Hoyt 80lb limbs and RKT cams?

Craig4791

WKR
I have heard that Hoyt is known for having a very smooth draw cycle and that people feel that Hoyt's are easier to draw.

Do you Hoyt guys feel this way?

Anybody that has shot 80lb limbs on a Hoyt I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Especially with the RKT cams.

I am shooting an MR6 currently at 73lbs and love shooting a heavy arrow out of a speed bow for the big momentum numbers.

Would love to try out a Spyder Turbo with 80lb limbs if the draw is real smooth.

I have only shot one 80lb bow and it was an insanity CPXL. That thing was a BEAR!! To draw and seemed a lot harder to draw than my MR6 for only being 7 extra pounds.

One thing is for sure though I will not sacrifice accuracy for a few extra fps.

OR Archer

WKR
Each has a different draw cycle and are smooth in their own right. The MR starts easy and builds steadily. The RKT is steady all the way through, but each is very smooth in my opinion. I would also say that I think the #3 cams have an easier draw cycle than the #2 cams, but that's just me.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
I agree for being such an aggressive cam I feel the MR is a pretty good draw.

6t4nova

WKR
My VT at 83 lbs was a good draw. Not too harsh at all. I had the #3 cams on it and am going to the #2 cams, so I expect the draw cycle to be a little more noticeable

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Cool, just picked up a VT so I'm going to try it out with the 70's cranked down. If I feel good about it ill order a set of 80lb limbs for it.

What do the different number RKT cams do for you? I'm new to Hoyt's this is my first one.

6t4nova

WKR
Different cam numbers are just for draw length. I have a 28" draw and the #3 cam goes from 28-30 I believe it is. Basically I wasn't getting full cam rotation, so I changed to the #2 cam for full rotation.

shaun

WKR
My 80lb turbo should be here this week I am hoping. I shot the 70 and it shot great! Should have an idea for you pretty quickly

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
My 80lb turbo should be here this week I am hoping. I shot the 70 and it shot great! Should have an idea for you pretty quickly

Ya Shaun, let me know how your Spyder 80lb compares to the Insanity 80lb.

Like I said the only 80lb bow I have shot was an insanity and it felt way different than my MR at 73.

Shaun, I'm very interested in your thoughts on the insanity vs the hoyt. I shoot an 80# Matrix and would like to shoot it side by side to the Bowtech. I really like the idea of the dual split yoke. I love my Matrix but it seems that Bowtech is the most innovative company on the market these days.

Craig, I don't think you'll find an increase in speed if you properly spine your arrow. I would like to hear what other guys shooting these 80# hoyts are using for an arrow. I'm shooting the FMJ 300 at 27 3/4" and 502 grains. According to THE ARCHERY PROGRAM I'm still a touch underspined. With a 28.5" draw length and 4 brass nocks on both ends of my string I'm getting 290 fps. What I am getting is 90 plus pounds of kenetic energy. I shot a buck from a tree this year that entered just in front of his hip and busted through the sternum on the way out. He ran 50 yards and died in seconds. That to me is the reason I shoot 80#'s.

If you look at the prostaff shooters, i.e. Cameron Hanes, Dan Staton, and Anthony Dixon, that shoot 80# Hoyts, they're shooting a much lighter arrow than me. According to TAP they're underspined but you can't discredit there results. My question to everyone on this thread is how important is it to match the correct spine? How much can you get away with to maintain your speed when shooting 80#'s.

Craig, I just switched out my limbs. They had a few fibers frey on me last year. If you buy a lighter Hoyt you could borrow my old limbs and try them on your bow to see if you like them. There's nothing wrong with them. I just like to keep my gear up to snuff. Just pay the shipping there and back and try them out for a few months.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
LittlebrotherC,

Thanks a lot for the offer! I ended up picking up a Vector Turbo with 70lb limbs.

Will your limbs work on my VT?

Im shooting 300 spine shafts out of my MR6 with the arrow coming in at 472 gr. According to TAP I should be shooting a .250 spine but I haven't had any tuning issues with the setup.

For now I plan on cranking down the 70lb limbs and shooting a 500 gr .300 spine arrow out of the VT. Because of the less aggressive cam and longer ATA it should be similar to my MR6.

Not really looking for more speed just the heaviest arrow I can shoot in the 285-300fps range.

Gus

FNG
Not really looking for more speed just the heaviest arrow I can shoot in the 285-300fps range.[/QUOTE]

Craig,
I have the Spyder Turbo in 80 lbs. the rkt cam has a smooth draw. I have a 29 inch draw and I shoot a 525 grain arrow. the speed through the chrono at the pro shop was 288 fps. I hope this helps.

before this bow, I shot an 80 lb. Hoyt After Burner. The ABurner was a little faster (295 fps same arrow) but the cam was not as smooth as the Spyder Turbo.

littlebrotherc,

Arrow Spine is EVERYTHING when it comes to broadhead flight and accuracy. I have shot bows that tuned with 4 different spines and all of them shot good groups UNTIL I threw on a fixed blade head. Thats where you are going to see the difference.

Plus as long as you maintain a 5 grains per pounds arrow weight to bow weight ratio then the bow manufacturer will at least warranty any issues...if your under VOID.

But hopefully Darin Cooper will read this and throw in some thoughts from the engineering side of things.

Craig,
You'd have to check with Hoyt to see if my limbs work on your bow. I know others who have made similar combinations work well.

I just had 80lb limbs put on my hoyt maxxis 35 a month ago. I have about 500 arrows through it now and I am loving how they shoot. I am running a ~500 grain arrow (27" Gold Tip pro hunters in camo, 125 grain shuttle ts, standard insert with extra 10 grain screwed in, 7" wrap and 3 blazer vanes) and they fly great. No idea how fast but fast enough.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Don't let Aron fool you on "not bad" Haha. That 86lbs damn near killed me Haha. I shoot a 75lb Turbo so I'm familiar but he is a beast to shoot that much weight.