How/where to keep your pistol while sleeping?

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Not being crass at all, but if you dont feel safe with your behavior around a loaded gun without a safety or holster... you are being honest with your abilities, should follow your instincts, and be commended for your honesty. You sound unfamiliar with guns (even though you daily carry) and theres no worse recipe than false bravado because others on the internet do things a certain way.
Take all the precautions your ability and comfort level allows, and Im sure you will be fine.
Best of luck
I guess I should have clarified a little. I am good with loaded guns (LEO) but I don't like to have a loaded gun that's not 100% in my control/possession (meaning in my holster on my body). If I was solo in the woods, I could keep it loaded right next to me or sleep with it in my holster ready to go. When camping/hunting with other people (and I have the only gun), I want to keep it accessible to everyone while sleeping incase we get awoken by something attacking me but also wan't to make sure there are some safety measures (steps) so it's not able to fire with the quick grab and pull of a trigger. While I wouldn't keep a gun around people I don't trust, I also don't know if they have nightmares/sleep walk issues where an extra step or two to fire a weapon would be benificial. It might not make sense to others, but that's my way of thinking.

muddydogs

WKR
I guess I should have clarified a little. I am good with loaded guns (LEO) but I don't like to have a loaded gun that's not 100% in my control/possession (meaning in my holster on my body). If I was solo in the woods, I could keep it loaded right next to me or sleep with it in my holster ready to go. When camping/hunting with other people (and I have the only gun), I want to keep it accessible to everyone while sleeping incase we get awoken by something attacking me but also wan't to make sure there are some safety measures (steps) so it's not able to fire with the quick grab and pull of a trigger. While I wouldn't keep a gun around people I don't trust, I also don't know if they have nightmares/sleep walk issues where an extra step or two to fire a weapon would be benificial. It might not make sense to others, but that's my way of thinking.
This makes no sense, you only want a loaded firearm on your person so off person you want some safety measures but you want it accessible to everyone in your camp in case something happens to you. So you have an unloaded pistol laying around and if something happens to you you expect someone not familiar with the weapon to pick it up and load it under stress to save your life? Seems like the pistol should be ready to go so anyone could make use of it under stress. If everyone in your group is familiar with your firearm then they should know to keep there finger off the trigger.

Kind of seams that your way over thinking this and letting your insecurity's get in your way.

Last place I would put my pistol is in my wet stinky boot so it could set around all night in that nice moist environment.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
This makes no sense, you only want a loaded firearm on your person so off person you want some safety measures but you want it accessible to everyone in your camp in case something happens to you. So you have an unloaded pistol laying around and if something happens to you you expect someone not familiar with the weapon to pick it up and load it under stress to save your life? Seems like the pistol should be ready to go so anyone could make use of it under stress. If everyone in your group is familiar with your firearm then they should know to keep there finger off the trigger.

Kind of seams that your way over thinking this and letting your insecurity's get in your way.

Last place I would put my pistol is in my wet stinky boot so it could set around all night in that nice moist environment.
I'm not trying to argue here, I was just asking what other people do. It's not up to you what makes sense or not for me. If you feel comfortable leaving a loaded gun with no safety between sleeping people then by all means do it, it doesn't/won't bother me one bit. I don't feel comfortable having a gun loaded with no safety that's not in my control/possession. And to answer your question, if somebody can't figure out how to insert a magazine and rack a slide (after I've told them what condition the gun is in), then I don't want them handling a gun near me at all anyways. I was just looking for ideas, not looking for a lecture. Thanks for the advice though.

Edited: I just re-read this and I didn't mean for it to come off rude. Just saying that I know how to handle guns and choose to handle them in a way that I feel is the best compromise between security and safety. I'm not going to change this, but I was just looking to see how others handle the situation and if there's anything tips that I'm unaware of that can fit my safety requirements but make this easier/more accessible if somebody else needs to grab my gun before I can get to it.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
I prefer a shoulder rig so that I’m still armed with pack off and I don’t like anything on my belt with when using a pack.

I mostly sleep in a hammock, and guns tend to slide down and around loose in a hammock, so I keep my shoulder rig on. I do have a laser on my Glock 20 and loaded with round in chamber. I have zero worries about AD, trigger is covered and gun is strapped in. Night lights are great but limit holster options so I wear my headlamp to bed. For me this system is simple, I train with it and am always armed except when dressing/undressing.

If it’s cold I sleep in a tent. No changes for me.

When I get up to pee I don’t need to draw my weapon 😊