How young to start kids in archery

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I was just wondering what suggestions you have for starting your kids into archery. What age? What type of equipment first? What are some things that worked well for you? What didn't work? How did you keep it fun and safe? I have 3boys 4,3 and 3 months. They really want to shoot with me, but have trouble even with the suction cup bows. Are there any good teaching resources or videos they could watch?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Martin makes a split riser bow for 3 to 5 year olds so it is very safe. The arrow can not come off. Best to shoot feathers out of it. It adjust a small amount on pull. They are about $50.

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. I'll try it out.

I have some pictures of me with my bow from before I started school so I guess my dad had me shooting at about 4.

Grumman

WKR
I got my boy started at 4 with a mini-Genesis. That is a great starter bow for when they grow up into the full size Genesis for the NASP programs. Don't forget to check eye dominance though. I found out the hard way my boy was right handed but very strongly left eye dominant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girl started at 5 with a diamond nuclear ice. Id blow up ballons and let her pop them at close range then started making them smaller and backing her up.
ff9384053e57c6a4c3c6dc8526097cd3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Start them as early as you can.

I made the mistake of listening to my wife and started my kids later at 12...by then they were more into playing with their friends.

Kids imprint very early. My buddy was kicking the soccer bll with his kid as soon as he could walk...the kid is a soccer nut and just got a scholarship to Holy Names. I read to both of my kids since born, every night...now they are both good students and voracious readers.
Start early....and make it fun with little instruction.

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. Sounds like good advice. I sometimes struggle with putting to much emphasis on learning and not enough on fun.

The other day I was shooting with my 5 year old and my 2 year old wanted to shoot. We have a $20 string bow and let him fire some arrows down range so I don't think you can start them to early. AT that age it is just the cool factor that they can launch and arrow and they are doing what their dad and brother are doing. I would say it is not until about 5 when they get that they need to practice to get better at hitting the target. Also I don't push them if they want to just shoot a dozen arrows and then play kick ball that is good too.

I'm having a blast shooting with my 4yo daughter. I went with 3 Rivers Archery Pilgrim Youth Longbow (Squirt model 10-12#). She loves it and I'm very impressed with the quality. Now she has me out shooting traditional more than ever. A great joy of fatherhood.

Got my daughter a little recurve for her birthday. 3 years old. While I'm having a hard time trying to teach her how to hold the bow and aim she loves launching arrow towards the target. Every time I shoot she wants to as well. She is wondering when she is going to get a Rifle her size bow. Kids are Gun. Start them young let them have fun.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

My daughter is 3 and has a recurve she has started shooting here lately. She just does it for a short time and then off to something else but its good quality time and keeps her interested.

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Nice pics. Awesome seeing kids enjoying archery.

jmez

WKR
Mine started at 3 with toy bows, NXT generation I think? Then moved to a recurve at 4-5. Compound at 6. I don't push or force them at all. If they ask to shoot I let them. Biggest problem is they only want to shoot when they see you shooting. That means you need to put your stuff down and help them rather than shooting.

My oldest was 1.5 when he started. I bought him a little cartel fiber glass bow and zipped tied a whisker biscuit to it. Work real well and passed it on to a friend.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I started my son at 3 with a diamond atomic compound. He is now 5 and shoots it very well. My daughter is 3 and she wants a "real" bow really bad. I will probably get her one later this year.

vlad

Banned
this is so cool, that little blonde girl seem to be doing well. i bet she got a good teacher, my son is only 3 and i cant wait till we try this together.