Hows your FL gear holding up?

It's all about how tough you are with your gear. Some guys could tear up a tank in a month and others can drive a yugo trouble free for 20 years. I am puzzled how guys can bust the crotch out of pants, buying them too big and they sag then rip while climbing over stuff? Maybe buying too small? But then I'm one of those guys who can drive a yugo forever, get several years out of boots etc.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Before buying anything, I would listen to a couple of podcasts with John Barklow from Sitka. He did a couple of outstanding podcasts with Snyder (Kifarucast) as well as with Randy Newberg (cannot remember if it was Hunt Talk or Elk Talk) and even a couple of NockOn podcasts. Anyhow, even though he works for Sitka, the information about "building a system" is universal to whatever clothing you buy. A lot of people are "Sitka guys" or "First Lite" guys etc...I would recommend building a system that is custom tailored to what it is you are doing and how you will be applying it and dont care about the brand and/or mixing things up. Both companies have pieces that work better than others at times depending on application. Think about wool vs. synthetic, brush busting vs sitting in a treestand etc and how you will be utilizing your clothing. I have a hodgepodge of Sitka and Firstlite that I wear and feel 100% confident in the application and know how it will work when I go out into the field. In my opinion, you CANNOT go wrong with First Lite or Sitka. I have had both in miserable conditions and I honestly dont have one bad thing to say about either. Any type of failure/rip/tear has been a result of a situation that any hunting apparel would have failed (ie. miles of AZ catclaw that only thick carharts would have survived).

I feel like I have missed out over the years because I get excited and simply buy something that looks freaking awesome, but after a couple years looking back, I have only used the piece a couple of times because it just didnt really fit into the layering "system" that I run. Start with what will be touching your skin and then move out from there. It is all personal too. I run first lite baselayers from the waist down (boxers/leggings...a variety of thicknesses based off of where i will be going/what I will be doing) but run Sitka Ascent or Apex pants, a Sitka Core lightweight hoody, sitka midweight fleece as a second layer and then a uncompaghre jacket from FL that I love more than anything. I also have a flash pullover from Sitka in case of a downpour/intermittent weather. I do not run any real rain gear at this point as I have never hunted in an area or season that needs it.

Sorry for the long post, I just feel partial to people sticking with a specific company just for the sake of being a fill in the blank "guy" who has all matching camo. So much good clothing right now, especially with the two you are looking at, and if you can build something specific for you, it is even better. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
R

rdurning

FNG
Before buying anything, I would listen to a couple of podcasts with John Barklow from Sitka. He did a couple of outstanding podcasts with Snyder (Kifarucast) as well as with Randy Newberg (cannot remember if it was Hunt Talk or Elk Talk) and even a couple of NockOn podcasts. Anyhow, even though he works for Sitka, the information about "building a system" is universal to whatever clothing you buy. A lot of people are "Sitka guys" or "First Lite" guys etc...I would recommend building a system that is custom tailored to what it is you are doing and how you will be applying it and dont care about the brand and/or mixing things up. Both companies have pieces that work better than others at times depending on application. Think about wool vs. synthetic, brush busting vs sitting in a treestand etc and how you will be utilizing your clothing. I have a hodgepodge of Sitka and Firstlite that I wear and feel 100% confident in the application and know how it will work when I go out into the field. In my opinion, you CANNOT go wrong with First Lite or Sitka. I have had both in miserable conditions and I honestly dont have one bad thing to say about either. Any type of failure/rip/tear has been a result of a situation that any hunting apparel would have failed (ie. miles of AZ catclaw that only thick carharts would have survived).

