How would you spend your Cabelas points?

CorbLand

WKR
Im not seeing the SLC on their website except in 15x56 but they have 10x42 EL’s for $2200 right now so out of pocket I would be at 700 ish. I’m not sure how the EL compares to the SLC.

And yes basically looking to burn the points in the next 6 months so I can cancel the credit card.
I keep forgetting Swaro discontinued the SLCs other than the 56mm objective. You can still find some company's that have them.

I would look at Leica Trinovids and Zeiss Conquests.

What about tents, sleeping bags, socks, headlamps, etc? All of those things are little purchases but do add up. I worked for a company that provided a discount on a lot of items and when they were taking it away, everyone looked to the big ticket items to purchase and I took to the everyday stuff.

Last edited:

Vaultman

WKR
I had a lot of points there about 3 years ago and waited for one of the 10% on everything today only sales and got the ATX eyepiece. I bought the 65mm objective off someone on here and am SUPER happy with that setup. I am kind of in the same boat as you now also. I have about $600 in points there now, and do not know where to use it either. This will be it for me with the Cabela's Club Card. I would like to get the 115mm objective on another 10% off everything day, but of course Cabela's doesn't carry it.

Mosby

WKR
I have gun dogs so I would look at some of their Lucky Duck or aluminum kennels.

swNEhunter

Lil-Rokslider
That’s my big problem I don’t need anything anymore that Cabelas Stocks. If they had ammo I would buy it but looking online the selection is shit.

I process and smoke my own meat. Maybe a nice cooler would be good. Binoculars are vortex vipers. I don’t plan on dialing but I do think some sort of scope upgrade would be nice but not necessary for my deer hunting around home.

The spotter doesn’t seem real necessary for elk hunting because I’ll probably soot the first legal one I see. I would use it some back home as I have a great view from my house and would leave it set up year round in my 3 season room.

The rifle was only on the list as a well everyone likes another gun, but it won’t get used a ton. I have guns I use and don’t have many holes in selection.
They stopped selling the majority of their ammo online over a year ago so they could replenish stores with the limited supply they were getting. I'd check your local Cabela's for ammo.

If I were you, I'd be looking at a new scope. No offense, but the two scopes you have on your rifles now could definitely be improved. I don't think you have to necessarily go all out and get a Nightforce, but you could get a Zeiss Conquest V4 or Leupold VX-5 with money leftover to get ammo and a big Yeti or Cabela's brand cooler.

I myself am not a trophy elk hunter with the very few opportunities I get, so as much as I would love an alpha glass spotting scope and binoculars, my money is better spent elsewhere.

CorbLand

WKR
Another option is does someone in your family or friends need something? You could work out a deal where they pay you, you order it for them. They get what they want and you get cash.

OP
WiscoHoundsman
I have been looking at a vx5 for a while but they had been low on inventory. It looks like they got some back in stock. I am not set on any one particular scope just mentioned Nightforce as it seems to get thrown around a lot here.

Yeah didn’t know that about ammo. Makes sense if I wasn’t an hour drive away I would stop more and look. May have to make a trip and see.

swNEhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at a vx5 for a while but they had been low on inventory. It looks like they got some back in stock. I am not set on any one particular scope just mentioned Nightforce as it seems to get thrown around a lot here.

Yeah didn’t know that about ammo. Makes sense if I wasn’t an hour drive away I would stop more and look. May have to make a trip and see.
Don't get me wrong, they definitely don't have every caliber available so may not have exactly what you want, but my local Bass Pro has a full aisle of odds and ends rifle ammo that's not listed online.

sndmn11

WKR
Step 1: Can you buy gift cards with points?

Step 2: If so, do you have a friend that works at Cabela's? They get 45% off cabelas/bass pro branded items, which might mean meopta optics, or a rebranded pellet grill. I use my buddy to buy 20lb pellets at $6per because of that discount.

tdvxrdob

FNG
I feel like its hard for someone else to tell you what you should spend it on. I think you are on the right track and have a few options in your head. With that said, I think you wouldnt be disappointed using it for a scope and ammo to practice with to get you comfortable extending your range.

Sturgeon

WKR
I would buy a nice scope for whichever gun you are taking out for elk. I would take that Pine scope off even if means switching the Nikon scope to the Ruger. I used to have one of those on muzzleloader and eventually switched to Leupold that was much nicer. I now have a nice 2-10x Zeiss that gets used hunting Wisconsin and out west and it is worth it.

OP
WiscoHoundsman
Lot of great advice here! It seems based on the comments that a scope of some sort as that is probably my most useful upgrade. A spotter could be nice to have but probably wont be used enough. Ill think on it for a while.

Rich M

WKR
Rain gear
Boots
Reloading stuff
Fish pole
Another pocket or hunting knife

Gosh almighty, they got catalogs full of stuff.

I think id do a bunch of smaller things ss opposed to 1 larger purchase.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
If you’ve never tried their base layers, I would say use a few of those points for a set of those. The MTP heavyweight series is legit and they’re on sale right now, I won’t buy much cabelas branded items but they’re the best base layers IMO.

range finder, inreach, game bags, Knives, Binos, Coolers, gun case you can fly with, water treatment, camp misc, boots, dehydrator, meatgrinder, dehydrated food, seasoning, rain gear, waders, wading boots, etc etc.
It all adds up.
If you were into fishing its not hard to burn it on electronics

Paradox

FNG
Why cancel the card? It will hurt your credit score and costs nothing to keep. Also I found my Cabelas card was the only one I have that doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees for Canadian charges. You can throw it in a drawer and use the points when a need comes up.
use it once a year to keep the bank happy
jmo
Ed

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
The Bass Pro near me had shotgun shells all year long when other stores didn't. They also weren't gouging on price. I spent a lot of points on shells. They also sell shotguns and handguns.

I also bought a dog kennel / crate and a dog bed with points. I just ordered a Garmin Instinct watch with points. I can use it with my Garmin 550 plus to track my dog.

A year or so ago I bought a fish fryer with points. They had one in stock at my store. They were on backorder everywhere else.

Trolling motor. Battery. Fish finder.

Got kids that need a new shotgun for trap. #1 growing sport in America. I always wanted an AR. Not sure where you are but cabelas in Owatonna mn had a bunch of guns just there today.