How to understand preference points and licenses.

darmento

FNG
I recently began the process of trying to actually get my own hunting license for Wyoming or Colorado. Up to this point, I’ve always used guide services that help me with the process. I am amazed at how complicated licenses can be in Colorado and Wyoming, and for that matter all the rest of the western states.
I just subscribed to HuntScore, which is a site that helps explain the various units, draws, and odds for these states. So far it seems like a good resource.
If anyone can suggest any other resources to help me Learn the ropes, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance for any help you can give

wytx

WKR
For Wyoming, buy your PPs for every species you want to hunt.
Build a few, at least , for a better hunt.
License types are explained online.
Draw odds are also posted online to help you decide what you can draw.
Some areas and Region licenses can be drawn with 0-1 PPs but know they can have limited access, deer areas, same for pronghorn.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Tough crowd. It takes alot of reading. Every state is different. There is no easy button. Go hunt or similar apps will give you advise and ideas. I put in for enough states I’m reading regs for hours because I can’t keep them straight through out the year. Once you get a system down make a spreadsheet it will make it easier in future. One these years ill do that lol.

When doing multiple states I'd recommend joining Epic Outdoors... they can do the applications for you or you can just call and get their advice. Listen to a few of their podcasts.... solid guys!

cs1

FNG
The best way to understand each state is to just sit down and read their regs. Over and over, just like reading ASTM specs. The more you read, the more it makes sense. I’d download and save all the PDF’s you can, bookmark and highlight the important pages / paragraphs. Spreadsheets and dedicated notebooks are your friend.
That being said, the preference point vs bonus point thing gets confusing. I’ve actually called several state’s 1-800 number with mixed results. Sometimes you’ll get a kind soul who explains it very well and sometimes you just get a warm body.
For Colorado when you apply for the draw your hunting license is automatically put into your cart. If you buy an OTC elk tag you don’t need to buy a hunting license (“Small Game Hunting License”) which doesn’t make sense to me but heck it saves you $80 or so.

Keep chugging-

LostArra

WKR
One thing to keep in mind when looking at any government G&F website especially regarding point systems:
As a non-resident you are a source of income for the department and they are MARKETING something to you that has no tangible value. You can't sell it or give it to your kids. It promises you nothing and they might change the whole system the following year.

The picture the G&F department paints of the point you bought may be rosier than reality.

Same goes for the application services. They are a business to make money so they want you to be intimidated by the tag process but optimistic about getting one..

That said, it ain't hard to get a nr tag and go hunt.

Last edited: