Hows your FL gear holding up?

rdurning

FNG
Hello and happy 4th,
I just Joined and was looking to get a whole new camo system and was between FL and Sitka. After reading a lot on here it seems that FL may fit me better for Oklahoma Deer, waterfowl, and western hunting, but I have seen some reviews of the gear not holding up well. I was wondering how your gear was holding to abuse or if you recommend something over FL.

Thank you

I wear FL baselayers which have held up very well. The problems you speak of may have been before FL added more synthetic to their wool baselayers. However, some are still 100% wool. It’s just the nature of soft, wool fabric. As for the outerlayers, I really cannot speak to that, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an outer layer piece I needed, considering the FL warranty.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My kanabs blew up. Apart from that everything has done fine. I have and wear more Sitka at this point but don’t think you can go wrong with either. Spot on that the sitka brands itself as more specialized however, I have worn there subalpine and open country stuff for all kinds of hunting from deer to turkey to duck to pheasant.

Anozira

WKR
All of my FL gear has held up well despite being rough on it. The only problem I’ve had is I ripped my uncompahgre blazing through a thick cut of nasty cats claw. Not the jackets fault though.

colersu22

WKR
I have had good luck with everything for the most part besides ripping the crotch out of 2 pairs of kanab 2.0 one pair I sent in and they sent me a brand new pair, the other already had a big rip in the shin area from catching a stick that I sewed up and then the crotch ripped when I was in Idaho last year and I just tossed them. I like the fit of the kanab 2.0 better than the obsidians but I emailed first lite and they slimmed down the fit of the obsidians this year to be closer to the kanab 2.0 so I will pick up another pair.

Both sets I ripped had well over 100 days in the woods each between hiking/scouting and hunting use

OP
R

rdurning

FNG
colersu22 how have the obsidian done since they are wool? the catalyst seem like a good tree stand pant for early archery. But I was looking at the obsidians and the new Sawbuck pant looks really tough, just dont know how loud it would be for stalking.

colersu22

WKR
colersu22 how have the obsidian done since they are wool? the catalyst seem like a good tree stand pant for early archery. But I was looking at the obsidians and the new Sawbuck pant looks really tough, just dont know how loud it would be for stalking.

I have only wore the obsidians for about 20 days or so but they are holding up good, I am not a fan of how baggy they are compared to the kanab or kanab 2.0 so I wore the kanabs most the time. I did pick up a pair of sawbucks but haven’t worn them outside yet just tried them on to make sure the fit was good. I plan on giving them a test tomorrow on a scouting trip and will probably get about 10 miles or so and it’s supposed to be between 50-75 degrees so I’ll see how they do. I am hoping they will hold up better to stickers than the kanabs or obsidians when stickers catch them.

OP
R

rdurning

FNG
Everyone also seems to rave about the
I have only wore the obsidians for about 20 days or so but they are holding up good, I am not a fan of how baggy they are compared to the kanab or kanab 2.0 so I wore the kanabs most the time. I did pick up a pair of sawbucks but haven’t worn them outside yet just tried them on to make sure the fit was good. I plan on giving them a test tomorrow on a scouting trip and will probably get about 10 miles or so and it’s supposed to be between 50-75 degrees so I’ll see how they do. I am hoping they will hold up better to stickers than the kanabs or obsidians when stickers catch them.
Ok thank you!

I’ve had tons of durability problems with FL. Really wanted to love it, and still use their base layers, but have had to send 4-5 pieces back for warranty problems and another 2-3 they wouldn’t cover. Mainly stuff opening at seams, wool seperating, pockets ripping off. Been slowly swapping to Kuiu and Sitka, other than base layers. Also believe their mid/outer layers don’t compare to Kuiu/Sitka, just not as many options.

OP
R

rdurning

FNG
I’ve had tons of durability problems with FL. Really wanted to love it, and still use their base layers, but have had to send 4-5 pieces back for warranty problems and another 2-3 they wouldn’t cover. Mainly stuff opening at seams, wool seperating, pockets ripping off. Been slowly swapping to Kuiu and Sitka, other than base layers. Also believe their mid/outer layers don’t compare to Kuiu/Sitka, just not as many options.
I have seen alot of good things about kuius pants with durability and those hip zips are money. Do you feel like the sitka stuff stops wind better. I know they use the wind-stopper laminate and kuiu stuff is focused on weight reduction and the first lite is based on merino which isnt very strong..... too many options

I have seen alot of good things about kuius pants with durability and those hip zips are money. Do you feel like the sitka stuff stops wind better. I know they use the wind-stopper laminate and kuiu stuff is focused on weight reduction and the first lite is based on merino which isnt very strong..... too many options
Haha too many options is a good thing to have! Drives innovation/competition! I’m liking Kuiu generally over Sitka and FL, especially on pants and outer layers. That being said, just as many people would tell you otherwise. I don’t think you could go wrong. I typically run FL base layers, a mix of Kuiu/Sitka mid layers, and Kuiu outers. I will say Kuiu probably isn’t the best for whitetail, they do have a few warm insulating pieces but generally it’s for active mountain hunting. Sitka definitely leads the way on whitetail gear out of the three. I’d mix and match, not worry to much about brands, just get a kit that works for you.

