Hoyt can vs Mathews at 30 inches.

Zac

WKR
I blew up my old Hoyt Defiant. I need a bow for Elkshape in April. My question is at a 30 in draw would I be getting more out of the Hoyt #2 cam then a Mathews can with a mod?

87TT

WKR
Don't know about the Mathews but how did you blow up the Defiant?

Brendan

WKR
30" Draw you need a 35" ATA Bow. Don't go short ATA.

Look at Hoyt RX1 or RX4 Ultra, Prime Centergy Hybrid, Logic CT 5 or Black 5. Bowtech Reckoning, PSE has 35" ATA bows, etc.

Last edited:
In my experience the Mathews bows are very efficient throughout the draw length range, and unless you are going with a Traverse 30" is about the top end of a lot of Mathews bows. The Hoyt bows are always faster at the upper end of the cam range so it will depend on which model and cam you fit into.

Honestly though, you will be splitting hairs. Both companies make awesome bows. You will be happy with any of them from those two companies. Go shoot them and see what feels the best.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Don't know about the Mathews but how did you blow up the Defiant?
I restrung it and was drawing it with the limb bolts backed out quite a bit. Put a vertical crack in one of the limbs.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
I like the new PSE as well as the Prime, trying to support my local shop and they don't carry either, really like the Traverse but I don't think it will launch my Valkyries 570 grains fast enough.

I like the new PSE as well as the Prime, trying to support my local shop and they don't carry either, really like the Traverse but I don't think it will launch my Valkyries 570 grains fast enough.
It will if you put 80lbs wake limbs on it

Mine is shooting 558 grains at 292 fps 29" draw 84lbs.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Yeah if I already had one I would look into that. I don't feel like buying a new bow and immediately replacing the limbs, I suppose if I got a good deal on a used one that may be an option.

87TT

WKR
I restrung it and was drawing it with the limb bolts backed out quite a bit. Put a vertical crack in one of the limbs.
OOPS! I really like my Pro Defiant and would probably get a new limb but good excuse for a new bow. Maybe a new bow and limb so you could have a backup?

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Yeah I'll get another limb, haven't found a set of 80 yet, mine is a Defiant, not the Pro model. I have struggled horribly keeping the timing correct and trying to tune it. So I'm not real disappointed, mostly hated that bow.

Yeah if I already had one I would look into that. I don't feel like buying a new bow and immediately replacing the limbs, I suppose if I got a good deal on a used one that may be an option.
There are a ton of Traverses in the Archery Talk classifieds right now for some reason. You could probably get one in great shape for under $700 and then get the wake limbs. You would still be under a thousand dollars for the bow.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
No kidding I've never looked at anything except KSL for used bows.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I blew up my old Hoyt Defiant. I need a bow for Elkshape in April. My question is at a 30 in draw would I be getting more out of the Hoyt #2 cam then a Mathews can with a mod?

Sir

You’re not a 2 cam. You’re a 3 cam. Hoyt that is.

If I were you, and you sound like someone 6’2” or so ? I’d go Hoyt Ultra which Is 34 axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
I think the new cams top out at 30 inches for the number 2 cam. I was thinking I'd get more out of a maxed out number 2 cam than 30 inches on the number 3 cam. You could be right though.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Ended up picking up a VXR. Shooting it at 31 inches. It's pushing my 265 grainers at 276 with 70 lb mods.

Ended up picking up a VXR. Shooting it at 31 inches. It's pushing my 265 grainers at 276 with 70 lb mods.

You’re shooting some feather light arrows if they are really 265

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
No 565 grains at 31 inches with 70 lbs and 85% let off. I thought that was oddly fast myself. Maybe I should chrono it again.