I feel like I have missed out over the years because I get excited and simply buy something that looks freaking awesome, but after a couple years looking back, I have only used the piece a couple of times because it just didnt really fit into the layering "system" that I run. Start with what will be touching your skin and then move out from there. It is all personal too. I run first lite baselayers from the waist down (boxers/leggings...a variety of thicknesses based off of where i will be going/what I will be doing) but run Sitka Ascent or Apex pants, a Sitka Core lightweight hoody, sitka midweight fleece as a second layer and then a uncompaghre jacket from FL that I love more than anything. I also have a flash pullover from Sitka in case of a downpour/intermittent weather. I do not run any real rain gear at this point as I have never hunted in an area or season that needs it.

Sorry for the long post, I just feel partial to people sticking with a specific company just for the sake of being a fill in the blank "guy" who has all matching camo. So much good clothing right now, especially with the two you are looking at, and if you can build something specific for you, it is even better. Hope that helps.
Ok awesome thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! Ill have to listen to those podcasts.

My pants lasted about 4 hunts before the crotch blew out and my shirt lasted one season and a lot of the stitching was coming undone and the sleeves had holes in them by the wrist areas on both sides. I don’t think I’m hard on gear at all as I have had sportsman warehouse brand stuff hold up for years without any kind of issues. Thing that made me the most mad was when I called first lite and they nicely told me to piss off and a guy at s and s archery(who sold first lite at the time and who I bought it from) told me that’s the way most high end hunting clothes are and that they don’t wear it. Don’t know if it’s better anymore as this was about 6 years ago.

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
Like everyone has said so far, their base layers are money. My Obsidians were no match for AZ javelina, but that's on me. I just got the Sawbucks and did some rabbit hunting in some thick thorny stuff last week and they held up great. I remember thinking multiple times how my Obsidians would have been shredded. Their Uncompaghre puffy jacket is okay, the pants though are fantastic. Their camo patterns are the best out there IMO, but that's a fashion thing I guess? Who knows, maybe Kuiu's weird salsa verde pattern gets you closer to game.

OP
R

rdurning

FNG
Like everyone has said so far, their base layers are money. My Obsidians were no match for AZ javelina, but that's on me. I just got the Sawbucks and did some rabbit hunting in some thick thorny stuff last week and they held up great. I remember thinking multiple times how my Obsidians would have been shredded. Their Uncompaghre puffy jacket is okay, the pants though are fantastic. Their camo patterns are the best out there IMO, but that's a fashion thing I guess? Who knows, maybe Kuiu's weird salsa verde pattern gets you closer to game.
How loud are your sawbucks? could you use them for stalking?

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
They're not bad, obviously they make more noise than the wool blend Obsidians, but only when you're rubbing against brush. They're a good pant, you're just out on the pros of wool. It's a give and take. That's why I have both.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I'm curious about the 'blowing out the crotch' failure mode. Are we talking wearing through the fabric or the seams split? Tearing of the fabric?

sndmn11

WKR
I literally wear FL every day in some way, most days multiple pieces. Winter, Spring, Fall, I am wearing Corrugates to work and a part of my day is kneeling on concrete measuring and marking wall tents. I have some fabric piling, but nothing else. In the cooler months I wear the merino like a sweatshirt EVERYWHERE. I have some tenacious tape patched holes where I got caught on a corner of a jet cut steel business sign, one was from barbed wire, and the other from a bench vise. I wear this same stuff hunting. My Kanabs are pretty rad in the summer and bow season in the woods.

I have sent back several pairs of dobson and benmore boxers for the crotch material getting holes in it after a few months of wear and washing. Keep in mind that I wear them every day for everything just like normal undies. The Wick versions are doing much better.

I'm curious about the 'blowing out the crotch' failure mode. Are we talking wearing through the fabric or the seams split? Tearing of the fabric?
Went from a seated position glassing and stood up. The entire crotch just ripped about 4 inches. My buddy looked over and said wtf? He had issues on his stitching on his pants that year also, which First Lite warrantied. This was a few years back so maybe their stuff has gotten better, but I've moved on to Kuiu and Sitka and never had any issues. Been able to buy a lot of my Sitka and Kuiu 2nd hand and never had an issue. Not running First Lite down, just giving my experiences.

