How was Colorado 1st rifle?

First time elk hunting but similar experiences as above. Snow, mud, full moon, plenty of hunters, and not many elk seen. Still had a great time and plan to go again next year. Good luck during your trip, hopefully you get to see some!

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
First timer for both CO and elk hunting, our group came out of 1st season with 3 bulls for 6 guys and 5 of us took shots. I apparently had bull fever and screwed the pooch, found some blood but no elk. Was a great experience to see elk sign and habitat in person, get shot opportunities, as well as help butcher gutless method which we don't do back here in MI. Learned a LOT for next time.

There was snow the day before we went in, which turned to mud in 55 deg sun the next day. Then it snowed again and was cold, which turned to mud again when it swung back to warm. Definitely recommend gaiters for your boots.

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
I just had a cow tag but got lucky. I saw 5 bulls and two cows over the course of two days. It snowed a dusting the day before season but melted by day 2. We did see a good number of other hunters who complained of lack of elk but I don't think they got off the 4 wheelers much. It was a fun hunt . I ended up shooting this cow at 20 yards as she trotted by with another cow and two small bulls. Something spooked them as it looked like they had been running for awhile. She was a pretty good sized cow but the pack out was only a mile and pretty level, which made it not too bad.
1636032602959.jpeg

Last edited:
Went in 5 days prior to opening to get camp established before the snow moved in. Was able to pattern the elk based off tracks in the snow. Paid attention to the 3 other camps in my area... The fat guys from Wisconsin were unwilling to lose elevation more than 50 vertical feet, and the others thought they had to drop all the way in... I just worked the mid mountain and tagged out at 4p on the opener. Had everything hanging on the meat pole by 1am. Solo20211015_092807.jpg
20211016_163229.jpg

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Had lots of snow in north central colorado. Saw lots of hunters near roads but none when hiking in. Barely heard any shots though. Found lots of fresh tracks and urine but it seemed they were moving through the night cuz we never laid eyes on an elk. Was my first time elk hunting and a hell of a good time. Going back in 5 weeks but different area. Hopefully I get to at least see one elk lol.