Hoyt REDWRX Carbon RX-5 review

Brendan

WKR
Definitely curious about how the Ultra stacks up to previous years. How easy it is to shim, and speed as well. Still rocking my RX1 Ultra...

At the same time - anyone who upgraded selling an RX4 Alpha or Turbo? (RH, 70, #3)

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The comment about having additional mounting options is puzzling to me as well.

The yoke system is simple no doubt but shimming cams is basically an industry standard at this point. Not having the cables split seems more durable to me in the long run... I've always kind of worried about them when I'm busting brush (not that I ever had an issue in reality).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Only issue I ever had with yokes were due to user error and a sharp Iron Will getting to close to them.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Definitely curious about how the Ultra stacks up to previous years. How easy it is to shim, and speed as well. Still rocking my RX1 Ultra...

At the same time - anyone who upgraded selling an RX4 Alpha or Turbo? (RH, 70, #3)
The new cam has a much different feel, I am liking both the Ventum 33 and RX5 but even they are very different from each other.

Have it set up and shooting yet? What are you thoughts?

All the people complain about bows weight and while I understand it’s important, these 30” ATA bows have risers that are significantly longer than 30” ATA bows from 5 years ago. There’s simply more material on the bows. How can they weigh less??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have been shooting the RX-5 for a while now and will be submitting the review soon.

If anyone has any last questions, I might be able to answer them in the review.
Throw them up and I will do my best.

JonD

FNG
Curious if you feel the need for a stabilizer still if they've improved how balanced the bow is out of the box. I feel the first thing a lot of us guys with carbon bows do is add weight to stabilize and balance.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Curious if you feel the need for a stabilizer still if they've improved how balanced the bow is out of the box. I feel the first thing a lot of us guys with carbon bows do is add weight to stabilize and balance.
I use the Option Archery Quivalizer but I shot the bow plenty without it and I think they are on to something with the new geometry that places the short little stab they supply out 7" in front of your hand.

eltaco

WKR

I’ve been shooting mine with only a 6” side bar (no front) just to balance out my quiver weight and it’s absolutely the most stable hunting bow I’ve ever shot. Very confidence inspiring at either short or long range, this bow is a lot of fun to shoot… especially with a Garmin Xero.

Hunting Gear Deals

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I feel your pain, my bow took several months to arrive. I don't think the bow manufactures saw this demand coming.
I called them last week and they said it would only be a couple more weeks. This will be the last time I ever order a bow. I've got a backup bow ready just in case this one doesn't make it.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I called them last week and they said it would only be a couple more weeks. This will be the last time I ever order a bow. I've got a backup bow ready just in case this one doesn't make it.
Sorry to hear, glad you have a backup ready.

Tyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Hoyt RX5 Ultra. Probably the smoothest draw of any bow I’ve shot.

I made the mistake of shooting this bow recently. Your comment about the draw making it feel like you are pulling a lighter poundage, was spot on, very smooth. I will be waiting for them to go on sale this winter though!

Netherman

WKR
Warning on pic rail sights:

I recently purchased the new pic attachment for black gold sights. I was excited to see the benefits of moving the sight inline with the riser and hoping not to need a side bar. After installing the pic rail on my RX-5 I realized that there is no accommodation to mount a quiver. This is incredibly frustrating as I am unable to mount my quiver or bow hanger clip.

I'll be going back to the side mount for this season. Hopefully this is something that Hoyt can address in the future with a modified bracket (I'd buy one). Looking at the design it seems that an additional spacer would also have allowed this. By supplying an insert spacer that was threaded on both sides you would be able to secure the mount and offer the traditional riser mount for quivers. Alternatively, they could beef up the outside bracket and allowed mounting posts/points there.

It seems like quite the oversight as I think a lot of people were interested in moving their quiver closer to the riser in addition to moving the sight. hopefully this wasn't done to move people to the carbon solo quivers, but I can't help but wonder.

Netherman

WKR
a8845b542f29c99e4f59bdae47afecff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk