Hoyt bow

Jotis

WKR
Looking at Hoyt bows as this is what my local archery shop carries. What model would you suggest for elk hunting?

Rob5589

WKR
The one that feels right and that you shoot the best. Bows are very subjective. Pick one you like, become proficient, set it up with the proper arrow and broadhead, go huntin. Good luck, buying new gear is awesome 😁

87TT

WKR
Any of them. Seriously though, how much you want to spend. The Powermax is a great bang for the buck.

87TT

WKR
Probably get a used bow for a good price. Just make sure it fits you. Your bow shop can help with that.

nphunter

WKR
Any of them would be great. I personally haven’t been a big turbo fan since the Z5 cam system. I love my Carbon Hoyt but the aluminum ones are great too. I feel like Hoyt is making some of the best bows on the market. I have shoot a lot of different bows over the years and always find myself back with a Hoyt in my hand.

The bow that will be the most forgiving for a western style hunt, so one with 34”+ ATA and 6 3/4”+ brace height. Those short speed bows are catered toward whitetail guys in tree stands and a 30yrd shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Personally ?

I’d go Carbon. But that’s me not you.

Hoyt is a super great choice, my choice in fact.

You just need to shoot them all and consider the cost if cost is an issue.

I will say this. I never bow hunted elk. But from what I see, 60 yards is a normal shot. Will that yardage in mind, I think it might be more important to have a decent length axle to axle around 33+ inches. I feel it’s easier long axle on longer shots then a short axle. Brace never was a concern of mine with the technology today.

OP
J

Jotis

WKR
Personally ?

I will say this. I never bow hunted elk. But from what I see, 60 yards is a normal shot. Will that yardage in mind, I think it might be more important to have a decent length axle to axle around 33+ inches. I feel it’s easier long axle on longer shots then a short axle. Brace never was a concern of mine with the technology today.

I am leaning towards a longer bow, I use to shot a 34" bow really well. Bought a new 30" bow and have be really struggling even since

nphunter

WKR
I am leaning towards a longer bow, I use to shot a 34" bow really well. Bought a new 30" bow and have be really struggling even since

I would personally lean toward the RX3 Ultra 34" if it were me or you could even buy a RX1 which you can pick up discounted and they are 32" ATA. I personally don't worry about brace height because with the newer bows i feel it is a non-issue. I am shooting a 2014 CST which is 33" ATA and 5 3/4" Brace with the #2 Z5 Cam, I can constantly slap arrows together at 40 yards with it. I have never shot a better shooting bow, i have also not found a bow that i like enough to make me want to put mine down and upgrade.

I definitely feel like the trend in going short ATA is annoying and most companies don't offer a bow with great specs in a longer ATA. I do think that Ultra would be an awesome bow.

Axlrod

WKR
Personally ?

I have shot a lot of elk and seen a lot shot -my first was in the 70's with a Wing 42lb recurve, cedar shafts, and Bear broad heads.
One of my hunting buddies that kills a big bull every year and shoots his bow nearly every day of the year has a max range of 40 yards and i agree with that. In my hunting group most elk are killed at 20 yards or less.