How would you spend your Cabelas points?

I got a new credit card with better rewards based on a different thread. (Fidelity Visa 2% back) I still have my Cabelas black card with approximately $1500 to spend at Cabelas before I cancel the card. I have a few ideas but am looking for other ideas or advice. I don’t do as much shopping at Cabelas any more since bass pro bought them.

Any of my options seem to be at/over the $1500 but I get 5% back in points and once a month have been getting 10%off code.
Option 1 - Swarovski atx -65 or the ats 65
Option 2 - Nightforce scope or similar high end scope.
Option 3 - some sort of rifle if I can find one in stock.

I am gearing into elk hunting but don’t know if the spotter is worth it. I have only been elk hunting once. I have a couple rifles but not sure the high end scope would be worth it either.

Any other info needed or questions I’ll respond to but trying not to make this too long.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I'm not completely sure but I think you can use your points with world wide trophy adventures. Or you used to could.... might look at throwing it into a trip if you do t need gear. I have the same problem. I get some points built up and cabelas doesn't carry the thing i need or want at that time . I'm moving towards an airline card. I need some alaskan flights

Are you happy with your current rifle/scope combo? How about your binoculars or hunting/hiking boots? I like having a nice spotting scope, but I don't feel it is super high on the must have list.

CJ19

WKR
OP
WiscoHoundsman
I am mostly happy with my current rifle but typically had only worried about shooting out to 200 yards here in Wisconsin. I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 7mm with a Cabelas brand pine tree 4x12x44 (could use an upgrade here but not sure if this rifle is worth putting good glass on). I also won a savage model 14 in 300 wsm with a Nikon buckmasters 4x14x40 that has been a safe queen as I didn’t need to use it. I’m planning on practicing with the savage for this years elk hunt and hoping to get comfortable shooting to 400 yards. I have good boots I bought last year and use vortex viper 10x42 binoculars.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My suggestion would be but a good scope to put on the 7mm and spend the rest on ammo to get as much bench time as you can to feel proficient at 400 yards. Then again a smaller caliber rifle would fit nicely with those bigger two 😀

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Premium glass is a thing of beauty. If you want to be a long range “dial” guy, get the Niteforce. A Swarovski spotter is great at the range, or in the field. I love digiscoping with mine, brings back extra memories from the field.

Last edited:
I spent a bunch of left over points on a zeiss conquest to put on top of a tikka t3x lite ss.

Tikkas shoot incredible. You cant go wrong with purchasing a t3x lite and putting good glass on top.

What caliber did you get yours in handgun?

7 Mag. I have two other Tikkas. One is a semi-custom that used to be a 243 and is now a 7-08AI. The other is a 6.5x55.

I put a Meopta Optika6 on it.

CorbLand

WKR
I would look for something that you are going to use the most.

Spotting scope? Are you just wanting to kill an elk or do you want to count inches? Probably not worth much if you are just wanting to kill an elk and its not going to do anything for you back east.

Upgraded scope? Never a bad idea but do you think you will get the use out of it? You do not need a Nightforce for 200 yard shots. You do not need a Nightforce for 400 yard shots. Its not going to hurt you at those distances but if you dont plan on dialing, you are only gaining durability out of going to a Nightforce.

Rifle? Well, its never a bad thing to buy another gun but a 7 mag and 300 short has you covered for pretty much anything you need. So unless you have a need for something different, your probably not going to use it.

I get these are points, so you have to spend them but buying things you wont use, unless you have some want for them, is a waste. I work with a guy that drew an elk tag after 25 years of applying. He ran out bought a brand new 7 mag, put a scope on it, shot it a handful of times and all in all, was about 1500 bucks into the gun. He drove the 6 hours to the unit once before season to do some scouting. I asked him why he didn't go scouting more and he replied, its too expensive to drive that far. This was two years ago when fuel was at the lowest its been in 10 years. He could have made 10 scouting trips out there for what he paid for that rifle. The kicker, he has 3 of the exact same rifles, with similar scopes sitting in the safe already.

Like someone mentioned above, ammo would probably be the best thing you could buy.

Whats your binocular game look like? You would probably use those way more than anything.

Do you process your own meat? If you dont, have you looked into it? Around here, for some reason, its expensive to pay someone to do it. I paid for the equipment in two animals doing it myself.

Last edited:
OP
WiscoHoundsman
That’s my big problem I don’t need anything anymore that Cabelas Stocks. If they had ammo I would buy it but looking online the selection is shit.

I process and smoke my own meat. Maybe a nice cooler would be good. Binoculars are vortex vipers. I don’t plan on dialing but I do think some sort of scope upgrade would be nice but not necessary for my deer hunting around home.

The spotter doesn’t seem real necessary for elk hunting because I’ll probably soot the first legal one I see. I would use it some back home as I have a great view from my house and would leave it set up year round in my 3 season room.

The rifle was only on the list as a well everyone likes another gun, but it won’t get used a ton. I have guns I use and don’t have many holes in selection.

CorbLand

WKR
That’s my big problem I don’t need anything anymore that Cabelas Stocks. If they had ammo I would buy it but looking online the selection is shit.

I process and smoke my own meat. Maybe a nice cooler would be good. Binoculars are vortex vipers. I don’t plan on dialing but I do think some sort of scope upgrade would be nice but not necessary for my deer hunting around home.

The spotter doesn’t seem real necessary for elk hunting because I’ll probably soot the first legal one I see. I would use it some back home as I have a great view from my house and would leave it set up year round in my 3 season room.

The rifle was only on the list as a well everyone likes another gun, but it won’t get used a ton. I have guns I use and don’t have many holes in selection.
If you are just looking to burn your points, you are within spitting distance of a set off SLCs. That is what I would purchase.

OP
WiscoHoundsman
Im not seeing the SLC on their website except in 15x56 but they have 10x42 EL’s for $2200 right now so out of pocket I would be at 700 ish. I’m not sure how the EL compares to the SLC.

And yes basically looking to burn the points in the next 6 months so I can cancel the credit card.