How to revive these used La Sportivas ?

substorm

FNG
Hello Everyone,

Just discovered this great forum and thought I would start my first thread.

Recently I've purchased these used Gore-Tex La Sportivas shown below but unfortunately for the life of me I cannot determine the model. If someone could steer me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Although for $40 CAD I shouldn't worry about wear and tear, I think I can still extend their life.
The bottom outer soles are a bit worn down but as long as they don't start cracking, it should still last a few seasons.

In the photo, I've included the main areas of concern, namely:
1. From the inside label, I believe the light grey parts are synthetic leather which is starting to peel. What would you recommend to treat it with? After the treatment, is it possible to touch up with paint the white spots?
2. Looks like the laces were catching on the synthetic leather and pulled out a section of the thread. Would it be easy to repair that myself?
3. There is another small section in the back that also had loose thread and the previous owner decided to glue it. Would that be sufficient or should I sew it together?
4. There are some rough spots around the inner edge of the outer sole. I was thinking to straighten it with an x-ackto knife. Not sure if that is advisable?
5. Could I clean those scuff marks with magic eraser?

Last but not least, wondering how I should waterproof them?

Thanks

2021-04-29_11h15_33.png

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I'd just wear them. My new ones look way worse after 15 days of elk hunting.

A mild oxyclean scrub will brighten them up. As far as the stitching on those boots it's likely they are glued panel to panel as well as stitched. I personally wouldn't bother stitching repair and would re glue as needed. Nikwax TX direct works well to add a repellent layer, but if the boot doesn't have an in-tact waterproof liner there's no way you'll get them totally waterproof.

Edit: they have a Goretex liner. I missed the tag at first viewing. I still like to treat the outside of mine, but it’s about impossible to repair that liner if it’s no longer waterproof. You’ll just have to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearsears

WKR
I like the Granger line of boot care products. They have great cleaning and waterproofing products. I used them to spiff up a pair of used Lowa Mountain Experts I picked up last year. In my experience the Granger waterproofing has worked better than nikwax.

Mosby

WKR
I would just wear them. Maybe put in a fresh insole and go. I spray all of my boots with a silicone spray I get at Walmart. I don't expect it to "waterproof" my leather, I just use it as sort of a base layer to build off of. I let it dry for a day and then give them a treatment of Kennetrek boot wax.

1619789578532.png

wildcat33

WKR
Trango Extreme Evo is the model.

If the goretex is shot, nothing to be done to waterproof them. Some kind of spray might work for a few miles but not prolonged snow slogging. As far as the rest of the boot, they look in great condition. Not much to revive there. Just wear and enjoy knowing you got a pair of nice boots for 40 bucks.

OP
substorm

substorm

FNG
I really appreciate everyone's comments, especially @wildcat33 for providing the model. As such, I was able to determine that the light grey sections that are pretty dry and starting to peel are made from Lorica synthetic leather. I have read that a common trick for conditioning leather boots is to apply petroleum jelly which I have plenty left over from my kids' baby years. Would this also work for faux leather?
I will also have a look at the other recommended products, namely Granger, Kennetrek and Nikwax.
That brings another question: what's the best way to sanitize the inside of the boot to minimize bad odor?

@Marbles is there a fee for resoling? Would La Sportiva also send me replacement insoles?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really appreciate everyone's comments, especially @wildcat33 for providing the model. As such, I was able to determine that the light grey sections that are pretty dry and starting to peel are made from Lorica synthetic leather. I have read that a common trick for conditioning leather boots is to apply petroleum jelly which I have plenty left over from my kids' baby years. Would this also work for faux leather?
I will also have a look at the other recommended products, namely Granger, Kennetrek and Nikwax.
That brings another question: what's the best way to sanitize the inside of the boot to minimize bad odor?

@Marbles is there a fee for resoling? Would La Sportiva also send me replacement insoles?

You would have to pay. They have a list of authorized cobblers and you contact them. It is a way to extend the life of expensive boots. You have to get the sole replaced before the rand is damaged though.