Hoyt Carbon RX-3!

Trial153

WKR
Do you know the real weight of the Helix?
The guy that posted the loves hoyt, no reason for him to lie so I tend to trust the numbers.

From nasty

I weighed the Helix, RX-3, RX-1, and Ritual30 today. All were bare out of the box with tags still attached.

Helix - 4.76

RX-3 - 4.45

RX-1 - 4.31

Ritual30 - 4.23

I guess it's now standard procedure for manufacturers to advertise the weight of the bow without any of the dampening or string weights installed?

Shot the new carbon Hoyt at my bow shop today. Other than being liter compared to my halon 32 with 5” BH, I wasn’t overly impressed. More hand shock and more vibration than both the halon and triax and slower than my halon and same speed as the triax. Did have a decent draw at 70 pounds. Better than I thought it would. Held well at full draw too. I wanted to like it but I can’t justify slower speeds for $550 more to shave a little weight.

I’d be more interested if it had a higher ibo and less vibe and hand shock.

Real interested to see where Mathews goes. Won’t be in the market unless they blow it out of the water but the triax pretty much did that. Even with that said, I still picked the halon over the triax for the speed. I wanted to launch heavier arrows faster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
What's the technical difference between a standard hybrid and a turd hybrid?

samc

Lil-Rokslider
Shot the RX3 today next to a couple of the new bowtechs (which I don't think were supposed to be on the shelf yet) and was not impressed at all with the Hoyts. Really liked the new bowtechs. Just slightly less hand shock from the RX3 compared to the RX1. Just my 0.02.

trkyslr

WKR
Shot all the new hoyts today .... imo horrible rough draw, horrible spongy back wall (none), valley mehhh, didn’t hold on target well for me,,,, but good points was at the shot with very minimal vibration and pretty quiet. For the cost and all the hype again I was let down with hoyts. Just my .02

Slim Jim

WKR
Well I really liked the new rx3. I liked it so much I bought it
6f6deb52ecc42cc0434380797fbf1018.jpg
0bba2a1b5e54a1ad52ee44798affcd80.jpg

I know bows are like a pair of boots. What works for one person may not work for another. This bow for me shoots like a dream. Smooth draw cycle. Makes 70# feel like a 60# draw. Quiet and no vibration.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Well I really liked the new rx3. I liked it so much I bought it
6f6deb52ecc42cc0434380797fbf1018.jpg
0bba2a1b5e54a1ad52ee44798affcd80.jpg

I know bows are like a pair of boots. What works for one person may not work for another. This bow for me shoots like a dream. Smooth draw cycle. Makes 70# feel like a 60# draw. Quiet and no vibration.

I just picked up an RX1 Ultra day before last. Wither I have the best one Hoyt made, or some of the naysayers had been in the bottle before posting their reviews about vibe and draw sequence LOL

WYCFM1

WKR
I honestly think when all these guys feel this bow and shoot it they’ll understand better why Jacob bought it. If you didn’t have a spec sheet to worry about and Hoyt said just shoot it and see how you like it. You’d like it. I shot it the day scheels got theirs in stock. Pretty nice. I still have a hard time justifying 1599.00 tho. But doesn’t mean it’s not the best bow on the market. I kind of believe it is

WYCFM1

WKR
At the least the comfiest! Haven’t shot the new primes yet tho.

Brendan

WKR
Only real interesting thing I've seen about the new bow so far is this, from Ontarget7 / Shane, as I know he knows what he's doing from a tuning perspective. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Shane Chuning on Instagram: “What a refreshing site to see a tail low and tail left from initial tune settings. A couple small tweaks and in 3 shots we are on our way…”

"The cams will look similar however the RX-3 cams are bigger and the have tweaked the cam track so now it tunes more the same throughout the different draw length. Prior to they have wanted to tune nock low or bottom cam hitting first. For me personally this leads to more inconsistencies in your vertical group spread down range. I’m also see less lateral nock travel movement throughout the draw cycle."

I know where he's coming from with the tuning comment, and am wondering about the vertical consistency comment, I may have seen something similar, hard to tell. Loving my RX1 Ultra though, so for me, it's probably wait for everyone to buy them and then start selling for a big loss on AT :D More interested in something like a used Triax as I need something as compact as possible for some local hunting.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
playing catch up to a 28" ATA toy?

I wasn't a fan of the Triax, to each their own.

Sorry, I didn't see this reply earlier.

My initial reaction to the Triax when I first saw it last year: "no adult should shoot that bow".

However after multiple issues last season with my Hoyt's scaring animals (and friends witnessing these shots from 600 yards away, commenting about how loud my bow is) I decided that maybe I could live with a midget bow if it's quiet. And it is that. My draw at 29" is probably the longest for a reasonable peep location give the short AtA. Otherwise it shoots fine for me.

After living with a Triax through half a hunting season the main complaint can be summarized with "tuning problems" (it's a long story). Right now all seems well though this bow is on thin ice.

I shot the RX3 over the weekend and it still sounds like a crossbow even with a 528 grain arrow. Everything else about it was fine.

This discussion looks like most of those for politics and my attitude toward bows is rapidly moving toward that of politicians: they all have problems.

