HOYT REDWRX CARBON RX-3 Review

I’m using this left picture for reference only for the sight “square-ness”. The Triax won’t hold a tune and I no longer trust it as a hunting bow. I wish you better luck with yours.

I meant my RX3 that's back from the hoyt warranty department, I should have been more clear on the post

SoDaky

WKR
Doubt it applies to the Helix.Carbon only issue I think.From what I can determine the 'fix' has been working.I understand the fix will be on all new(yet to be shipped)RX3s.Strange if only' a few' needed anything.All this and time flying by has led me to cancel my order.Issuing a technical bulletin suggesting other companies sights were the problem was a factor for me.Disgusting frankly.

Right now I’m trying to decide between the Hoyt carbon rx-3 ultra or the helix ultra. Just wondering what made you go with the helix?

It was cheaper....

And in all honesty, I never even shot the RX3. But with other hoyts I've owned and shot, I've usually found the aluminum bows to have less vibration than the carbon bows. Helix shot well for me, and the weight wasn't a factor. I didn't even want to risk justifying the price tag on the RX3.

It was cheaper....

And in all honesty, I never even shot the RX3. But with other hoyts I've owned and shot, I've usually found the aluminum bows to have less vibration than the carbon bows. Helix shot well for me, and the weight wasn't a factor. I didn't even want to risk justifying the price tag on the RX3.
Yea I’m having trouble justifying the price for the upgrade to carbon with all else being almost equal. Thanks for your input.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I received my "repair kit" a few days ago and was able to rework my bow today. I'll try to show how it all worked.

First, here is the condition of my sight originally. Hard to see but it was angling out away from the riser.

KIMG0517.JPG

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The first thing to do was remove the serial number plate from beneath were the sight bolts on to access the bolt. In the photo, you can see how my sight had left indents in the carbon riser since the inserts were below flush. That is what was causing the sight to angle.

IMG_8224.JPG

Next, I backed out the bolt part way and hit it with a hammer to drive the insert plate out the other side.

IMG_8225.JPG

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
After that, I simply installed the new insert plate with the new bolt.

IMG_8227.JPG

I torqued it down per specification and everything was flat and square. Note that Hoyt also added a plate to the sight side of the riser.

IMG_8226.JPG

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It's obvious that a bow in this price range should never leave the factory in the condition that the affected bows did but the fix was easy and Hoyt fixed the problem to my satisfaction.

More to come as I finish getting everything dialed in for my upcoming spring bear hunt.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, trying to understand the fix. so is the issue where I circled in each pic. Top is before fix, bottom is after?
66a74eec809e467b1fe4cb653757d669.jpg
136d4619b51f4d93483b9407b5822380.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah Robby, you got it. Before the fix, I had to adjust the sight all the way to the left. Now it should be more centered.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
Now that I’ve shot mine for a while I will chime in and say that my RX-3 ultra is so much louder than my carbon Spyder it’s kinda disappointing... a bit heavier than I expected as well... can’t say that I’m impressed at all compared to the Spyder/Defiants it’s not much of an upgrade IMO

Edit - limb savers seemed to quiet it down a bit!!! great bow but I’m still debating on hunting with my Spyder this year

Last edited:

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I had an RX3. It was nice and shot well. It didn't have that riser issue but for whatever reason, the shorter brace height and cam profile really hurt my shoulder after a few shots. Kind of took the fun and anticipation out of practicing. I sold it for a hefty loss and it's back to my old aluminum Spyder 34 for this year.

For the price of the bow, I did expect better a better finish. The OCD part of me at a minimum wanted the stickers on straight! The logo above the rest fell off after a dozen shots as well. Like others have said, the weight savings does not exist over an aluminum bow. That was the first and last carbon bow I'll ever own.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Dialing in my broadheads for spring bear. Better late than never.

a4009b388b9afc38544ab69c2bf1cb49.jpg

Dialing in my broadheads for spring bear. Better late than never.

a4009b388b9afc38544ab69c2bf1cb49.jpg

How are you liking the quivalizer on there? I started with a 10” micro hex but have ordered the counter slide attachment. I tried the counter slide the shop owner had and the bow settled faster for me. I was also considering the quivalizer, and still am. I appreciate an insight. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
So far I really like it. The fact I can use a really long stabilizer without adding weight to my bow is a win in my book.