here lives by you, im sure theyd let you try one out.

you could also order all 3 and return the ones you didnt like but shipping em back can be pricey. (what i did)

theyre a little like boots what fits you might not fit someone else so its pretty hard to tell until you try them all out with weight.

View attachment 65627
So what did you end up with?