Hows your FL gear holding up?

nickstone

WKR
I purchased an Uncompahgre a few weeks ago that had an unfinished seam in the cuff. I noticed a pretty good sized hole in it the 3rd or 4th time I wore it.

I contacted First Lite and had to pay to ship it back to them.

They sent me a replacement jacket that had non functioning cordlocks.

Both were pretty minor issues, but it's ridiculous that they didn't catch them before they shipped them out.

I probably own 15 things from them. I think I have had 2 previous other warranty items- holes in a pair of allegeheny pants and also in a baselayer shirt.

After my latest email exchange with them and the fact that they would rather debate the definition of defective- as opposed to actually talking a look at their QC process, and doing something to correct their issues. ......I'm done with them.

To me they can share the "Best warranty you will always use" motto with vortex

With my kanab's the stretchy crotch has held up just fine and I'm still using them. I liked the pocket layout better on the Obsidians, but they replaced that spandex synthetic fabric with merino and it just wore through quickly. I had a tailor add some stretchy fabric to it to reinforce, but I don't how well that's going to stand up to lots of hiking.

I'm thinking of going back to Kuiu for pants at least because they just seem like they'll wear a lot harder.
Yea I’ve swapped to Kuiu pants and have had no issues. I do have a pair of corrugate guides that have had 3 hard seasons on them and holding up fine, but find myself liking the kuiu better still.

Wrench

WKR
I had a pair of obsidian that had the embroidery logo pull to shreds just hiking around the panhandle. It's not a functional disaster, but for the scratch I paid for them I expect better. ... but I'd buy again

I used the uncompahgre jacket for the first time this year, wore it 3-4 days total. No bushwhacking and was on horseback the entire time. Still ended up with half a dozen rips and tears. I haven't the slightest clue what could have done it other than my backpack or rifle sling. Disappointed in this item.

Buy individual pieces that fit what you want of them. Constraining yourself to one company for a camo "system" is a good way to waste money and not get exactly what you want. From what I've seen with first lite, I wouldn't buy their pants because of durability issues.

Wrench

WKR
A person has to think about application too....if you want to run through the brambles and brush unscathed, filson double tins are the ticket....but we're all looking for uber light weight and expecting miracles.

The only reason I'd expect a company to warranty a product against quick wear is because of the price point.

If I buy a $20 pair of wrangler outdoor pants, they owe me about 40 hours of service before I feel like they have earned their keep....but if I she'll out $200 for a pair of obsidian's they should be able to make it to the first washing before showing wear.

With that said, they all make a dud in the gross numbers of products they sell....and some products are just not as well engineered as others. I look at the corregate pants and love them in every way. I would kill to have the same thing in the obsidian material.....and I'd even pay a premium if you could sew a flag on the waist and lose the made in a third world country sticker.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
I have full set of outer layers and mid layers from kuiu and FL. I now, wear FL all the time, have sheep hunted, desert hunts for speed goats, high country mule hunts, and elk hunting archery and rifle. For me the fit and comfort are great in the conditions I have hunted in and have been very durable over the past 2-3 yrs I have been using FL. i prefer the fusion camo pattern to any kuiu pattern as well. That is just personal preference though.

I just need to get around to posting my KUIU stuff on here to sell.