How to sell an AR question - probably a dumb one

AZ_J

FNG
So i was probably one of the many people that spent their stimulus check on a Ruger AR. I am since regretting this decision, and want to build a bolt gun for predator hunting instead. So, aside from where you post the gun to be sold, how do you sell the thing?

I understand the payment process, but what about shipping? do FFL dealers accept shipments from private parties, or would I need to get an FFL on my side to transfer the firearm to another FFL dealer?

Mainly I just want to ensure that after the sale and shipment that I am no longer tied to the rifle in any ways in the eyes of the government.

Most FFLs will ship for you. They will charge you a shipping fee, some will also charge a transfer fee. Some get shipping price cuts and ends up being as cheap or cheaper than you could ship it yourself.

Many FFLs will accept a shipment from a private party, but I would have your buyer, or you, speak directly to them to confirm. Some FFLs are being very weird about bringing in transfers these days, some aren’t.

As long as you are shipping to an ffl you are no longer the owner in any possible way of that rifle. Hell if you’re in a free state now there is nothing to “track” you to that gun other than the 4473 you filled out at your FFL. You can hand it to someone in a private transfer and you’re still not the owner in any way it’s just a harder to prove it.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the correct process is to go to your local FFL and establish the transfer to the buyers FFL. At that point you take it to FedEX or UPS to have it shipped to the buyers FFL. Depending on the state the buyer is in they may have a waiting period but the transfer from FFL to FFL will transfer the rifle out of your name. This is how I have had to do this in the past.

OP
A

AZ_J

FNG
Alright, I think I will have my local FFL dealer do the shipping since it might give me a little more peace of mind. Thanks for the quick replies.

Alright, I think I will have my local FFL dealer do the shipping since it might give me a little more peace of mind. Thanks for the quick replies.
If they will ship it for you it’s by FAR the easiest way. It will go into their books, then they will mail it to the other ffl. The second it goes into their books it’s no long your property and you walk out the door.

Vandy321

WKR
Google a few of the other more AR oriented forums and post there too.

Be sure to mark it up 20% over new as it is election season, you'll get it.

Half kidding on that, but price gouging is real right now.

While I might say right now is maybe the worst time to sell an AR, it’s def the best time to sell an AR if you truly don’t want it. They are bringing crazy money

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
If you decide to ship it yourself you will need to include a copy of your driver's license to prove where it came from

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
Make sure to include contact info of the buyer with the gun (in the case, attached to the gun) so the receiving FFL knows who the gun belongs to (buyer). You would be surprised at how many guns show up at FFL's without that info and they have to figure out who's gun it is.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
I don't understand the "tied to the gun in any ways in the eyes of the government" comment. AZ permits private sales. Sell it to someone in AZ and save shipping. There is no gun registry. You saying, "I sold that gun," should end any inquiry. You have no obligation to provide documented evidence of that.