How warm is Kuiu Axis Jacket?

pawlyb

FNG
It's hard for me to get a gauge for how warm this coat is and what I should add in terms of insulation, etc. If you were wearing a baselayer; a modest, say, fleece mid-layer; and this jacket, how cold could you withstand sitting? Just looking for ballpark estimates. Thanks

Seeknelk

WKR
Sitting? About 30 degrees for a while. Not really very insulated. It's so variable tho. Put a puffy under it, if it fits, and now your talking. If it's not too windy or precip I'd prefer just a big puffy to sit.

OP
pawlyb

pawlyb

FNG
Sitting? About 30 degrees for a while. Not really very insulated. It's so variable tho. Put a puffy under it, if it fits, and now your talking. If it's not too windy or precip I'd prefer just a big puffy to sit.
Appreciate that, thank you

The Kuiu axis jacket is a great jacket, I have two of those. But there is the right application for it.

That clothes layer you mentioned works great for a still sitting situation such as a tree stand bow hunting, but I would definitely add another layer if under 50°.

However if you’re moving, that combo would be fine to 20°, you may even want to open the armpit zippers to dump heat.

WyoKid

WKR
A puffy under an Axis? I found the arms of my jacket too tight to comfortable fit a puffy. If I went a size larger, the arms were wide enough but then the arms are too long. Anyone else have this issue with the Axis? Otherwise a great jacket with a merino mid layer or just a base layer for active hunting IMHO.

Lowg08

WKR
I actually had this very discussion with kuiu the other day. I was needing advice on below 20 late season bow hunting. Also keeping weight in mind since I only back pack hunt. Pro merino 200, Kenai ultra and axis jacket. If you are going to wear a purify under it. You will need to upsize due to the sizing being the same. It was also suggested a peloton 240 could be worn under the kenai

OP
pawlyb

pawlyb

FNG
I actually had this very discussion with kuiu the other day. I was needing advice on below 20 late season bow hunting. Also keeping weight in mind since I only back pack hunt. Pro merino 200, Kenai ultra and axis jacket. If you are going to wear a purify under it. You will need to upsize due to the sizing being the same. It was also suggested a peloton 240 could be worn under the kenai

Now we’re getting at my follow up questions… thanks for your reply by the way. So just to be clear, it was recommended to pair the kenai as a midlayer under the axis? And that would be good for around freezing temperatures?

For me one of the biggest issues in deciding is choosing whether I want to get an overlaid puffy like the super down, or go with an underlayer like Kenai or super down ultra - but then I’m having to upsize the shell jacket and it would be baggy in light weather.

Kenai under axis sounds pretty versatile… any recommendations on pants combos?

Lowg08

WKR
Yes that was the suggestion and the guy was in Alaska that suggested it. He suggested the pro merino 200 bottoms under the attack pants with the kenai pant. I use a touch different set up. I wear 145, 200 under a FL catalyst foundry. Uncompaghre pant over those or my under armor alpine ops. The kenai is quiet but I’m already got a pretty solid set up and been contemplating the change for quiet but I’m still undecided. I now wear kiln, Klamath brooks down corrugate foundry. Between ounces and material. It’s almost splitting hairs. Now remember I’m talking worst case cold scenario.

crich

WKR
Fwiw I love my peloton 240 so much I have 3 of them, but I really dont like wearing it as a mid layer. its a stiffer material and is uncomfortable to me. As an outer layer with a puffy on top while glassing it would be fine just like any other jacket.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m only researching these options. I have had an excellent year with my current set up. Never was cold or wet and could always stay. Just looking to tweak and cut a little weight. Which is splitting hairs. More than likely end up just buying a catalyst jacket a size up and a Sitka whatever it is that is fleece and short sleeved

OP
pawlyb

pawlyb

FNG
Yes that was the suggestion and the guy was in Alaska that suggested it. He suggested the pro merino 200 bottoms under the attack pants with the kenai pant. I use a touch different set up. I wear 145, 200 under a FL catalyst foundry. Uncompaghre pant over those or my under armor alpine ops. The kenai is quiet but I’m already got a pretty solid set up and been contemplating the change for quiet but I’m still undecided. I now wear kiln, Klamath brooks down corrugate foundry. Between ounces and material. It’s almost splitting hairs. Now remember I’m talking worst case cold scenario.
Big help!

I will wear my axis pants with a base layer into the high 40’s while sitting in a tree stand, but honestly the kuiu material is kinda loud for treesrand bowhunting. If rifle hunting at some distance then you will he fine.
I find using the stratus pants/bibs to be much more suited for treestand bow hunting and those are in line with the warmth and wind-proofness of the axis pants.
Dont get me wrong, i love the axis pants. They are a great and versatile pant, but just not really perfect for treestand bow hunting.

I would expect the same from the jacket (i dont have it). But i can use the stratus jacket with a base and mid into the high 30’s easily. Much colder than thay and i will go for my fanatic jacket, but the sitka midi jacket gives some good range extension for each.