How young is too young for a first rifle?

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
My son will be turning 13 in late June and lives for 4 things (Jesus, family, baseball and hunting). He's been hunting with me since he was 5 and has killed 5 deer (2 bucks & 3 does) He archery hunted solo last year quite a bit and will be getting his MO hunters safety certification this summer. For his birthday I'm thinking about passing down the Ruger m77 mkII .308 that he has killed all of his deer with. He's mature beyond his years but I'm on the fence because of his age... thoughts?

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
Hes already shot 5 deer with it, I'm confused.... Sounds like that's his gun?
My dad gave me a .243 when I was 9, but it stayed in his safe until I moved out of the house at 18.
How does hunter safety work there? In WA there is no age min, but you have to pass the course so you can hunt, except for a 1 year deferral program.

Felix40

WKR
My dad gave me a .243 when I was 9, but it stayed in his safe until I moved out of the house at 18.
How does hunter safety work there? In WA there is no age min, but you have to pass the course so you can hunt, except for a 1 year deferral program.
My thoughts exactly. Just explain to him that its not something to be sold or ruined by poor care (letting it rust etc). It has more value than just what its worth.

OP
tp308

tp308

Lil-Rokslider

Youth can gun hunt at any age as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Hunters safety certification is required for anyone here to gun hunt solo. (Not required for archery) I bought this rifle for myself years ago... you could say it was on loan to him during all of our previous rifle hunts.

Last edited:

Harveyb

FNG
I bought my first rifle when I was 14. Still have it. My daughter took her first buck with it a few years ago.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I was given my first rifle at 13. I was even allowed to keep it in my room. However it had a lock on it and my parents kept the key.

It is a great right of passage gift, and 13 is a good age for it.

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
Youth can gun hunt at any age as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Hunters safety certification is required for anyone here to gun hunt solo. (Not required for archery) I bought this rifle for myself years ago... you could say it was on loan to him during all of our previous rifle hunts.
I wish WA had the same rules, makes more sense. Sounds like a great gift for him, and dandy WT!!

CajunLab

FNG
Each child is different I bought my son "his" rifle for his 6th birthday. He has killed one deer with it so far and missed this past season. "His" guns a .410 and "his" 243 stays locked in my safe until we go to the range or the woods. His mom and I are the only ones that know the code.

LLB

Lil-Rokslider
"How young is too young" That's really up to you to answer. I can tell you my brother and I had use of my parents' guns at age 12. I bought my son his 1st rifle at age 12. Same with my daughter. The guns stayed with me until they were 18.

Motown

WKR
My dad gave me my first 22 when I was 5 and it was a good old Remington 581S. My son is now 10 and already owns a Ruger American Youth 22, Ruger Single Six 22/22mag, Rem 11/87 20ga youth, and also a Tikka T3X 7/08 compact. They all stay locked up in the safe so he doesnt have access to them without me being present.

Every child is different and matures differently as well. Teaching them right from wrong is key and it sounds like your son has a good head on his shoulders. I also agree that it is up to each parent to when he/she thinks their child is ready, but I honestly think your son will be fine.

Last edited:

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I started my son on a 22 from the bench at 2yrs old, and bought his own Marlin 60 and Savage Mark II right before he turned 3. His first centerfire was an AR at 5, and now he’s about to turn 7, I’m building a 6 creed for him.

Every kid is a law unto themselves, but it certainly sounds like your boy more than ready to have his name imaginarily scribed on a rifle in your safe.

jjchad

WKR
I would say it depends on the kid, some 13 yr old kids I wouldn't hand over a butter knife to. But it sounds like your son is on the right path and would be fine.

RogerNH

FNG
My son is 6 and he has a Savage Rascal .22 LR that he enjoys shooting. I want to get him a "deer" rifle he can grow into but I'm not impressed with the compact rifles out there. I think I might start him on an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor and he can shoot it suppressed.

Rich M

WKR
I had a bb gun at 5, used my mom's 20 GA at 5. Bought a 22 target rifle and shot nra team at 7 & 8. Got a rem 742 3006 at 8 and deer hunted solo with that, ML, and bow. Bought 12 GA myself at about 10 w money earned doing odd jobs for folks.

Hand that rifle down... He's probably been ready for a few years.