Hoyt defiant limb delaminating just a heads up to the hoyt guys here

DEW0341

WKR
This is not a hoyt bashing post!
My bow is defiant 34 #70 @31" DL
I just had noticed on 3 of my limbs in 4 spots they are delaminating/splintering. I am posting this just as a heads up to let you hoyt defiant guys know about it. My preferred shop said this is the first one in the 1.5 years they have seen of the defiants delaminating or splintering. It is being covered under warranty I will just be waiting for a couple weeks to get them, yes my bow was rattle canned but I removed the paint no issue
3a46e864c92876f3c0205c22361467e6.jpg
076020c94c52c7105b868235d9702306.jpg
c4cf3b917e4277d9af99ec54e46a8326.jpg
06f7651f00d73637af523c1f9aed20ef.jpg
. I wouldn't want anyone to have their bow blow up in their faces so that's why I'm putting this up.
Pics
833f6a85c767d4001f2ee0e6dea1fa80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
Those are just splinters. Nothing delaminating or structurally unsound about them. Definitely get them replaced for piece of mind but I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it.

Those are just splinters. Nothing delaminating or structurally unsound about them. Definitely get them replaced for piece of mind but I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it.

I am new to bows and had something similar on my carbon spyder turbo after a year. The shop cracked off a few splinters when I had it restrung. Shop 1 sorta blew it off and told me it was cosmetic and not to worry. Another shop said it probably wasn't an issue but I should watch it close and it would reduce resale. I opted for a replacement. HOYT sent new limbs in a snap and the second shop hooked me up. Both HOYT and the 2nd shop gained a loyal customer.

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR

I've only heard it and seen it called both things is all, and I defiantly put about 200 arrows through it before I took it in to get replaced

Dameon

WKR
Hoyt's are known to suffer from splintering on the edges of the limbs, but is the first report I've seen on the Defiant. 9 times out of 10, it has no effect on the bow, but if you are the original owner, Hoyt's warranty will take care of you.

I've had at least 4 splinters on my Vector Turbo. I just clip them off, add a dab of super glue and sand the edge smooth with 600 grit paper. My limbs come out looking like new and they have thousands of shots on them. They are still going strong.

My new to me Carbon Defiant Turbo had the very tip of the bottom limb chip off in an unfortunate run in with my wife's wheelchair. I glued and sanded the damaged area and have about 500 shots on it now, but I don't trust a patch like that so close to the axle holes and fully exposed on the very outside bottom tip of the bow. If the chipped area turns into a massive splinter, then I am sure the limb would fail. I ordered new limbs from my local shop 1 1/2 weeks ago and will have the limbs replaced this weekend.

Quit banging the limbs on sharp edges?

I had a few splinters over the years but not in the last 5 years. I thought they had mostly fixed the issue.

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
I know there are a lot of hoyt guys here so I just wanted to put it out there, worse case scenario they don't notice a deep one keep shooting and it blows up at full draw or something.

Shop said it's the first one he seen since they moved away from the older 7 layer limbs

I did the clip and sand deal til I could take it in to get warrantied. It shot fine but I'm still gonna get it fixed since it was a $1000 investment when I got it brand new.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
My PSE Carbon Air has 0 Splintering after a year of hard shooting =) Almost every other day. :rolleyes:

Ive shot my defiants (i have 2) more than most people ever will shoot their bows and have had zero issues. I did have splinters on my alpha max and carbon spyder turbo. both of those Hoyt replaced no questions asked. This is also the first time I have heard or seen it happen on a defiant.

Dameon

WKR
Well, I got my bow dropped off at the dealer, but they called me with bad news an hour later. They ordered the wrong limbs. They are calling Hoyt to get it taken care of, but it will be at least another week. Really bummed me out. Insult to injury, I am 5 weeks into a 4-6 week custom Spot Hogg order. Still no word on status of my order.

OR Archer

WKR
Hoyt is pretty caught up right now so delivery of products has been pretty fast lately. You'll be up and running in no time.

Beendare

WKR
Delaminating...not even close....but now its out there in the title trashing Hoyt.

It appears you are a hard core bowhunter that doesn't baby your bows....kudos, we don't need to. I know many like us and we ding our bows up a fair amount. Little slivers like this happen and the guys above nailed it on what to do....then move on.

BTW dew, thx for your service....my family and myself appreciate your sacrifice.

Jethro

WKR
My 2013 Spyder 34 got splinters 2 years ago. Its at shop now getting new stings/cables and they got a new limb from Hoyt for me. I never worried about it though. My previous bow was a Mathews Legacy and also had some splinters on the edges.

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
Delaminating...not even close....but now its out there in the title trashing Hoyt.

It appears you are a hard core bowhunter that doesn't baby your bows....kudos, we don't need to. I know many like us and we ding our bows up a fair amount. Little slivers like this happen and the guys above nailed it on what to do....then move on.

BTW dew, thx for your service....my family and myself appreciate your sacrifice.

I attempt to be hardcore but have some work to do, I don't mean it as trashing I in no way have a negative attitude toward hoyt what so ever. How do you know I'm in the service???

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
I assumed from the Camp Pendelton.....

Sorry for the snotty internet response....these kinds of threads are a pet peeve of mine

Didn't know it said where I'm from, thank you and yours for being patriots of this great country!