Howa Carbon Stalker

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any more information on these rifles? Howa doesnt have any weight listed. They look pretty nice and was considering getting one in 270win. Stock feels nice and feels quite a bit lighter than other Howas. I am looking to upgrade and go with a lighter rifle than my current Savage in 270. Was also considering a Tikka Roughtech as a local store has one in stock or possibly a superlight if I can find one. Was originally planning on getting a rifle in 280ai but components and dies are unobtainable.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Howa does state the mini action is under 5lb, but data on the other action sizes is scant. Outdoor Life just did a mini review of one in 6.5 Creedmoor. They report 6.2lb for the short action so the long action should be several ounces heavier.

Just heard of these the other day, the Grendel in the mini action is aweful tempting at under 5 lbs. Does the stock feel pretty stiff or is it a flexible piece of Tupperware?

OP
S

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
The stock definitely feels stiffer to me than cheap polymer stocks. Only thing I dont really like is the glossy/smooth finish.

OP
S

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
Looking into the stock on the Howa. Looks like Stocky's uses a composite version of their accublock bedding block. Anyone familiar with Stocky's or their latest carbon fiber stocks? Im curious what the durability of the composite accublock would be.

First time I hear of it, but it’s interestiing me for SA in 6.5 creed. I ordered mini action 6.5 grendel from Oregun. He will chop down barrel to 16”. Install his bottom metal, I hate howa mini plastic bottom with mag. And drop in to his carbon fiber stock that weigh 18 oz. rifle should weigh around 4.5lb or less.

First time I hear of it, but it’s interestiing me for SA in 6.5 creed. I ordered mini action 6.5 grendel from Oregun. He will chop down barrel to 16”. Install his bottom metal, I hate howa mini plastic bottom with mag. And drop in to his carbon fiber stock that weigh 18 oz. rifle should weigh around 4.5lb or less.
Any update on that rifle build? I’m stuck on the CZ527 but at 4.5lbs I could be convinced to go a different route…

Any update on that rifle build? I’m stuck on the CZ527 but at 4.5lbs I could be convinced to go a different route…
Rifle was ship out last Friday I should receive it in few days. I added epoxy bedding and cerakote everything except stock so it did add more weight. Per Oregun rifle now weight 4lb 11 oz. When it arrives I weigh it on my kitchen scale too.

@DoubleDown any update on the Grendel? Speed, accuracy? How do you like the new bottom metal?
Honestly can be a little better for 1300$ rifle. On certified scale weigh couple once more that I been told. With red dot sling and ammo weigh 5lb 4oz. Average speed with 123 ELDM 2200 fps. Accuracy with scope 1.5”, and with red dot I still able to ring 6” plate at 200 yards. Bottom metal is questionable do to release bottom located front of trigger guard, and latch grabbing little piece of plate. Personally I’ll use electrical tape to secure it for situational where I can caught against tree branches.

HAMHunter

FNG
I didn't realize this was a forum topic but have a SS 1500 I picked up and have been looking to restock all summer. Discovered the Carbon Stalker and "Stocky's" ref in description @ Sportsmans. I have other Stockys stocks on hunting use rifles and they have performed similar to my B & C's. Still not 100% on HS Prec stock due to their 'spokesman'. Long story short Stocky's won't sell the carbon stalker for Howa/Weatherby S/A "stock only" until some undetermined future date. It is available only through Howa USA as a complete package. I had a lengthy email exchange with them just early Sept. Sooo a B & C is looking likely down the road unless someone else introduces something new. I'm taking it out to punch an AZ cow tag Oct 15th so probably not messing with it till the springtime.