Howa 1500 factory carbon barrel

tdhanses

WKR
I love my Howa, yes it isn’t the same thing as my custom but they don’t get the press they should like Tikka, yes They weigh a little more but they shoot great. So while I was wasting time at scheels going through the reloading isle since that’s what it’s down to I decide to walk over to the guns.

Now I haven’t been keeping up on rifles but man is this thing sexy and feels so much better then the Savage ultralight they also had, which costs about $200 more then the Howa at Scheels.

If I didn’t already have a semi custom Howa 6.5cm I may of come home with this today.

Anyone know who makes the barrel for them?

D9288022-6B4E-49CB-BF8A-4655FFAD170A.jpeg

chefcreed

FNG
Howa fan as well. Handled one in 6.5 Creedmoor at LGS 2 weeks ago. Felt great and thinking about it since. I’d like to hear some feedback on the barrels after some use. Brownells sent an email out that they will have CF barrel actions on order, I think around $999.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Howa fan as well. Handled one in 6.5 Creedmoor at LGS 2 weeks ago. Felt great and thinking about it since. I’d like to hear some feedback on the barrels after some use. Brownells sent an email out that they will have CF barrel actions on order, I think around $999.
Local GS has them for $1083, not sure a barreled action is worth it the HS stocks seemed quality.

Hunter270

FNG
Bump for this thread.
I’m also interested in this Howa rifle. I can’t seem to find any reviews on it online or specs really. Do we know what this weighs in. 6.5 Creedmoor?

chefcreed

FNG
Bump for this thread.
I’m also interested in this Howa rifle. I can’t seem to find any reviews on it online or specs really. Do we know what this weighs in. 6.5 Creedmoor?
Look up the Legacy Sports Int 2020 catalog. I am pretty sure they are in there with specs. It’s not a lightweight backcountry gun, if remember correctly, buy felt pretty light to me when I held one.

hlet007

FNG
I recently got a Howa 1500 carbon fiber in 6.5 prc. From everything Ive heard and read Howa is making their own carbon barrels in house. I've had great experiences in the past with Howa 1500 and Vanguard rifles. This one not so much. I tried a couple different brands of ammo and cant get anything to group under 1.8 inches, most groups were 2.2-2.8. I had a look at the muzzle crown with my bore scope and looks pretty bad. I reached out to Legacy sports, waiting to hear back.2FBAC03E-F1A5-493D-BC89-58DC4227E6E1.jpegE0BAE8F6-B7E8-400D-85BE-3DCEC0FCB0A4.jpeg70A202C4-D03C-41C4-8F17-02EF7715FD90.jpeg

49ereric

WKR
I like Howa as well but just steel barrels. Bought 2 rifles for the grandkids years ago in.308win.
Picked 2 more heavy 20” barreled rifles .308win later on.
son in law fell in love with one 😂

hlet007

FNG
Dang! Hope they take care of you. That thing is rough!
Thanks! So far the interactions I've had with the warranty reps have not been confidence inspiring. I have a feeling I'll be paying my local rifle smith to repair this.

49ereric

WKR
Thanks! So far the interactions I've had with the warranty reps have not been confidence inspiring. I have a feeling I'll be paying my local rifle smith to repair this.
If it is the crown you can try a repair yourself in most cases and if no luck then a gunsmith. Google search will provide answers From a brass screw on a drill with fine polishing compound. I used a round edged stone in a drill on a muzzle loader and came out fine.

hlet007

FNG
If it is the crown you can try a repair yourself in most cases and if no luck then a gunsmith. Google search will provide answers From a brass screw on a drill with fine polishing compound. I used a round edged stone in a drill on a muzzle loader and came out fine.
Thanks for this. I’ve been researching online today on lapping tools and crown cutting tools. I found a brass 45 degree lapping bit, gonna give that a whirl and if it still shoots poorly I’ll bring it to my local gunsmith. I had a chat earlier today with the shop that does Warranty work for Howa here in Canada. He said they’re super back logged and wouldn’t be able to look at it for 2 months. He suggested the same, trying to lap it myself. He said I can’t screw it up worse then it already is and he wouldn’t hold it against me as far as the warranty goes if it still doesn’t shoot well.