Hoyt RX-4 Ultra 70# 31" draw arrow preference

I'm wondering what people are using for arrows in spot and stalk situations with this, or a similar bow setup?

Years ago we used Archers Advantage to match arrows/components with bows. Are there other more useful tools to calculate proper spine and FOC?

I've shot a Katera for years. 5mm FMJ 300s have done really well out of it for hunting. But, I was shooting a 29" draw...I have no idea why or how my draw length has changed from 20 years old to 36, but here we are. I shot quite a bit of 5 spot and 3D, reasonably well then, never realizing how short my draw was. Since Jan 1, 2020 I've lost 75lbs and I feel some how that made my draw longer...idk.

Using Archers Advantage to find the right arrow for the RX-4, there seems to be a donut hole between spine offerings in the FMJ lineup. I settled on 5mm Axis 260s. They weigh a touch over 500 grains and a measured them at 278FPS yesterday.

cured_ham

WKR
I would not shoot an FMJ, with an arrow that long you'll have to have a super heavy arrow. Something in the 9-11 GPI range will be your friend. I honestly see zero reasons anyone would ever run an FMJ (different soap box) but long draw guys 100% should not. Put the weight up front and run a stronger component or head.

Black Eagle Rampage, Victory VAP, and Black Eagle Carnivores are some I have personally used. I have a dozen Renegade 250's I have sitting here I am getting ready to build as well for TAC.

I have a 30.5 inch draw. I currently shoot a VAP 250 with 253 grains up front. 28.75 carbon. 560 total arrow weight. Out of my 80lb Black 5 it is 290fps.

If you're also shooting 70lbs+ I would highly recommend a 250 spine. You'll likely be underspined or right on the edge with a 300.

Zac

WKR
I'd shoot an Easton Axis 260, or a Rampage 250 with Ironwill components.

OP
Spartan Gunner
I would not shoot an FMJ, with an arrow that long you'll have to have a super heavy arrow. Something in the 9-11 GPI range will be your friend. I honestly see zero reasons anyone would ever run an FMJ (different soap box) but long draw guys 100% should not. Put the weight up front and run a stronger component or head.

Black Eagle Rampage, Victory VAP, and Black Eagle Carnivores are some I have personally used. I have a dozen Renegade 250's I have sitting here I am getting ready to build as well for TAC.

I have a 30.5 inch draw. I currently shoot a VAP 250 with 253 grains up front. 28.75 carbon. 560 total arrow weight. Out of my 80lb Black 5 it is 290fps.

If you're also shooting 70lbs+ I would highly recommend a 250 spine. You'll likely be underspined or right on the edge with a 300.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Looks that that arrow combo would have something like a 20.5% FOC. Is that what folks are running these days? I've been out of the archery gear game for a while, so I really don't know.

cured_ham

WKR
It depends who you ask lol. FOC is about a step away from politics for some people.

Some people swear by high FOC and some people swear by low FOC. Me personally I just pick the components I like on a shaft I like that gives me the speed I like and build it. Typically it comes out a higher FOC because I like stainless components and prefer lower GPI shafts.

cured_ham

WKR
5mm are definitely easier.

If you go 4mm you are pigeon holed into proprietary stuff (Valkyrie or IronWill SynderCore). It is great stuff but not easy to find quick replacements for and most factory 4mm stuff sucks.

Reactions: Zac