How to plan a kodiak hunt

Northpark

WKR
Hey all. So I’m hunting AK next fall one way or the other. Kodiak blacktails and caribou seem like a good option. DIY is preferred. So how do I plan this? Air or boat charter? Which one is better? Companies for transport? General info I should think about. I’ve done most of the western big game species 100% DIY. Never hired an outfitter before except my semi guided (trespass fee) hunt for Aoudad in Texas. Any help is highly appreciated.

Are you looking to hunt both deer and caribou on Kodiak? If so, you'll want to be on the very southwest part of the island, and you'll probably want to do that via float plane, either into the salt or a lower elevation lake. The time of year you're going will determine how high up you'll want to be put in at. All the transporters on the island are reputable and they're all about the same cost. Island Air has the largest fleet of planes and will probably be the most accommodating, just based on their size.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
Are you looking to hunt both deer and caribou on Kodiak? If so, you'll want to be on the very southwest part of the island, and you'll probably want to do that via float plane, either into the salt or a lower elevation lake. The time of year you're going will determine how high up you'll want to be put in at. All the transporters on the island are reputable and they're all about the same cost. Island Air has the largest fleet of planes and will probably be the most accommodating, just based on their size.

I guess a combo hunt would be ideal. when would be a good time of year to look at doing both? is there heavy cover all the way down to the ocean there? I guess what Im trying to say is I would prefer to hunt by glassing and spot and stalk and not wanting to have to hunt the timber. we could probably backpack high if need be but I fell like I would want the experience of hunting near the ocean. I'm looking for the adventure and experience as well as shooting something.

There's no "heavy cover" whatsoever, in regards to timber, but there can be a lot of tag alder and heavy brush in spots. It's probably a matter of opinion as to when would be the best time frame, I think early Sept. would be the best for both species. Aug. may be better for caribou but the deer will be high up. The deer will be down lower towards the ocean (sometimes right on the beach), in Oct., but the caribou will be rutting and the meat is uneatable when they are in the middle of the rut.

There are caribou on Kodiak? I dont think I have ever heard anyone talking about hunting them there.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
Caribou hunting is excellent up in Chugiak Alaska. I’d focus your efforts up there for a great trip!

The deer will be down lower towards the ocean (sometimes right on the beach), in Oct., but the caribou will be rutting and the meat is uneatable when they are in the middle of the rut.
That's a fact, even the peperoni tastes like rutty caribou... :sick:

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
Well trying to figure out what we want to do. The caribou thing would not be the focus just be a nice bonus if around. Interesting that they don’t taste good in the rut. I’ve shot rutted up bull elk that were great table fare.

More interested in shooting a couple of deer a piece but if caribou are around I would love to whack one.

Tinsman

FNG
There are caribou on Kodiak? I dont think I have ever heard anyone talking about hunting them there.
Used to be feral reindeer. Think they were reclassified as caribou several years back.
You might try floating the Ayakulik. Tons of deer, but the caribou were a hike. Seahawk Air would be my choice.