Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel w/modified stock

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
There has been some talk the last year or so on the Howa Mini actions, especially in 6.5 Grendel. I didn't really pay attention to them because really the only time I had messed with 6.5G was nearly a decade ago when it was brand new. Fast forward to a month ago and finding out that Factory loaded Hornady Match ammo is readily available for $20-25 a box, and Whittaker's have a sale on the Howa Mini I ordered one in a sleep deprived stupor.

Anyways, it arrived.

SWFA SS 3-9x42mm
Burris XTR Pic bases
Seekins Low 30mm rings

After I did the usual setup- 7lbs 4.9oz.

Two stage trigger is pretty good, Hogue style stock is out of control for the little gun, and while the mag system is kind of chintzy it worked. Went to the range to make sure it shot and even with the stock touching the barrel on the left hand side, it still shot solid with 10 rounds of Hornady Black 123gr ELD-M-

Two things were immeadiay apparent... the stock needed som serious work and the mag latch needed shortening. Remembered that Mtnboomer on 24hourcampfire did some stock work before, so contacted him and got it sent off.

Took a knife to the mag release lever as just holding the gun would drop the mag.

A couple of cuts later and we're golden-

Now it takes a positive effort to release the mag.

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Con't.......

After a week or so the stock showed up from Mtnboomer.

Compared to a Howa Alpine-

No comparison to the fat POS that came on it- he did a great job and it lost some weight-

Con't.....

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
After the stock mod, hit the range to check zero and velocity.

Still shoots fine- 1.2-1.3moa for 10 rounds...

Made a down .1, and right .1mil adjustment, and slipped turrets.

No chrono, the box said 2,590fps. If you are trueing velocity, you want to do it just before transonic range- right at 1,340fps or so. Put it into Shooter, and 1,340fps was right at 860yds. Hanging the target at 860 wasn't going to work as there is a ditch. 820 yards would, and that put it at 1,384fps or so.

Had a 2-4mph, 4-8 o'clock switching tail wind, predominantly from left to right however. Dialed left .3 and held on the water line. First shot was just off the right edge, read it in the reticle as .5, dialed it for a total of left .8 and five more rounds-

1.5moa. Mostly horizontal, with 8.75" vertical. Split the waterline, velocity was right on.

Final result- it's a fun gun. Right at 7lbs with a bombproof mounting system and scope, $20 box ammo, light recoil and compact. We'll see if an elk will hold a bullet for me.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome review. I am a long time Grendel fan. I have found the 123gr sst to be a great deer bullet. I'm interested to hear how it works on elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Here is is lightweight version. It had the 20" pencil barrel with a stock I cut down and trimmed up (took about 2 inches out of the fore end, plus trimming elsewhere).

I think the loaded ready to go weight was around 6lbs 4oz's, that's with a full mag. It was pretty swell out to 400 with the lr duplex reticle. There are of course much better options, but I wanted cheap and light.

Alas, it went down the river...

20170412_105035.jpg

Last edited:

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Have wondered about these, i had the 6.5 grendel, but then had a 22 grendel made and glad i did, can run the heavier bullets out where they should be and in an AR magazine. I have thought about the 22 grendel in the howa mini though for a calling gun

Absolutley love the howa 6.5 mini.. it is a tack driver! taken quite a few blacktail with it this year. Its my go to.. super light, works well handles SE Alaska terrain just fine.. Until Barrett or Kimber make a 6.5 mini, this thing is money well spent.

chefcreed

FNG
Looks great! Love my Howa Mini...Anybody here rebarreled a Howa Mini? Mine has the #1 barrel. Suppressor in jail so looking to get a 18” ish medium weight barrel.

The problem is that Howa seems to have dropped the lightweight 22” sporter barrel in favor of a 20” heavy profile barrel. I was hoping they would go with a 20” lightweight barrel option, but so far no go. The heavy barrel makes the rifle too heavy up front for the kids to use and lessens its appeal as a lightweight carrying rifle. I guess everything has to be tactical now. Sad.

chefcreed

FNG
They did drop the 20” #1 barrel. The 2020 Legacy Sports Catalog lists the 22” sporter and the 20” Heavy. The #1 is really light. Took me a few rounds to get used to it from a stability standpoint. Now a 20” sporter would be perfect.

The problem is that Howa seems to have dropped the lightweight 22” sporter barrel in favor of a 20” heavy profile barrel. I was hoping they would go with a 20” lightweight barrel option, but so far no go. The heavy barrel makes the rifle too heavy up front for the kids to use and lessens its appeal as a lightweight carrying rifle. I guess everything has to be tactical now. Sad.
Glad I got a lightweight 20" barrel in my 7.62x39 mini while I could!

hmmm... i wonder what barrel I have. bought it in 2017. is there any marking difference between the lightweight barrel and the regular one?

chefcreed

FNG
hmmm... i wonder what barrel I have. bought it in 2017. is there any marking difference between the lightweight barrel and the regular one?
I looked into it a while back to see if I could cut and thread and found measurements in 2017 catalog. This isn’t exact but the #1 muzzle diameter was around .5+ and the #2 was .7+, the #6 is .8.
one thing to consider is that the pencil barrel heats up very fast. While pretty accurate it starts walking a bit after 3 shots. If just hunting it’s great but not a range toy.