I'm sure I'd find issues with Bowtech as well though my shop doesn't carry them.

Rant over, I hope someone else finds some humor in all this (as was the intent).

OP
Jacob Chapman
Sorry, I didn't see this reply earlier.

My initial reaction to the Triax when I first saw it last year: "no adult should shoot that bow".

However after multiple issues last season with my Hoyt's scaring animals (and friends witnessing these shots from 600 yards away, commenting about how loud my bow is) I decided that maybe I could live with a midget bow if it's quiet. And it is that. My draw at 29" is probably the longest for a reasonable peep location give the short AtA. Otherwise it shoots fine for me.

After living with a Triax through half a hunting season the main complaint can be summarized with "tuning problems" (it's a long story). Right now all seems well though this bow is on thin ice.

I shot the RX3 over the weekend and it still sounds like a crossbow even with a 528 grain arrow. Everything else about it was fine.

This discussion looks like most of those for politics and my attitude toward bows is rapidly moving toward that of politicians: they all have problems.

I'm sure I'd find issues with Bowtech as well though my shop doesn't carry them.

Rant over, I hope someone else finds some humor in all this (as was the intent).

I picked up an RX1 Ultra, shooting 65# it is insane quiet. I shot at the same coyote twice yesterday morning (long story) and could have shot again if I was willing to sacrifice another arrow (tuning issue, completely my fault for the miss).

TravisIN

WKR
I picked up an RX1 Ultra, shooting 65# it is insane quiet. I shot at the same coyote twice yesterday morning (long story) and could have shot again if I was willing to sacrifice another arrow (tuning issue, completely my fault for the miss).

I’m with you. Completely happy with the noise my rx1 puts out. I shot a doe on film this morning at 30 yards and the three does behind her just stared at her when she ran off and went back to browsing. It was insanely still this morning also. Have all of it on film, even mentioned people talking about how “loud” the rx1 was. Haha I also shot my buck on oct 26 with 5 other deer in the field with the furthest being around 45 yards away. Go back to mid oct when I shot 2 out of three does that came in. Same story. I think they all sound loud indoors. My buddy came over and shot his triax with me this summer and you couldn’t tell a difference in sound. Both very quiet.

ontarget7

WKR
Only real interesting thing I've seen about the new bow so far is this, from Ontarget7 / Shane, as I know he knows what he's doing from a tuning perspective. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Shane Chuning on Instagram: “What a refreshing site to see a tail low and tail left from initial tune settings. A couple small tweaks and in 3 shots we are on our way…”

"The cams will look similar however the RX-3 cams are bigger and the have tweaked the cam track so now it tunes more the same throughout the different draw length. Prior to they have wanted to tune nock low or bottom cam hitting first. For me personally this leads to more inconsistencies in your vertical group spread down range. I’m also see less lateral nock travel movement throughout the draw cycle."

I know where he's coming from with the tuning comment, and am wondering about the vertical consistency comment, I may have seen something similar, hard to tell. Loving my RX1 Ultra though, so for me, it's probably wait for everyone to buy them and then start selling for a big loss on AT :D More interested in something like a used Triax as I need something as compact as possible for some local hunting.

When hybrid cams tune clean with bottom cam hitting first leaves more room to float the top cam. This makes it harder to be as consistent as possibly pulling through the shot. With the tension loads being different between the CC and the BC I have found over the years with a hybrid it’s more beneficial to preload tension on the less loaded CC. The CC has less load on the cables than the BC so having the top cam hit just before the bottom takes up that little extra slack per say and gives you a more equal load against the wall. Also makes for a firmer backwall. End results generally are tighter vertical group spreads.

This year in the RX3 series I’m not seeing the need to have bottom hitting first and it seems they are back on track from a technical tuning standpoint. It has showed right away in forgiveness down range in vertical group spreads being way more forgiving.

Sighting in a new sight tape you’ll notice not much difference at all in vertical spread at 60 yards.
bd43feb60905677b27db9409dd56e05b.jpg

Most may have a first impression as not much has changed. However I will say I’m quite sure once you spend some time behind the RX3 you will find more difference than you realized at first glance. Definitely not the same bow and I would say the best Carbon offering by Hoyt to date.

I can take a 300,330 and 350 spine with all different diameter bareshafts from micro to 5/16 and still have excellent results with not much change in tune settings at all. Definitely a way more forgiving bow from what I’m seeing.

ontarget7

WKR
Shane - any experience with the Ultra yet, or just the standard RX3?

Haven’t spent a lot of time with one but debating on ordering one for a target bow.
I’m vertically challenged

I was in a hurry checking sight tapes but vertical impact consistency down range is spot on. Liking what I’m seeing for improvements this year

YouTube

ontarget7

WKR
I’m sight tape is good. Pin float is crazy good
7c0fb9f1faa3940e63982d2307f07ddb.jpg

Quiver change and this new Fuse is worth checking out. Full hunting setup and balances perfect at full draw.
78e7a57eb622a4bc593a4983fac12b0a.jpg

ontarget7

WKR
My RX3 number 2 cam breaking in some new Spyder Web targets
580c33897ee08d664238319a05aee785.jpg