Howa Superlite

Tmac

WKR
I like the Howa trigger! It might take a bit of getting used to but it’s much better than most factory guns.
I like mine too, on the mini action. My older 1500 does not have the same trigger, it is a marginal single stage trigger. The newer HACT with the two stage design, has take up for the first stage, then ends with a creep free second stage on my mini-action. Some confuse the first stage of that trigger with creep, it’s actually not. By definition one could really only have creep on the second stage, not the first…

I handled at howa mini carbon stalker at the gun shop the other day it it was incredibly handy. I’ve read they will be releasing them in 6mm ARC and I will be getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello , did u happen to check magazine capacity? I can’t find it in there specs. Hopefully 3 . Thanks

Tahoe1305

WKR
No just held it for a minute or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fwiw my buddy just got one in the Grendel. Barrel didn’t come threaded. Sent it back to howa and they replaced. Final weight came in a bit over advertised for the mini actions. 5lbs with mag. I believe mag added 2oz so still a tad off if their figures didn’t include that.

Still a neat setup.

Attachments

• A535B108-5356-4FF8-8102-26FD74B91136.jpeg
    A535B108-5356-4FF8-8102-26FD74B91136.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124

ElPollo

WKR
The mini actions carbon stalkers and the superlight are two different guns with different actions and different barrels. Superlights have a 20” threaded barrel while the carbon stalker has a 20” non-threaded barrel. I agree all of them should be threaded, and I wouldn’t be butt-hurt if they were shorter than 20”.

Also, good info on the weight for the Grendel mini action gun. That is 6 oz over their advertised weight, but it’s still a really light gun. It would be interesting to know how close the superlight comes to their 4# 7 oz figure. I’ve been eying these superlights as a possible alternative to a Kimber.

Tahoe1305

WKR
The mini actions carbon stalkers and the superlight are two different guns with different actions and different barrels. Superlights have a 20” threaded barrel while the carbon stalker has a 20” non-threaded barrel. I agree all of them should be threaded, and I wouldn’t be butt-hurt if they were shorter than 20”.

Also, good info on the weight for the Grendel mini action gun. That is 6 oz over their advertised weight, but it’s still a really light gun. It would be interesting to know how close the superlight comes to their 4# 7 oz figure. I’ve been eying these superlights as a possible alternative to a Kimber.
Nice. Apologies. Funny they sent him a threaded one still.

OXN939

WKR
First impression, awesome! Very light, great trigger, great fit and finish. Getting it Cerakoted next week and getting some glass on it soon. Will update once I shoot it.

Man that's high speed. I have an Alpine in .243 and I'm really trying to convince myself of how redundant a Superlight would be... any range reports?

Weldor

WKR
Range report? How's the recoil being that light? I shoot a Sig cross 6 1/2 Lbs. With glass ,suppressed at a light 8 lbs. 308 . Recoil very minimal. Curious about the Howa.

I just bought one of these in 6.5 creedmoor. If any of you have any questions let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them.

A few things off the top. My 6.5cm weighed in at 4lbs 13oz. I assume the 308 version would be a little lighter since it’s got a bigger hole in the barrel but still a little disappointing that it was 6oz off the listed weight when the primary selling point of the rifle is weight. Nowhere does it say the 6.5cm weighs more than the 308 in the howa advertisements.

To be brutally honest I was a little disappointed with the rifle upon initial inspection. I incorrectly assumed the stock would be painted carbon fiber, but it is just an extremely cheap feeling plastic. The barrel was not free floated with the stock touching the barrel in multiple places and the barrel was slightly off center of the barrel channel. The stock is very lacking in rigidity and even slight pressure on the forend causes barrel contact even after I sanded out the channel to get the barrel free floated. The bottom “metal” is all plastic that feels very breakable. It has no pillars or any sort of reinforcement for the action screws.

One other downside I ran into is the scope rail it comes with it unnecessarily tall. Even with low rings it holds my 3.5-10x40 Leupold WAY too high. I was going to need to add a cheek riser to get a good cheek weld on the stock if I used the factory picatinny scope mount. No scope mount manufaturer that I was able to find makes any other mounts for it. I ended up buying a set of Talley lightweight low mounts for a regular 1500 and modifying the rear mount by cutting it shorter and milling a new screw hole due to the smaller .500” rear screw spacing on this modified action.

With my modified low 30mm Talley lightweight scope mounts, a leupold vx-3hd 3.5-10x40 firedot, and an empty mag the gun weighs in at 5lbs 15oz. Even though the bare gun weight was a little disappointing I am pretty happy with that total weight including the scope.

I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet and probably won’t for another couple weeks, but if it shoots decent I’ll keep it. I’ll try to update this thread with a range report when I get a chance to shoot it.

In conclusion I have to admit that I don’t feel this rifle is worth anywhere near its price tag. The fit and finish of this gun is MUCH closer to a savage axis or ruger American than it is to one of the kimber ultralights. I understand things like not using metal for the trigger guard to save weight, but even the plastic there has sharp edges and mould flashing that wasn’t cleaned off. I would feel much more justified in the price tag if it had a more rigid stock, the one it comes with is just unforgivable on a $1k+ rifle.

Using my Hornady OAL guage with a 143gr ELD-X I get a max OAL of 2.905 with the bullet touching the lands.