How to schedule multiple hunts without confirmation

I was hoping to get some general advice. Maybe this is a good problem to have, but I am hoping to book a few different hunts over the next few years. I applied for a goat tag for 2021 with a good friend of mine and have an opportunity to go elk hunting with a few good friends, that we can book now, for 2022. The goat is draw, and was told it may take a year or two to get drawn. I am also planning a caribou hunt. So its possible two of these may get drawn/planned in the same year. I don’t want to miss out on one hunt waiting for the other, but also don’t want to book a hunt to find out I draw the other, potentially with overlap. And, it seems guides are booked out one to two years for the pay to play hunts. How do you all experienced hunters plan multiple trips like this? I am from the Midwest and am finally in a financial position to go on a trip and want to do it before the bones are too old. Thanks a bunch for any advice.

Ryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
Don’t put in for tag you don’t plan to hunt and hunt every tag you draw I had to take 5 weeks off this year to get Utah and Alaska in being a Montana resident wife was not very impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ryjack70ss
Don’t put in for tag you don’t plan to hunt and hunt every tag you draw I had to take 5 weeks off this year to get Utah and Alaska in being a Montana resident wife was not very impressed

I hear you on that. But then how do people plan on other hunts if you’re waiting on draw results? If you end up drawing multiple, just end up like you, in marriage counseling? :)

def90

WKR
Don't put in for overlapping hunts?

Or put in for overlapping hunts knowing that you are doing it to increase odds and then just take the more desireable one if you happen to draw both.

cgasner1

WKR
My buddy and I apply for 10 tags or so a year in the 5% range and put in for different tags every year to keeps us at the 5% we figure statistics should give us a good tag every other year I’ve built up a good bank of pto so if I get hit with a wild card like Utah this year still have the time away from work to cover the hunts before I had the bank we just built points and did otc so we could plan accordingly every year

cgasner1

WKR
I wouldn’t be worried about season dates over lapping unless it’s a super short season on both. On my Utah hunt this year my buddy came with me he pulled a Montana antelope tag plan was to kill his goat then hunt my entire Utah tag so we would be getting better rut action the weather turned in Montana we called a audible and headed to Utah early killed my buck and came back to Montana and he killed a slammer goat 2 tags just means you have options

Where you hunting goats? And how important is it that you hunt goats in that particular unit with that particular guide? There are several great OTC goat areas where you can pick exactly when you want to hunt. There are also draw tag hunts for goats starting as early as August and ending in October which would leave you a huge window.

Rich M

WKR
I plan a trip a year. Don't have more than 2 wks Vaca to spend roaming the country to hunt.

Talking about 2022 and 2024 for hunts right now.

OP
ryjack70ss
Where you hunting goats? And how important is it that you hunt goats in that particular unit with that particular guide? There are several great OTC goat areas where you can pick exactly when you want to hunt. There are also draw tag hunts for goats starting as early as August and ending in October which would leave you a huge window.

Applied for Alaska for goat in 2021. App is already in, so if I draw, I am committed. But moving forward, I see why people just pay for the OTC hunts and get their dates on the books. Much more convenient, although it seems it can be more expensive.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
Applied for Alaska for goat in 2021. App is already in, so if I draw, I am committed. But moving forward, I see why people just pay for the OTC hunts and get their dates on the books. Much more convenient, although it seems it can be more expensive.

The good thing with Alaska is you should know if you draw by mid February. Hopefully if you draw and the other tags aren't put in for yet then you can just get a preference/bonus point. If you are booked with an outfitter on the other hunts the year you draw goat, maybe they will work with you.
Good luck in the goat draw and don't draw my tag! :)

Laramie

WKR
Your problem is why OTC hunts are so popular. If guys don't draw, they buy the OTC tag so they are at least hunting that year. Those hunts generally aren't the same quality but hunting is better than not...