How/where to keep your pistol while sleeping?

rob86jeep

WKR
If you pack a pistol in the woods, where do you keep it while sleeping and how (one in the chamber, mag loaded but empty chamber, mag next to empty pistol)?

I've always carried my guns loaded (with one in the chamber) ready to fire but make a habit out of taking the mag out (and empty chamber) if the pistol isn't on my side and in my holster. While I'm sleeping though, I don't want to have my holster on but feel weird about having it ready to fire if it's not. Just curious what the consensus is.

In the past, I've kept the pistol next to my sleeping bag (in the holster still though) with a mag in the gun but no round in the chamber. Whatever I do, I always make a point of announcing to the people with me where, and what condition, the pistol is in just in case something happens and they get to it before me.

EastMT

WKR
Mom used to have horrible nightmares and dad kept his 44 under the pillow so the first pull landed on a dead chamber, he said he had one click to dive for the woods hahaha.

I keep one in the chamber in bear country. Out of bear country I don’t usually.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Loaded and holstered next to me. This applies when playing by grownup rules. Bears around, no drunks, no kids.

If I can’t squeeze the trigger and shoot a critter eating my head, it’s worthless

I put my Zlite sit pad next to my head as like a night stand. On it (in grizz country) goes my revolver fully loaded uncocked, head lamp, and cell phone, and bear spray.

Thankfully I never really sleep and we try to pile dead fall around us so we should be able to hear something coming.

TBHasler

WKR
I'm never in Grizzly country but have always kept mine with loaded mag, empty chamber and to right side of my pillow. I think the best approach is get into a routine - repeat and always keep things the same. It's hard to practice for the situation that may arise where it is needed but visualizing your reactions & actions over and over can help

Netherman

WKR
In the past, I've kept the pistol next to my sleeping bag (in the holster still though) with a mag in the gun but no round in the chamber. Whatever I do, I always make a point of announcing to the people with me where, and what condition, the pistol is in just in case something happens and they get to it before me.

I'm with you on trying to figure out the best strategy. This year I did basically the same as you except I kept one in the chamber. My concern with this method is waking up as a bear burrito (fully zipped in bag) without access to my gun. Also drawing from a unattached kydex holster requires two hands and may present a problem if needed quickly.

I'm considering having the gun unloaded in the chamber and unholstered in my sleeping bag. It seems like it would be really difficult to rack the slide while sleeping but it still makes me nervous. I use a drop leg holster and think it would be uncomfortable and difficult to draw from inside a sleeping bag.

muddydogs

WKR
The less you mess with a firearm the less likely you'll have a negligent discharge. All this loading and unloading can get one in trouble not to mention one needs to be conscious of continually loading the same round and possible bullet set back.

My pistol whether in the trailer, tent or home is ready to go out of its holster when i'm sleeping with my flashlight placed next to the grip.

Last edited:

Norm555

WKR
Loaded revolver up near my head when sleeping in grizzly country. Obviously I make sure it's pointed away from me or another person if there are two people in the tent.

JG358

WKR
I don't understand constantly loading and unloading sidearms. Mine is loaded, one in the pipe and with in easy reach. Holster, no holster just depends on the situation .

87TT

WKR
The less you mess with a firearm the less likely you'll have a negligent discharge. All this loading and unloading can get one it trouble not to mention one needs to be conscious of continually loading the same round and possible bullet set back.

My pistol whether in the trailer, tent or home is ready to go out of its holster when i'm sleeping with my flashlight placed next to the grip.
^^^^^THIS

Rob5589

WKR
The less you mess with a firearm the less likely you'll have a negligent discharge. All this loading and unloading can get one it trouble not to mention one needs to be conscious of continually loading the same round and possible bullet set back.

Absolutely. The continual F'n around with it is what gets people into trouble.

I keep it loaded, not holstered, pointed in a safe direction, at around shoulder height. Flashlight and headlamp next to it.

Loaded and out of the holster by my side, outside of sleeping bag. I think youre asking for trouble needing to work a slide or remove a holster with two hands if a bear has collapsed your tent on you. As well, try getting a slide to go into full battery without pinching when you are under as much stress as most of us will likely ever encounter... covered in sleeping bag and tent. Too much room for error imho. My only goal when my hand finds that grip is BLAMMY!
YMMV

Azone

WKR
Loaded revolver next to a flashlight within arms reach. Sometimes if there is heavy bear presence around camp I will sleep with my head lamp on over my beanie. I usually dont toss and turn too much at night so leaving it on my head makes it one less thing to look for if the fit hits the shan with Yogi and BooBoo. On the nights I do toss in turn the first time it ends up around my neck it usually gets thrown to the other end of the tent after that.

*zap*

WKR
My self defense gun is always ready to shoot if I pull the trigger. Since it seems we are talking tent and sleeping bag then it is in or under the bag in a holster. Under the sleeping pad closest to the tent side is a good spot, imo. Just always leave it in the same spot once you figure out where works best for you.