Howa 1500 Build... or Overbuild?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We offer our Element chassis for the Howa SA. The anodized coating can be BEAT and it holds up pretty darn well! I think that with the rifles offered in todays day and age you can always upgrade them and have a great rifle! My buddy shoots a Howa 308 6 days a week and then brings out his custom rifle for PRS matches. Both rifles shoot the exact same on paper at 100 but the custom just functions smoother. If you are going to beat it up stick with the Howa and don't worry about the scratches! Its still a tool so you might as well use it like one!

I’d thread your bbl if it’s not already. And drop it in a better take off stock B&C etc.

OP
B

BSR

FNG
Currently shopping for a stock for my long action 1500. Just found the VG2 due to your comment. If I'm going to use a Proof Research CF barrel on the build what barrel profile do I chose?
Thanks,
Brian
Hey Brian,

I’ve had the VG2 on the rifle for a few months now, it is holding up well and is certainly a lightweight option. As far as barrel contour choice, I would run that by stockys to be sure. I can tell you that I had some fitting I had to do on mine, which had the stock varmint contour barrel from Howa. Main areas being barrel contact within the first 3" from the action. My guess would be that the Sendero light profile would fit better, but again I would run that by Stocky's. I also had more fitting work around the trigger as I had swapped for a Timney.

One other thing I will mention, fit and finish of the VG2 leave a little to be desired. The two "shells" where the molds come together show a bit of a line at the cheek weld area, nothing that cause any felt discomfort, but it is noticeable. There are also some spots where you can see some areas did not fill completely with carbon. Don't get me wrong, I like the stock, but I have an AG composites on another rifle, and the finish of the AG is far superior to that of the VG2.

I can try and take some photo's and attach if you are interested in seeing.

Thanks

Clayton

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Currently shopping for a stock for my long action 1500. Just found the VG2 due to your comment. If I'm going to use a Proof Research CF barrel on the build what barrel profile do I chose?
Thanks,
Brian
I have one on a Remington 700 long action varmit contour, howa short action with sporter barrel, howa/weatherby sendero contour with a pre fit barrel, only fitting I had to to was sand where the safety goes forward because it wasn’t engaging enough to take off safety. I lightly sanded added grip texture and then painted. They are All awesome and I like how all my guns now are pretty much clones of each other. I added Mathews fabrication Cheek risers. All three stocks I bought as blemishes.

Attachments

• D0C08DE6-BD16-4CAF-A96F-1306AA39BB01.jpeg
    D0C08DE6-BD16-4CAF-A96F-1306AA39BB01.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 24

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
I have one on a Remington 700 long action varmit contour, howa short action with sporter barrel, howa/weatherby sendero contour with a pre fit barrel, only fitting I had to to was sand where the safety goes forward because it wasn’t engaging enough to take off safety. I lightly sanded added grip texture and then painted. They are All awesome and I like how all my guns now are pretty much clones of each other. I added Mathews fabrication Cheek risers. All three stocks I bought as blemishes.
What did you use for grip texture?

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Brian,

I’ve had the VG2 on the rifle for a few months now, it is holding up well and is certainly a lightweight option. As far as barrel contour choice, I would run that by stockys to be sure. I can tell you that I had some fitting I had to do on mine, which had the stock varmint contour barrel from Howa. Main areas being barrel contact within the first 3" from the action. My guess would be that the Sendero light profile would fit better, but again I would run that by Stocky's. I also had more fitting work around the trigger as I had swapped for a Timney.

One other thing I will mention, fit and finish of the VG2 leave a little to be desired. The two "shells" where the molds come together show a bit of a line at the cheek weld area, nothing that cause any felt discomfort, but it is noticeable. There are also some spots where you can see some areas did not fill completely with carbon. Don't get me wrong, I like the stock, but I have an AG composites on another rifle, and the finish of the AG is far superior to that of the VG2.

I can try and take some photo's and attach if you are interested in seeing.

Thanks

Clayton
Yes please. It's going to be a working rifle, most likely with a rattle can "finish", so I'm not overly concerned with cosmetics if it works well for my needs.
Thanks,
Brian.