How/where to keep your pistol while sleeping?

Stickbow

FNG
I am always amazed at people that say having a unracked pistol is useless. Its less useful than a racked one in the worst case, but there are many cases where it is still useful...

Personally I would not keep a condition one firearm, with no true safety, unholstered right next to where I was sleeping. Grabbing wildly in the dark seems like a recipe for a ND.

answering original question, loaded, one in chamber, safety on, in holster up near the top of my sleeping bag, usually in the nest with me but on the side closest to the door.

Elk97

WKR
This is one of the reasons why I only carry a revolver in the woods, it's always loaded and ready by pillow.

Mosby

WKR
I like 1911's for wood's guns, in part because of the safety system. I keep one locked and cocked and out of the holster with the safety on right next to me. It has to be in my hand to discharge(at least thats the theory). When I am in bear country I take my Glock and it always has one in the chamber, but I always seem to have one eye on it.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Between my head and waist on my left side so I can roll to my left and grab it with my right hand. Have a small, high intensity flashlight on the same white pad, makes it easier to see it in the dark. Gun is loaded with a full cylinder.

*zap*

WKR
A pistol with an empty chamber is good if someone takes it from you and pulls the trigger while pointing it at you....:love:

Wapiti1

WKR
Regardless of where, my revolvers or pistols are loaded and ready. No empty chambers. They are always in a convenient location with an available flashlight.

I make one sort of exception. At home, our defense revolver is in a small smart vault attached to the side of my dresser. I have a 4 year old grandson that lives with us, and, while I have taught him about firearms, I think it is better this way. The revolver is loaded, and both my wife and I can get it out in a couple of seconds. We have practiced the drill, just in case.

Jeremy

EastMT

WKR
I once slept in a tent at the end of fishing season in Chitna where they dipnet salmon and fillet them. Bears walking right through camp. I slept with my pistol strapped to my hip. Uncomfortable as all hell, but there were 3 12ga warning shots by other tents that night, I was holding it close.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

I’m more worried about people and maybe coyotes. My Glock sits In a fabric iwb holster in my bag on my strong side. I can slip it out of the holster 1 handed as quietly or quickly as needed. So far in many years of camping I only thought I was going to need it once but a shout scared the pack of coyotes off.

tdhanses

WKR
I don't understand constantly loading and unloading sidearms. Mine is loaded, one in the pipe and with in easy reach. Holster, no holster just depends on the situation .

Exactly mine is loaded 24/7 in the when I’m hunting.

I put it in my boot within easy reach. Always keep my headlamp with it.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm in my hammock it's in the hammock pocket. It is always loaded with one in the chamber. I also have a weapon mounted light on it. It stays in the kydex holster until I'm ready to shoot. If I'm in a tent, it's usually around my pillow

I will never understand not having a round in the chamber. If you are concerned about an AD, just use a holster that provides trigger protection. If things are bad enough to pull it, sure as heck want a round in there ready to go.

I keep my Glock 19 just to the right of my pillow under a shirt when camping. It has a very bright grip activated white light on it.

I would say carry how you train. Personally I always have my pistol right at the base of my tent pole, holstered in my boot. That way no matter the light I can find the pole, follow down and hopefully grab, draw and make a shot. I will say I have practiced some 5 yard shots sitting, in all directions. Not as easy as you think. Couple that with a tent in your face could be really sporty!!

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
The less you mess with a firearm the less likely you'll have a negligent discharge. All this loading and unloading can get one in trouble not to mention one needs to be conscious of continually loading the same round and possible bullet set back.

My pistol whether in the trailer, tent or home is ready to go out of its holster when i'm sleeping with my flashlight placed next to the grip.
While this may be partially true, I load/unload a firearm daily out of necessity so it doesn't matter if it increases the risk or not. As for bullet setback, while I do believe it's possible, I don't think it's a concern if you have quality ammunition. There are hundreds of thousands of cops who load/unload the same round every single day and I've never heard of a round malfunctioning/ruining the gun because of bullet setback.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I would say carry how you train. Personally I always have my pistol right at the base of my tent pole, holstered in my boot. That way no matter the light I can find the pole, follow down and hopefully grab, draw and make a shot. I will say I have practiced some 5 yard shots sitting, in all directions. Not as easy as you think. Couple that with a tent in your face could be really sporty!!
This is absolutely true, which is why i'm trying to figure out a good way forward for this situation. I have a good system down for home defense and every day carry, but am trying to figure out my woods sleeping plan.

I do like your idea of the gun in my boots at the base of the tent pole though. I am still trying to figure out if I'm comfortable having a gun (with no safety) ready to fire when it's not on my hip.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I will never understand not having a round in the chamber. If you are concerned about an AD, just use a holster that provides trigger protection. If things are bad enough to pull it, sure as heck want a round in there ready to go.

I keep my Glock 19 just to the right of my pillow under a shirt when camping. It has a very bright grip activated white light on it.
If you have your gun in a holster (not on your person), it will require two hands and the same amount of time as if you had to rack the slide/chamber a round though.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Thanks for all the replies! This is the kind of experience/feedback I was hoping for. I still need to figure out what I want to do going forward, but it does help to hear about what/how everyone else handles it.

87TT

WKR
Gun and flashlight next to my pillow. Load with as many as it will hold. No safety, no loading, no racking, no holster no problems.
Trying to get it out of a holster in a hurry= chance of AD. Racking in a round= chance of AD.Trying chamber= chance of AD
KISS......keep it simple stupid

Werty

WKR
My pistol is loaded and out of holster " safety on". It is always next to my headlamp and phone.

This is absolutely true, which is why i'm trying to figure out a good way forward for this situation. I have a good system down for home defense and every day carry, but am trying to figure out my woods sleeping plan.

I do like your idea of the gun in my boots at the base of the tent pole though. I am still trying to figure out if I'm comfortable having a gun (with no safety) ready to fire when it's not on my hip.
Not being crass at all, but if you dont feel safe with your behavior around a loaded gun without a safety or holster... you are being honest with your abilities, should follow your instincts, and be commended for your honesty. You sound unfamiliar with guns (even though you daily carry) and theres no worse recipe than false bravado because others on the internet do things a certain way.
Take all the precautions your ability and comfort level allows, and Im sure you will be fine.
Best of luck