How to remove shadows on dslr sony a5100

luizcrf

FNG
Hello everyone!
Two weeks ago I bought a Sony a5100 with 16-50 lenses (Model SELP1650), but when I started filming I noticed shadows around the image.
I researched forums about the problem, and saw that it could be an effect called 'vignette'.
I shoot with the setting 1/80 F5.6 and ISO around 400 to 600 (with 3 lamps of 60w in a room of 3 meters by 3 meters)
and I was recommended to set the camera to 1/60 F11 and a higher ISO (around 2000)
I put this setting, but with the ISO increased, the image is very saturated.
Is there any other solution to remove these shadows?
The camera is very good, and the focus is fast, but this problem with "shadows" (or "vignettes") is putting an end to my filming.

The image below is part of a shot on a white wall
Configurations: 1/80 F5.6 and ISO around 400 to 600 (with 3 60w lamps in a 3 meter by 3 meter room)

Attachments

• IMAGEM.png
    IMAGEM.png
    251.8 KB · Views: 23

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
Vignetting is a byproduct of lens elements and light interaction, which can sometimes be more present on cheaper lenses or lenses with higher zoom ranges. There are a few things you can try, including turning on Active Distortion Correction within the camera (though this may introduce noise in the corners depending on ISO and available light), using a different lens or correcting the vignette in post production (either video or still images).

This article details the distortion and vignette commonly present in your 16-50mm Sony lens https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/842-sony1650f3556oss?start=1

Example of post production correction with a simple levels adjustment. Better, but it's still present somewhat:
DEjRMJp.jpg

For photos, many programs like Adobe Lightroom have built in lens profiles that you can enable to correct lens distortion (fisheyeing/pincushioning) and vignetting, or you can manually correct those in Photoshop, Premiere, GIMP or whatever your image or video editing program of choice is.

OP
L

luizcrf

FNG
Vignetting is a byproduct of lens elements and light interaction, which can sometimes be more present on cheaper lenses or lenses with higher zoom ranges. There are a few things you can try, including turning on Active Distortion Correction within the camera (though this may introduce noise in the corners depending on ISO and available light), using a different lens or correcting the vignette in post production (either video or still images).

This article details the distortion and vignette commonly present in your 16-50mm Sony lens https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/842-sony1650f3556oss?start=1

Example of post production correction with a simple levels adjustment. Better, but it's still present somewhat:
DEjRMJp.jpg

For photos, many programs like Adobe Lightroom have built in lens profiles that you can enable to correct lens distortion (fisheyeing/pincushioning) and vignetting, or you can manually correct those in Photoshop, Premiere, GIMP or whatever your image or video editing program of choice is.
Hello, in my case it is not a photo, but filming.
Which correct program should I use?

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
Any real video editing program should have curves/levels correction tools built in. You could create essentially an inverted mask of the vignetting and adjust only the dark areas. I'd suggest filming some actual content similar to what you are intending to shoot since outdoors or on a variety of backgrounds that aren't pure white it might not even be noticeable.

Chris F

FNG
I shoot mostly still, so I'll offer my insights from that perspective since you're shooting with a mirrorless camera. Vignetting is a byproduct of lens and sensor mismatch. Some of the simple ways you can minimize it in your setup is a) don't shoot so wide. If you're seeing it at 16mm, you'll probably see less as you go longer. b) stop down. ...though I question how much that will help if you're seeing it at f5.6. You might try f8 or f11 and boost your ISO to compensate. c) just crop out the vignetting in the editing process.

Beyond that, you can apply lens correction and masks etc as charliebravo77 has suggested.
Good luck.

Chris F

FNG
...apparently these lenses are know for vignetting;

This is not about the kit lens and is a little surprising on what I would guess is part of their premium line (f2.8);

...but my advice remains the same;
Stop down, zoom in, or crop down.