FL has a good assortment of clothing for different needs. I have the obsidian wool corrugate guide and catalyst pants. I have only worn the obsidians about 4-5 days total and already have torn on me. The wool is just not durable but the catalyst to me are pretty bullet proof. For the kind of hunting I do, I won;t be buying anymore Obsidian pants. Although they are very comfy to hunt in, you've gotta be careful what you crash through while wearing them.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
I was extremely disappointed in the SEAK Stormtight raingear. After 20 days of field use the DWR was non existent, pilling around the waist line, loose threads on the shins and tears in the fabric. The knees and seat would wet out then through in 30 minutes. Couldn’t get a warranty from them or even get them to look at the gear (offered to mail them in). I’m going full gore-Tex now for the warranty and guarantee.

ljalberta

WKR
I have the Unpronounceable Puffy. It’s holding up decent. A ton of pilling on the outside fabric though.

Chugaglug

FNG
I've beat the crap out of my Alturas pants and they keep impressing. took them through the SE Alaska ringer and they preformed flawlessly. took a slide off a cliff that left my leg bleeding but pants stayed intact. I have the old version of the Kiln upper and use it as an outer layer often and its been beyond awesome and durable.

D16er

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running FL in SoCal and it is not the best for brush hunting and that is on me, I should have done my research. The Corrugate pants are money! Great pants with little wear and extremely comfortable, base layers are solid as well but as others have mentioned it does wear a lot especially in the area I hunt which is in dense with brush. I wear FL as a base layer then run a Russel camo shirt as an outer layer when hiking up to my spot to decrease wear and have noticed that my merino base layer is still wearing at the seams with some pilling. Im assuming because of the abbrasion next to the Russel shirt. I have the chama hoody I will most likely be using once I get to my glassing spot so I don't destroy it.

I recently bought the Sitka Core tops (light, mid and heavy) but bought them too small so I wont be running them until I loose some weight.

Does any one have experience with Sitka synthetics in dense brush?

xcutter

WKR
My experience with this is that I was running after a shot turkey and the crotch of the Kanab 1.0's just ripped out. I'd only had them for a couple weeks. The other pair of Kanab 1.0's ripped when I was just hiking a trail. I think I just stepped farther than the pants could stretch. I've had zero issue with the Corrugate's though.

My experience with this is that I was running after a shot turkey and the crotch of the Kanab 1.0's just ripped out. I'd only had them for a couple weeks. The other pair of Kanab 1.0's ripped when I was just hiking a trail. I think I just stepped farther than the pants could stretch. I've had zero issue with the Corrugate's though.
Mine did the same thing. They suck.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I know on the two pairs Kanab 2s I had they went from merino to some type of spandex patch right in the seem of the crotch, just seems like a difficult thing to combine in a high stress area. Both pairs came apart there at the seams between the two types of material (had one pair, happened, got a warranty pair, same thing happened, didn’t bother sending it back).

First season with FL corrugate guide pant, jacket, and base layers. Took it all to CO for archery elk. All have held up extremely well. I snagged the pants on dead fall several times. Hung it on barbed wire and haven't torn it yet. Really impressed so far.

ChrisS

WKR
I know on the two pairs Kanab 2s I had they went from merino to some type of spandex patch right in the seem of the crotch, just seems like a difficult thing to combine in a high stress area. Both pairs came apart there at the seams between the two types of material (had one pair, happened, got a warranty pair, same thing happened, didn’t bother sending it back).
With my kanab's the stretchy crotch has held up just fine and I'm still using them. I liked the pocket layout better on the Obsidians, but they replaced that spandex synthetic fabric with merino and it just wore through quickly. I had a tailor add some stretchy fabric to it to reinforce, but I don't how well that's going to stand up to lots of hiking.

I'm thinking of going back to Kuiu for pants at least because they just seem like they'll wear a lot harder.