Hoyt Defiant 34 tune/spec question

Jay03

WKR
So I recently picked up what was supposed to be a basically new 2016 Hoyt Defiant 34 with the #3 cam and 65lb limbs. Turns out its been shot a some and used in a shop as a demo. No biggie as its in great condition and I got it for a good price, its for a friend that wants to get into bow hunting. It will be run at 29" but is currently set at 29.5 DL.

So I am measuring and checking it out on the draw board and first thing I notice is its a little out of cam sync, bottom string stop hits first by 1/4" or so. I will work on that in the sext day or two. Then I measure ATA, DW, and BH. Axle to axle measures really close at 34 1/16. Poundage maxed out is 66.1lbs. Now the interesting part. Brace height measures 7 1/2"... pretty long according to the Hoyt charts. I have not removed the strings to measure them but according to the seller they are the originals that go with a 65lb #3 cam bow defiant 34. For the Hoyt pros what could be causing the BH to be a 1/2 long and the rest of the specs to be within range? And how can I correct that? Or is it kinda how they tune out even though spec is 7" BH. This is my first time messing with a Hoyt but I have tuned and set up plenty of bows to know my way around if needed. I own a press and draw board. I googled this without finding much info at all except all the issues with #2 cams. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
A bit off subject but you need to make sure you have the correct press for the Defiant. You may need adapters to press that bow. The brace height will be a bit more than 7" due to the #3 cam as well. There could be a variance in the brace hight with the grips as well

zacha79

Lil-Rokslider
That brace isn't too bad considering the bow isn't timed. get the bow in the correct draw position, then time the bow. make sure max draw weight is between 65-68ish. Then check what brace height is.

I haven't checked the brace on my previous few hoyts. I just got draw length, max weight, and cam timing in spec. didn't care about brace after that. also, a #3 cam in the A position on that bow is going to be pretty low on efficiency. a 2.1 cam maxed out would give your friend a lot more performance

Beendare

WKR
I couldn't tell you...but I can tell you there are some very specific guidelines to tuning those. I was talking with a young guys that tunes those for a living and its pretty specific...and a little out of ordinary....IMO, find a guy that knows those particular bows before you go messing with it.

OR Archer

WKR
I would recheck your measurements. I don't think it's possible to be on A2A spec wise and be that far out. Plus if it did have the wrong length cables you wouldn't be on poundage wise either.

Does it have the 1 piece grip or side plates?

I think my pro defiant is a little over the recommended BH, but not nearly a 1/2".

The sync tends to be setup for dead even unlike the older hoyts with the top cam advanced. At least from the guys ive seen tuning them. Set cam lean so an arrow running down the side intersects around the dloop to start and set centershot about 13/16 off the metal riser. Most guys run the bottom of the arrow through the top portion of the berger hole instead of dead center.

OP
J

Jay03

WKR
It has side plates. I'm going get the cams timed and recheck everything. I know what you mean OR Archer, I rechecked it several times to make sure I was seeing it right. Didn't make sense that other specs are in the the brace height was 1/2" out. Thanks for the replies so far, I'll get back with what I find after some tuning effort.

OP
J

Jay03

WKR
That brace isn't too bad considering the bow isn't timed. get the bow in the correct draw position, then time the bow. make sure max draw weight is between 65-68ish. Then check what brace height is.

I haven't checked the brace on my previous few hoyts. I just got draw length, max weight, and cam timing in spec. didn't care about brace after that. also, a #3 cam in the A position on that bow is going to be pretty low on efficiency. a 2.1 cam maxed out would give your friend a lot more performance

I understand the 2.1 cam vs the 3 cam for 29" but with the research I've done and from friends that have Hoyts it looks like about 5-7 fps difference and a little different feel in draw cycle to switch cams. With some saying it might be a little smoother in the A on number 3 cam. I think to get started and familiar with the bow it will work out just fine set up like it is for now. Honestly if he gets into the tuning and search for speed he'll probably go to a different bow down the road you know what I mean. I know the word is the 2.1 cam has solved the tuning issues but for now I trust the #3 cam to be set up correctly and tune out. Down the road he can look at swapping cams if he thinks its worth the gain

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
7 1/2" actually sounds about right since the actual brace height listed for that bow is 7 1/16th and with side plates you are going to gain around 3/8". I still prefer the #3 cam as well over the 2.1

jmez

WKR
Without the grip that brace is right on. It is also going to draw about 1/2 inch long without the grip.

OP
J

Jay03

WKR
Ok well that eases my mind, thanks for the Hoyt knowledge. I guess I assumed the brace would be measured from the riser not the grip surface. Elite guy here so side plates are all I know. And this Hoyt just has side plates.

OP
J

Jay03

WKR
7 1/2" actually sounds about right since the actual brace height listed for that bow is 7 1/16th and with side plates you are going to gain around 3/8". I still prefer the #3 cam as well over the 2.1

I have read that a few times that the #3 feels pretty good even in its shorter settings. That's why I was good with this bow set up the way it was. Today my buddy was shooting it and after getting a good anchor point figured out I am thinking he will run the 29.5 DL anyway.