Howa Builds

Bbell12

WKR
Just finished putting together a Howa 1500 build and was wondering if anyone one else was using this platform to build off of as well. Am thinking of using the 1500 action for a future 300 PRC mountain rifle so I’d like to see some semi-custom builds and here some feedback on how you like them.

Here’s mine, will post groupings when I get to the range next weekend:

Howa 1500 short action in .204 Ruger
Heavy barrel contour cut to 20”
KRG Bravo chassis
Deadair Sandman Ti
Talley pic rail with Vortex tactical rings
Primary Arms 4-16x44
Burnt bronze cerakote finish

DC253F3D-D828-483F-ADE6-4DD6E0207197.jpeg

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm patiently waiting for the .300 blk barreled miniaction to reappear at Brownells (can't find any other sellers), have it trimmed back and dropped in a JTAC chassis. Throw whatever leftover scope is closest to the safe door and have a knockaround ranch gun for sub-200 yard hog shots.

dkime

WKR
Fell victim to the brownells sale a few years ago and built this rifle from it. Ended up swapping over to a Preferred barrel blank 22” 300WM and it shoots extremely well. I’m selling it now to fund the next rifle project but this setup has been great for the last few years.

d8e8ac9890bf26f5e5ae3fb24c58b0b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What stock is that and what does it weigh. I got a 6.5 creed that I won at a DU event and would love to lighten it up some.
KRG Bravo I’m guessing around 15 pounds(whole rifle). I would also look at the orxyx chassis. The ergos are great on the bravo but the way the front action screws attaches isnt the best

I built this rifle off a Howa 1500. It’s a 204 Ruger with a 27” Krieger, Timney trigger and Manners stock. After all the issues I had with it, I won’t use the action for any more builds but at the end of the day, it turned into a good rifle

Attachments

• B746D1FF-C119-4FA9-8EEB-E0E98423A705.jpeg
    B746D1FF-C119-4FA9-8EEB-E0E98423A705.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
OP
Bbell12

Bbell12

WKR
I built this rifle off a Howa 1500. It’s a 204 Ruger with a 27” Krieger, Timney trigger and Manners stock. After all the issues I had with it, I won’t use the action for any more builds but at the end of the day, it turned into a good rifle
What kind of issues did you have with it?

What kind of issues did you have with it?
It was a .204 originally and with factory ammo sometimes the firing pin would blow through the primers. I didn't like the rifle as I purchased it so decided to re-barrel and dress it up and then I started reloading. Took it to a couple of gunsmiths who didn't know what the deal was so I replaced the firing pin and spring and that fixed it but Howa doesn't selll just firing pins and springs, they seemed confused about the whole thing although they did try to help me out. I was eventually able to get a new firing pin and spring but I had a very hard time finding custom parts for this rifle also, there's really not much out there. There are much much better options to build off of.

OP
Bbell12

Bbell12

WKR
It was a .204 originally and with factory ammo sometimes the firing pin would blow through the primers. I didn't like the rifle as I purchased it so decided to re-barrel and dress it up and then I started reloading. Took it to a couple of gunsmiths who didn't know what the deal was so I replaced the firing pin and spring and that fixed it but Howa doesn't selll just firing pins and springs, they seemed confused about the whole thing although they did try to help me out. I was eventually able to get a new firing pin and spring but I had a very hard time finding custom parts for this rifle also, there's really not much out there. There are much much better options to build off of.
Weird, never heard of that happening. Glad you got it fixed though.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my Howa Mini .223, I hate the original stock these come with so for now I have bedded it in to a Remington Model 7 stock until I have saved up enough for a carbon stock along with a lighter suppressor and something along the lines of a 2.5-8x36 scope 🤔

Even still, it's only around 6.5lb as it is with a stainless steel suppressor and heavy 3-12x44 scope.

20220403_124544.jpg

Here's my Howa Mini .223, I hate the original stock these come with so for now I have bedded it in to a Remington Model 7 stock until I have saved up enough for a carbon stock along with a lighter suppressor and something along the lines of a 2.5-8x36 scope

Even still, it's only around 6.5lb as it is with a stainless steel suppressor and heavy 3-12x44 scope.

View attachment 465567

Where did you get the stainless mini? What bottom metal is that? Good looking rifle. Now that stockys is offering their Carbon VG stock at 20oz I’m looking at doing a shorty mini in either 223 or 6mm ARC

Unckebob

WKR
Fell victim to the brownells sale a few years ago and built this rifle from it. Ended up swapping over to a Preferred barrel blank 22” 300WM and it shoots extremely well. I’m selling it now to fund the next rifle project but this setup has been great for the last few years.

d8e8ac9890bf26f5e5ae3fb24c58b0b6.jpg

Can Howa's take pre-fit barrels?

NV HUNTER

WKR

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you get the stainless mini? What bottom metal is that? Good looking rifle. Now that stockys is offering their Carbon VG stock at 20oz I’m looking at doing a shorty mini in either 223 or 6mm ARC

Thanks, it's far and away my favourite rifle to use.
I'm in New Zealand, here it's easier to find stainless minis than blued.
Unfortunately our exchange rate sucks or else I'd be buying one of those Stockys carbon stocks asap.

the bottom metal is just a cut down 10 round mag that I did here