How would you setup reckoning pack

ofl0926

WKR
Hey what’s up everyone. So I have an upcoming November elk hunt innOregon. I’m trying to figure out the best set up for day pack mode with my reckoning and making sure I’m good with gear. We will not be packing in but will be off horse back. The accessories I have for the reckoning are two large pouches, medium pouch, guide lid, sherman, mini pocket. Trying to see which pouches to bring and which to leave. How would you set it up

Items I plan on taking in each day

Kifaru lpp
Puffy pants
Rain jacket/pants
Beanie and neck gaiter
First lite grizzly gloves
Fingerless Merino gloves and liner
Steripen
Kill kit
Kifaru Woobie
Hat and sunglasses
Bipod w/ rear bag
Tripod
Mid layer
Boot gaiters
Possibles pouch
Head lamp
Trekking poles
Jetboil
Nalegene bottle water bladder
Pack lunch and snacks
Some other random items

In my chest harness will have binos, chap stick, rangefinder, wind checker, extra ammo, spare headlamp, tag, pen

I’m just looking for suggestions on pack layout and what pockets would be best. I need to pull everything out and mess with myself but I’ve been busy with the kids and going to the range. Also thoughts on my daily gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwpenn

Lil-Rokslider
Hey what’s up everyone. So I have an upcoming November elk hunt innOregon. I’m trying to figure out the best set up for day pack mode with my reckoning and making sure I’m good with gear. We will not be packing in but will be off horse back. The accessories I have for the reckoning are two large pouches, medium pouch, guide lid, sherman, mini pocket. Trying to see which pouches to bring and which to leave. How would you set it up

Items I plan on taking in each day

Kifaru lpp
Puffy pants
Rain jacket/pants
Beanie and neck gaiter
First lite grizzly gloves
Fingerless Merino gloves and liner
Steripen
Kill kit
Kifaru Woobie
Hat and sunglasses
Bipod w/ rear bag
Tripod
Mid layer
Boot gaiters
Possibles pouch
Head lamp
Trekking poles
Jetboil
Nalegene bottle water bladder
Pack lunch and snacks
Some other random items

In my chest harness will have binos, chap stick, rangefinder, wind checker, extra ammo, spare headlamp, tag, pen

I’m just looking for suggestions on pack layout and what pockets would be best. I need to pull everything out and mess with myself but I’ve been busy with the kids and going to the range. Also thoughts on my daily gear.

Be careful with all that weight in your pack while on horseback. I speak from experience when I say too much weight will throw off your balance in rough/brushy terrain. Not to mention the pack may grab ahold of limbs and branches that you're not aware of until it's too late. A decent set of saddle packs and a small frameless day pack to transfer your stuff when you go on a stalk and get off the horse may be easier.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Be careful with all that weight in your pack while on horseback. I speak from experience when I say too much weight will throw off your balance in rough/brushy terrain. Not to mention the pack may grab ahold of limbs and branches that you're not aware of until it's too late. A decent set of saddle packs and a small frameless day pack to transfer your stuff when you go on a stalk and get off the horse may be easier.

I get what your saying
I was thinking of strapping the pack to the horse.

jwpenn

Lil-Rokslider
I get what your saying
I was thinking of strapping the pack to the horse.

Ask the outfitter/rancher/whoever has been riding your horse what they recommend. I did the same thing you are considering with my MR Metcalf. Next time I'm horseback for day hunting im gonna invest in saddle bags, as I described. On your gear list are you gonna boil water during the day? If not why are you throwing it in? Leave it at basecamp.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Ask the outfitter/rancher/whoever has been riding your horse what they recommend. I did the same thing you are considering with my MR Metcalf. Next time I'm horseback for day hunting im gonna invest in saddle bags, as I described. On your gear list are you gonna boil water during the day? If not why are you throwing it in? Leave it at basecamp.

Good call. I’ll give him a buzz this week.
Also good call on the jetboil. I was thinking for mid-day coffee but I might be using supplements powders instead.

Car7x

WKR
A dermatologist schooled on lip crap. Aquafor or similar actually helps hydrate lips. All of the chap stick style other stuff tends to contribute to the dryness. The fundamental solution is to hydrate more; lips are the canary in the coal mine!