LJ Buck

WKR
Most people complain about issues with FL and it is to do with the Merino, well it doesn’t matter who makes it merino wool will have durability issues if you are hard on it. If you want all the benefits of Merino then you have to put up with what the fabrics limits are.

Comparing the FL obsidian pant and any Sitka or Kuiu pant is not apple to apples. Wool pant vs synthetics.

My experience is I have blown the crotch out of more Kuiu and FL pants then Sitka. But don’t be wrong if you hunt hard seems will come lose you n all of them.

Overall for durability goes to Sitka then FL. I don’t wear much Kuiu anymore.

Best way to build a system is to mix and match.

OP
R

rdurning

FNG
Most people complain about issues with FL and it is to do with the Merino, well it doesn’t matter who makes it merino wool will have durability issues if you are hard on it. If you want all the benefits of Merino then you have to put up with what the fabrics limits are.

Comparing the FL obsidian pant and any Sitka or Kuiu pant is not apple to apples. Wool pant vs synthetics.

My experience is I have blown the crotch out of more Kuiu and FL pants then Sitka. But don’t be wrong if you hunt hard seems will come lose you n all of them.

Overall for durability goes to Sitka then FL. I don’t wear much Kuiu anymore.

Best way to build a system is to mix and match.
Very true. Just trying to see how people like there stuff. I don't want to buy new pants twice a year. Trying to weigh wool vs synthetics.
Thanks for your experience

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
As far as First lite goes the base layers have been good to me so far. If its warm out for the majority of your hunting I would get the corrugate pants and some aerowool base layers. You Mentioned catalist pants for early season tree stand and to me that's a horrible idea. Their fleece lined and I'd imagine you'll roast in them. I highly recommend calling first lite and telling them what type of hunting you plan on doing and they will make some suggestions. Every time I've called they were very honest with me as far as what products are right for my style of hunting. Even when it meant suggesting a less expensive option from them. They're always very helpful. Give them a call man.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Catahoula

WKR
I run all First Lite as does my spouse. From base layers to outer layers. Neither complaints nor are there any articles falling apart. Great products produced in my opinion.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My rain gear has held up just fine in my closet..........
But in all seriousness. There stretch belt is made from angel hair. It may not be a "gear utility belt" that all the "shoot me first" 5.11 tacticool pant wearing hang a truck off my belt crowd loves. But it is the perfect belt I have found. Tough enough to not roll over on itself but soft enough to wear under a pack belt or bird bag all day long. Just enough stretch and give to get nicely tight but not feel like a vise. I cant recommend it enough.

xcutter

WKR
Really like First Lite clothing but I've had some premature wear. I had a pair of Kanab 1.0's and blew the crotch out in less than a month. First Lite replaced with Kanab 2.0's. Had the crotch blow out in another pair or 1.0's later in the year but they had quite a bit of wear on them. My llano long sleeve and chama hoody have some small holes. I'm guessing from walking through briers. Corrugate guide pants are awesome and tough. They have held great and been through some nasty stuff. I would agree with posts above about them adding more synthetics into there products to counteract some issues with premature wear. Customer service is good in my opinion as they replaced those pants for me very easily.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lot of FL gear, I have a pair of 4 year old Kebabs that have had a few holes patched up. Holes from catching on something. I have a couple of older Red Desert boxer/briefs that the crotch shredded after a year or so. I have a Llano that had some mysterious holes show up in the sleeve. (Wife darned the holes shut &I still use it) I love the newer stuff & think they have improved quality significantly. I have switched to Kuiu pants & zip base layer bottoms. The SEAK rain gear has been tough as nails, I love the Uncompagre top & bottoms, the Klamath, Kiln & wick stuff are great!

Tempe.243

FNG
I have been rolling FL for three seasons (August/January archery and fall rifle). Was nervous about the Obsidians holding up, but after three seasons in the Tonto NF/Superstition Wilderness they have help up great. They have some pilling around the lower legs but between the barbed wire, catclaw and cholla that is to be expected. Same said for the the Aerowool baselayers. Breaths great in the Sonora Desert.