Hoyt powermax

I'm considering buying a hoyt powermax mostly because of the price. Anybody know if this is a decent bow? Thanks

Rob5589

WKR
Based on specs, should be a decent shooter. On any used bow you need to assume it will need new threads and a tune. So take that into consideration in regards to cost.

I have one i learned to shoot on. I think they are very good. If you're interested in buying one let me know and maybe we can work something out

It’s a decent bow. I’ve taken a bull and a mulie with one. I do have to say it’s pretty compact, more for tree stand hunting, the draw cycle is not what I was consider smooth but overall good bow. If that’s your price range I think you’d get more for money buying a used bow in classifieds on AT or here then spending the extra on better sight/rest/stabs/arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son bought one earlier last year and it seems to be a very nice bow. Smooth draw and pretty quiet. So far, he’s used it to kill countless small game, a fox, a deer, and two caribou. Come to think of it, he just put a new string on it yesterday.
8ee291dfa5725fcba698585642227dc6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that was my first bow, still have it as a back up. I sometimes think I shoot it better than my main bow. Keep thinking I’ll sell it but I go back to it every now and then.

Zac

WKR
You just need to understand what you are getting when you buy a budget bow. This is a cast riser with plastic limb pockets, and a roller slide. Nothing wrong with any of that, however tolerances are going to vary much more with this type of format vs an aluminum riser, with metal limb pockets, and a roller cable guard. The biggest inconsistency with the Power Max was the risers. If they did not cure right than you could see alot of nock travel due to rotational deflection when the bow was drawn. I assume this is probably the case with most cast risers. You can usually tune out issues like this, however you may not end up with the arrow dead down the riser at 13/16s. If those kind of issues bother you than I would look at an aluminum riser.

philcox

WKR
I have been shooting one for 2 years. It will put anything down that you can shoot at. The issue, like any bow, is the archer. I just bought a Prime Nexus 2, and will keep the PM as my backup. I would recommend it as a first bow.

87TT

WKR
I'm considering buying a hoyt powermax mostly because of the price. Anybody know if this is a decent bow? Thanks
Price should not be the most important criteria. When I bought my PowerMax, I shot several bows at the shop. Including some "flagship" bows. For me it just seemed to feel better. If you can swing it, I would try several before buying one. For $100 or so more there are some better options especially in the used market. I saw a Helix in the classifieds for just about what I paid for a new PowerMax. For the cost of a dozen arrows and a decent target, you could definitely get a a better bow. Now stick around and introduce yourself and let us know more about your goals.

Last edited:
Curious to hear some opinions on a Hoyt that is a clear step above a PowerMax, but doesn't cost $1k.

I have been browsing for a Spyder 34 / CS 34, but it sounds like those are bows no one would ever sell unless they were in a real pinch. Nitrum 34 is the next contender.

Ravenk

FNG
Decent bow in my opinion, but google the specs and check it out yourself to be sure you know what you're buying.

Huntespo

FNG
I have a powermax, and it was my first bow. Now it is my back up bow and to be honest with you it is was best bow for the price. Now the Hoyt torrex has replaced the powermax which was the replacement for the charger. When i purchased the powermax i bought the ready to shoot package with the qad hunter rest, fuse 5 pin sight, stock stabilizer and quiver. With some practice it was a shooter. I realized i truly enjoyed archery so i upgraded everything a little bit at a time so it wouldnt be so expensive when i went with a flagship bow, from qad ultra rest, bee stinger stabilizer, Montana black gold sight, carter release and tight spot quiver. Let me tell you with all of those upgrades i was shooting that bow pretty accurately. Very impressed with the powermax would recommend it to anyone. This may be a little late for the post, however i hope this helps!.